ULEZ Surprise.

Ric1962

T6 Pro
A cautionary tale to be aware of!

Two Sundays ago I had cause to go to London, a 21st birthday party. Before leaving I checked on the Transport for London website to check and confirm to myself that my camper was ULEZ compliant. Its a 2019, 150bhp with a Euro 6 engine. Put my number plate into the system checker and it came back that I was good to go and stated "This vehicle meets the ULEZ emission standards. You do not need to pay a daily ULEZ charge to drive in the zone" Excellent, so I jumped in the van and drove off back to sunny south London.

Yesterday, I received a letter with photo of my van from that lovely Mr Kahn inviting me to pay him £90 within 14 days or whatever. If I declined to pay, the sum would increase further. Nice!!

So today I've filled in the online appeal including a politely worded statement explaining why I am appealing the fine, that their own website says I am ULEZ charge exempt, and including scanned images of my V5 showing my name, address and the Euro 6 status of the vehicle and also a screenshot of the TFL website stating that my vehicle was and still is ULEZ compliant.

So I guess the lesson is that even when one company computer says YES, the company`s other computer will say NO!

Will keep things updated as they develop but I cant help but think I may have a bit of a battle on my hands.

Rick.

I just paid £290 in fines as their website had an error... I set up the account but the payment side didnt go through and I didnt know. It seems not being an expert on their systems is not a worthy excuse. I gave up and paid. I am sure you will get this sorted as your van is compliant.

My 2014 Pug Euro5 MH comes up as London Ulez Compliant, not had a ticket yet from Citizen Khan......its a lottery.
I did, however, get one for going through Newcastle City Centre after following the Highways Authority diversion for the A1 upgrade. Appealing that one too.....

My 2014 Pug Euro5 MH comes up as London Ulez Compliant, not had a ticket yet from Citizen Khan......its a lottery.
I did, however, get one for going through Newcastle City Centre after following the Highways Authority diversion for the A1 upgrade. Appealing that one too.....
That's either really sneaky of the local authority or, more likely, really incompetent of the Highways Agency.

I had a similar thing on the dartford crossing, I paid in a timely manner, then later received a fine. I somehow actually managed to talk to a human being about it who said that there was an issue with the connection between the fine system and the toll payment system! Said that it would get cancelled which I guess it has as I haven’t heard anything since.

It's more about revenue raising than emissions, I guess when all the Euro 5 diesels have gone to the scrapyard they will just change the rules to make Euro 6 diesels have to pay.
Pay per mile with time- and area-dependent charging rates will be in operation nationwide by then.

Last edited:
Simples - just dont go into London :)

I read there was a problem putting private plates onto a compliant vehicle. I checked my euro 6 after the plate went on and computer said no. I was getting ready for a fight (with dealer evidence) but computer now says yes.

I find it all funny. Your van isn't compliant so pay us a bribe so we can turn a blind eye and we'll let you spew all your dirty fumes. What a big scam. :D:D:think smile bounce: By the way, mines a euro 5!!!!

I always thought it’s nonsense. In Scotland you just can’t drive a non compliant car to the ULEZ zone.

We’ll all be driving cheap Chinese electric vehicles soon so that will be much better! :unsure:
That’s the irony of it all.
All these electric cars solar panels heat pumps etc. get made by the most part in China.
All so we reduce our carbon footprint.
Yet China increases its emissions every year by more than the whole of the UK’s total emissions.
All these wee things we are doing here to help global warming that’s costing us a fortune is like a fart in a hurricane compared to just China’s pollution alone.
It’s all a big con.
The average electric cars carbon footprint before it even hits the road is the equivalent of a diesel car running 140k miles because of the huge impact that mining for the rare minerals required for the batteries has.

That’s the irony of it all.
All these electric cars solar panels heat pumps etc. get made by the most part in China.
All so we reduce our carbon footprint.
Yet China increases its emissions every year by more than the whole of the UK’s total emissions.
All these wee things we are doing here to help global warming that’s costing us a fortune is like a fart in a hurricane compared to just China’s pollution alone.
It’s all a big con.
The average electric cars carbon footprint before it even hits the road is the equivalent of a diesel car running 140k miles because of the huge impact that mining for the rare minerals required for the batteries has.
Totally agree, but I'm sure someone will post and disagree in about 5...4...3...2...1...

Are you sure it wasn’t the congestion charge zone fine? The CC is in force between midday and 6 pm on weekends.
Euro 6 is definitely ulez compliant, but yes, TFL are robbers

Last edited:
I always thought it’s nonsense. In Scotland you just can’t drive a non compliant car to the ULEZ zone.
Yes you can. I was in Glasgow last month and it would have been quite easy to enter the LEZ with any vehicle. It was also fairly easy to avoid by using public transport or simply walking to get into the city centre.
If your vehicle was non-compliant, then you would have to pay the charge. It's a simple principle of the polluter pays

Of course you can drive it at 60quid penalty charge the first time, 120 the second, 180 the third, 240 the forth, 480 afterwards. What I mean there is no entry ticket to pay if you want to. To me make sense. Either stop the car from polluting helping people to replace old cars or nothing. No
Access by buying a ticket.

Back