V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2019-9-14_11-16-20.png
The petition seems to have stalled.
I have signed it.
I am going to be registering my T6 van conversion soon and expect the "panel van with windows" decision from the DVLA.
Can we muster up any more signatures?

Well on positive note, I could save a few quid now on a conversion with out having to fit a sink and cooker.

Also no need to change my my side fixed side window to a slider where the cooker would of been, even though I do not think that an slider window was an requirement for the DVLA in the first place, All items I never used in my old T5 anyway.

I do feel some conversion companies need to tell customers what will be on the V5 though.

Well on positive note, I could save a few quid now on a conversion with out having to fit a sink and cooker.

Also no need to change my my side fixed side window to a slider where the cooker would of been, even though I do not think that an slider window was an requirement for the DVLA in the first place, All items I never used in my old T5 anyway.

I do feel some conversion companies need to tell customers what will be on the V5 though.
Absolutely no need NOW, to fit anything you won't use like a sink and cooker. We haven't used our cooker or sink upto now but thats not to say we won't. Cooker is just two gas rings and handy for a brew if we are out and about.
You could always use a small potable for that though.
If I had known of this ruling before we purchased the van in june, would it have made a difference, maybe not as I can put up with 50, 60, 70 and my recent inquiry with Brentacres for Insurance, is a tad cheaper than my current Insurer.
I wonder if the DVLA will ever say the truth on why they have Imposed this ruling, which has been there for some while but not imposed, or will we just get the run around? It will be interesting to see how it affects the professional convertors in the future.

Is it all to do with the introduction on 01/09/19 of 'The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure’? I read that one specific consequence is it brings motor caravans into the higher rate VED applied to cars over £40k. It stops a T6 being purchased as a van at lower VED then converted and reclassified as a vehicle for which a higher ‘car’ rate would be applicable.

Last edited:
How do you have a CAMPERVAN and not use these things? What do you do in it??? o_O Amused.........D.
Oh its very easy, just eat out, use the electric hook up, we are not into wild camping, for the morning cuppa and we have have a Ramoska that we cook breakfast in.
Its just 500w and we put all the sausages, bacon and eggs in there and then use site facilities to wash up the little we have, so you see simple.:D No point going off for a good break and cooking all day.:D We don't have kids, much too old now and the Grandkids are too big to want to go camping with us now so life is nice and simple in the CAMPER.

Is it all to do with the introduction on 01/09/19 of 'The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure’? I read that one specific consequence is it brings motor caravans into the higher rate VED applied to cars over £40k. It stops a T6 being purchased as a van at lower VED then converted and reclassified as a vehicle for which a higher ‘car’ rate would be applicable.
Makes sense but why do these government departments never give a straight answer, keep the troops guessing I suppose.:unsure:

Bad news. The DVLA have now confirmed in writing in response to an FOI request that they will not be reclassifying ANY aftermarket or home-made conversions as motor caravans. They will only classify brand new unregistered vehicles and "coach built" vehicles. They have cooked up this change in collusion with the police - there is no legislative change, it's an internal policy decision. That means it may be easier to get MPs to bring pressure to bear - this needs a political campaign unfortunately. DVLA response below:

The primary purpose of the vehicle registration system maintained by DVLA is for road safety and revenue collection. It is vital that we do all we can to secure and maintain the accuracy and integrity of the vehicle register. This includes accurately describing the body type of the vehicle in question to assist the police in identifying vehicles involved in criminal activity.
As you are aware DVLA have recently seen an increase in the number of applications to change the body type description on their vehicle registration certificate (V5C), including converted single or double decker buses and heavy goods delivery vehicles, to what the customer describes as motor caravan. Whilst the interior of these vehicles may have been fitted with basic living facilities, the external appearance of these vehicles remains as they were constructed.
Unfortunately, there is no body type descriptor ‘living van’ or ‘camper van’ which could in some cases describe the majority of self/professional conversions of goods vehicles. ‘Motor caravan’ is the only body type description at DVLAs disposal to describe vehicles converted after first registration, either professionally or by the keeper and even those that are originally manufactured as motor caravans.
Whilst the internal specifications of a vehicle which has been converted as a 'Motor caravan' are easily defined, when describing the external appearance DVLA applies a 'reasonableness test' which is based on how someone would describe the vehicle in traffic or if parked on the road i.e. if you saw a Ford Transit with a window for example would you describe it as a 'van' or a 'motor caravan'?
As a result DVLA has reviewed the use of the body type descriptor ‘motor caravan’ in conjunction with the Police to ensure it accurately describes vehicles externally. The Police fully support the ‘reasonableness test’ and are of the opinion that if a vehicle is not first registered as a motor caravan or does not have a custom coach built body, it should not be described as a ‘motor caravan’. This means that all goods vehicles fitted with basic living facilities should be described externally as panel van, van with side windows or other relevant body type description.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/pictures_of_motor_caravan

Three years after voting leave we're still in the EU so taking a few weeks of intense inter departmental debate to come up with this explanation/work of fiction is positively lightning fast by comparison.

So are they going to retrospectively change my “motor caravan” back to a “van” then ?
(That’s a rhetorical question by the way).

Pete

Pretty sure they have said no such thing.... Link?

If the cops' argument is valid for post-June 2019 vans, why is it not valid for pre-June 2019 vans?
sure someone asked in this thread, can't be arsed to go back through all the posts. You knock yourself out ;)

I wonder when they quote 'the police', who exactly have they spoken to. 'The police' is a very broad brush. It's the Department for Transport that have set out what defines a motor caravan. Not the police, nor the DVLA. So surely the DoT should be publishing the change in guidance.

Secondly, Transporter Shuttles and Caravelles look like a van with windows. Yet they are classed as MPV diesel car. So not subject to commercial VED or restricted speed limits.

I'd struggle to come to terms with ripping out a Caravelle interior, but makes Shuttles all the more attractive a base vehicle to start your camper conversion from. Perhaps make hay while the sun still shines.

That bears out what I was told when I spoke to Westfalia when kicking around ideas for the next van. The guy I spoke to said they were having no problems registering their vans as "Motor caravans" and he assumed that Calis would be the same as they are are both registered as that from new. He didn't know about (although he was German) the problems that people were having regarding changing vehicle type as he wasn't aware that had ever been allowed, and wasn't surprised that it had been stopped. So it looks like the only way of getting a Transporter (or Sprinter/Ducato/Crafter for that matter) that is registered as a Motor Caravan will be to buy one from a type approved manufacturer rather than an aftermarket converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back