ULEZ Surprise.

And coming to a city near you!

The advent of out of town shopping / internet has already left city centre’s depressed and struggling. Taxing us to enter a city will finish them off.

In the words of a famous Scotsman - ‘We’re all doooommed’

Do you think people in Govt and Civil Service are having these very same conversations and conclusions? Tis a mess and none of it really makes sense

I find it all funny. Your van isn't compliant so pay us a bribe so we can turn a blind eye and we'll let you spew all your dirty fumes. What a big scam. :D:D:think smile bounce: By the way, mines a euro 5!!!!
I don’t see it like that. We drove through Bradford as the satnav detected traffic delays on the routes either side. I had no idea when being directed that they had a clean air zone - for starters nothing in Bradford seemed clean! although I noticed the signage as I entered and paid later for the ‘privilege’ of driving through.
On the way back we deliberately drove round, even though it would have been a couple of minutes quicker to go through - we didn’t fancy paying £9 again for no real reason. So we stayed on the bigger/smoother roads which made the van more economical/less polluting and kept Bradford from getting even dirtier by having us meandering through in our camper.
So it the charge did it’s job and put us, with no reason to enter the centre, off from doing so.

I also don’t understand the Moria’s of comments you’ll see around speed cameras and again that they are just there to make money - the people that rant about that don’t seem to realise it’s their choice to break the law and if they didn’t there would be no income from speed cameras.

And coming to a city near you!

The advent of out of town shopping / internet has already left city centre’s depressed and struggling. Taxing us to enter a city will finish them off.

In the words of a famous Scotsman - ‘We’re all doooommed’
Don't PANIC Mr Mainmaring!! :p

Last edited:
I don’t see it like that. We drove through Bradford as the satnav detected traffic delays on the routes either side. I had no idea when being directed that they had a clean air zone - for starters nothing in Bradford seemed clean! although I noticed the signage as I entered and paid later for the ‘privilege’ of driving through.
On the way back we deliberately drove round, even though it would have been a couple of minutes quicker to go through - we didn’t fancy paying £9 again for no real reason. So we stayed on the bigger/smoother roads which made the van more economical/less polluting and kept Bradford from getting even dirtier by having us meandering through in our camper.
So it the charge did it’s job and put us, with no reason to enter the centre, off from doing so.

I also don’t understand the Moria’s of comments you’ll see around speed cameras and again that they are just there to make money - the people that rant about that don’t seem to realise it’s their choice to break the law and if they didn’t there would be no income from speed cameras.
Clean air zone? Bradford? :confused::):D:giggle::laugh::rofl::fast rofl:

I've just been to Heathrow in the van today as the website says I'm compliant. Going again tomorrow to fly out so they had better not send me a letter for when I get home.
Taking screenshots now ... Grrrrrr!

Quick update. Got a letter through the post today from that lovely Mr Kahn saying that my appeal has been accepted, the fine has now been cancelled and their vehicle records have now been updated.

Next time I decide to visit Mr Kahn`s personal fiefdom I will still be taking a screenshot from the TFL website, that is time and date stamped, before I go.

Just been helping my father in law with a 2000 Boxster S. Apparently compliant in ULEZ by providing the manufacturers Certificate of Conformity. However, what I found a nightmare is the Clowncil run CAZ areas across the country are not aligned, nor use the same web portals. Apparently it's compliant in Bath but not in Bristol. Same in other Cities. You would think the Clowncils would follow the same criteria, but no, just want to make it as awkward as possible so we are 'forced' to buy new vehicles. Like not being able to check an online system if you dipped into a CAZ or not by accident (hiding behind data protection BS!), not being able to set up an autopay to avoid a fine as I have just endured by dipping in by 20m in Sheffield following a Waze route with avoid tolls box checked whilst in my Euro 5 T6. Sorry, rant over!

Just been helping my father in law with a 2000 Boxster S. Apparently compliant in ULEZ by providing the manufacturers Certificate of Conformity. However, what I found a nightmare is the Clowncil run CAZ areas across the country are not aligned, nor use the same web portals. Apparently it's compliant in Bath but not in Bristol. Same in other Cities. You would think the Clowncils would follow the same criteria, but no, just want to make it as awkward as possible so we are 'forced' to buy new vehicles. Like not being able to check an online system if you dipped into a CAZ or not by accident (hiding behind data protection BS!), not being able to set up an autopay to avoid a fine as I have just endured by dipping in by 20m in Sheffield following a Waze route with avoid tolls box checked whilst in my Euro 5 T6. Sorry, rant over!
This sort of ties in the the other thread about the French “Crit air” sticker. Credit to the French, it’s a national scheme run by the government. So 1 sticker is used nationwide. It only costs €4 for the life of the vehicle. So this system is genuinely about reducing pollution & not revenue raising. If pollution reaches a given level within a certain area, the most polluting vehicles are banned, end of. You don’t get around it by paying a “pollution tax”.

This sort of ties in the the other thread about the French “Crit air” sticker. Credit to the French, it’s a national scheme run by the government. So 1 sticker is used nationwide. It only costs €4 for the life of the vehicle. So this system is genuinely about reducing pollution & not revenue raising. If pollution reaches a given level within a certain area, the most polluting vehicles are banned, end of. You don’t get around it by paying a “pollution tax”.
On googling, I found some info surrounding the CAZ set up. A petition raised for having a uniform CAZ system, plate checker and autopay was declined by our government ......... they claim it's down to the individual Clowncils to set up and administer their own systems........ and so confirms that the 'old' motors are doomed by any authority which does not want them on their land. You decide on whether its revenue generating (daily charges + fines) or genuinely awkward to force drivers into new vehicles or both.

At least if you keep a car long enough it will become exempt. My 45yr old car is exempt in all zones. However, my 30yr old bikes are exempt in CAZ areas but not in ULEZ without paying £170 each for a test procedure, which they both will 100% pass but have to pay for the privilege. Go figure!

Its the same with recycling - everywhere in the country has their own specific rules of what you can and cannot recycle / colour of bins, bags, tote boxes etc yet we all have the same rubbish!

Ditto Government mandated smart meter roll out - every supplier has their own data transmission protocols that are not compatible with each other. Change supplier and you need ‘their’ meter installing.

Rant over!

Re: The French system v ours, why are we so crap at this sort of stuff?

I guess because we put up with any old crap they throw at us ...:rolleyes:
Look at the retirement ages too - French government dares to suggest upping it there to (I think it was 63) and there were mass protests.
Here, the other week, talk of 70, maybe 72, and nobody bats an eyelid. Of course, even a peaceful protest gets you inside for longer than a murderer here now so I understand why.

As for it being Khans ULEZ- think you will find Livingston introduced it pretty much at the request of London people and especially businesses because the city was so gridlocked it was costing them millions. Any Mayor since could have removed it. Plus polling shows where people live in ‘liveable neighbourhoods’/car free zones the majority actually like the change they bring. That’s this governments own polling/surveys too when they were actually trying/hoping to get the opposite result. Hence them burying the full report.

My Newcastle experience has developed to REFUNDED, after I retrospectively applied for local exemption as a Motorhome. They remained silent on my other issue of following Highways Authority diversion due to roadworks on the A1.

Reactions: CAB
Look at the retirement ages too - French government dares to suggest upping it there to (I think it was 63) and there were mass protests.
Here, the other week, talk of 70, maybe 72, and nobody bats an eyelid. Of course, even a peaceful protest gets you inside for longer than a murderer here now so I understand why.

As for it being Khans ULEZ- think you will find Livingston introduced it pretty much at the request of London people and especially businesses because the city was so gridlocked it was costing them millions. Any Mayor since could have removed it. Plus polling shows where people live in ‘liveable neighbourhoods’/car free zones the majority actually like the change they bring. That’s this governments own polling/surveys too when they were actually trying/hoping to get the opposite result. Hence them burying the full report.
All the above may be true, but extending ULEZ is all about revenue and clean air is the sophistry of justification.

Back