Taxing... it shouldn't be so... well, taxing

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, I bought a van last year from a leasing company that buys in bulk, takes the money and keeps the logbook for 11 months or so. The van is taxed (or was taxed until yesterday)..
They email me and ask what details to use which I replied to and then the DVLA send me an email telling me its transferred into my name. All good so far. They also tell me that I need to tax the vehicle and cant drive it on the road unless I do so. (fair enough)...
Then starts the fun.. I cant tax online because I don't have the right documents yet. I try the link, 'tax this vehicle without one of the required documents' and the proof I need, is one of the documents I don't have!
So, I reached out to the seller, who advised me to do it over the phone. First I tried the 'tax a vehicle' option, and of course the robot voice told me I would need the documents that I don't have.. Next I tried the 'any other inquiries option, to be told by another robot that they were very busy at the moment, and 'goodbye'.. I was expecting a bit of a queue.. but not a lucky dip!

Hoping someone else went through this, and there is an easy answer (something I missed..

There is, in the DVLA's email an 'online transaction ID' but I cant see where to use that.. if anywhere.

Looks like I wont be driving anywhere today....

Thanks, it appears you're not meant to use it if you didn't get the V5 from the trader after 4 weeks (says on the V62)
I should have the V5 in a few days BUT, it means until i do.. I cant use the vehicle.
Not sure 'tax applied for works these days either' !
:rolleyes:

Is the DVLA tax checker showing the van as taxed or untaxed? I would have thought that it would still be taxed until the end of the month regardless of the whereabouts of the V5.

I don't understand how it ceased to be taxed yesterday. If you SORN a vehicle in the middle of a month, it remains taxed until the end of that month.

Thanks, it appears you're not meant to use it if you didn't get the V5 from the trader after 4 weeks (says on the V62)
I should have the V5 in a few days BUT, it means until i do.. I cant use the vehicle.
Not sure 'tax applied for works these days either' !
:rolleyes:
I did the PO thing.
  • I had a new V5 a week before I was due to pick up from the camper dealer.
  • I transferred a new Reg number onto the van so they could put the new plate on, but the new V5 hadn't arrived by the day that I was due to collect.
  • First PO: explained this, showed them my existing (but now superseded) V5, "ooh no, you can't do that"
  • Second PO: "so sorry, I can't find my V5". .... "No problem, fill this in, you will get a new one sent to you!"

If you want/need it now, go to the PO, pay the extra and "ooh, sorry, can't find my V5!!"

Back