T6 Euro 6 UK road tax

I knew what I was getting into beforehand just didn't get why the government merrily incentivized consumers to purchase lower-emissions cars but not the same with commercial vehicles. No doubt they realised the road tax coffers were looking a little light when everyone started buying diesel cars with little to no road tax - my 2016 2.0 tdi (150bhp) Golf was only £20 tax due to it being EU6!

One way to force the discussion in parliament is to raise a petition I can't remember how many signatures it needs to be forced to listen to us all but it's worth a try I for one will sign it. The world’s platform for change
It's 10k to force a response from the government and 100k for a debate in parliament to be considered, though I suspect it would probably take around half the electorate to sign before a government would be "forced to listen". :rolleyes:

Mine is 180 tax +390 VED up to 2026…
That's because yours is a car with a list price of above £40k.

With regards to the VED being what it is on commercials, it would be fair to assume that to most owners it will be a tax deductable expense, so depending on their tax bracket or corporation tax, the government won't be getting all of that. For those that use a commercial vehicle for private use, that's just how it is.

Can someone help me with this?

My 2021 T6.1 2litre diesel EURO6 converted panel van (into a camper - and definitely NOT a commercial vehicle!) has incurred VED of £320.
My ULEZ replacement vehicle is a 2016 diesel Euro6 engined Passat which had me pay a VED of £20.

Why?

Both vehicles have the same engine size, the same 'footprint' and the van has a much more modern engine and is supposed to be more 'eco'.

I have written to my MP and asked the same question. I don't expect a sensible answer, but I'll let you know!

Jon

@JamesWebb Your van was originally registered as a panel van, therefore will still be classed as a commercial vehicle despite the conversion and VED rated as such. Does your V5 categorise it as M1 - Passenger car, or N1 - Light good vehicle up to 3500kg?

M1 will be a much lower VED, but will be subject to the additional over £40k list price tax.

Compared to your Passat, check the emissions figures. I would guess that the weight and aerodynamics of the van would put it many groups higher.

Because as @dubber36 the system on mass doesn't have the nuance to cover folks using commercial vehicles for private use.

Also be careful what you wish for, legally mine is a private car (Caravelle) for which the Chancellor is helping themselves to my wallet for 5 years for it being a £40k+ vehicle...

They say 5 years, but it's actually 6. Firstly the on the road price includes a heavily taxed VED. This is often overlooked as it's quoted in the price we pay for the new vehicle. Then the additional posh car tax is added for the next 5 years, therefore years 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6.

@roadtripper At least you can travel at car speed limits, so if the traffic in front allows you'll get something for your money.

Ironically I tend to travel pretty much at HGV speeds on the longer roadtrips, can't be doing with the jousting and tailgating crowd to get there a few minutes earlier and several litres lighter:rofl:

But being an ex demo I did avoid the initial VED sting at least. Up to buying the van I've never owned anything newer than 5 years or paid over 15k so the VED was an unwelcome surprise.

Can someone help me with this?

My 2021 T6.1 2litre diesel EURO6 converted panel van (into a camper - and definitely NOT a commercial vehicle!) has incurred VED of £320.
My ULEZ replacement vehicle is a 2016 diesel Euro6 engined Passat which had me pay a VED of £20.

Why?

Both vehicles have the same engine size, the same 'footprint' and the van has a much more modern engine and is supposed to be more 'eco'.

I have written to my MP and asked the same question. I don't expect a sensible answer, but I'll let you know!

Jon
UK vehicles are taxed as they were first registered, if it started life as a commercial panel van it will always be taxed the same.

Hello. I'm new to the forum.
Anyway, I recently emailed my local MP to ask why Euro 6 vans incur higher road tax than Euro 4 or Euro 5, asking her to take it up with the Chancellor.
She replied, saying she could see no reason for this other than the road tax system for vans is outdated; she said she'd ask the Chancellor and would get back to me when she's received a reply.
If, like me, you have a Euro 6 van (even if you don't have one!), please write to your MP, asking them to pursue this. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people do this, it might make a difference.
(Tip: you'll have to include your name and address so that your MP will be able to respond under parliamentary rules.)
You've seen so many theories here with people trying to help you, but if you think about it as I have after the horrendous year or so of ABSOLUTELY EVERY chargable item, or service costs have gone through the roof and beyond. It seems WE ALL moan and scream to the rafters about it, but everyone is at it! My assumptions after what I see today takes me back many years to when and after we joined The European Union and the hard and fast RULES taboot. EVERYONE was up in arms with what a lot of us called some of the ridiculous rules..(Such as the selling bent bananas etc I remember!)...but as tough as it was WE ALL complied, worked with it and got used to it in practice ...INCLUDING the government.....because they also had NO CHOICE!
BREXIT happened......and it has now developed into a FREE FOR ALL, in the every which way we turn we now see bad and greedy behaviour, including the retail trade, business, services etc etc. Our world has gone mad and it seems the ones who could stop all this are as BAD AS THE WORST!
Can anyone who lived through Maggie Thatchers era see her sitting back and allowing all this to continue to push us all down the Swanee???

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: CAB
Back