AbsoluT5 carpet lining

@Absolut5 Some top notch work going on!!

What's the material you use for the panels? I'm looking for an alternative to ply for some stuff I'd like to try. Presume a composite of sorts? Ta

Depending on what it’s being trimmed in and if it’s having fixings applied to them, but normally ply or hardboard

Depending on what it’s being trimmed in and if it’s having fixings applied to them, but normally ply or hardboard

Great thanks. I've been looking at some acrylics and plastic based (foam inners) but not found anything entirely satisfactory yet. Well, I have but it's costly!!

Hi all
Can anyone point me in the right direction for amount of material i will need for my van.
Its a SWB T6 with 1 sliding door and a tailgate.
I'd like to cover all metal with one colour ....Anthracite
I'm going to use 3.6mm ply for all panels with hidden fasteners and cover them in another colour....Smoke
I want to do headlining in a different colour....not sure on colour yet.
What lengths of material do i need in each colour?
I'd like to do each side of the van with 1 piece of material so i don't get a join above the tailgate.

Evening all
I've noticed that most (could be wrong ) vans with barn doors don't seem to have full coverage of carpeting on them and the metal parts on the doors apart from the ply panels is left undone .
Is there a reason for this ? water issues?
I'm thinking about covering my barn doors off and the sliding side door, just thought i'd ask on here first :thumbsup:

It’s because they look odd when open with lining all the way to the door seal, and it’s difficult to get a good finish on the edge of the lining there.

Pete

@Absolut5 Hi mate, I've got a few questions.

When you do the carpeting in one roll do you start from the top of the offside B pillar then continue on all around the tailgate through to the nearside B pillar all on one roll of carpet with no cuts?

If you have a customer who wants to be rid of the old carpet so that you can re-do it, what do you use to remove the glue? Before you start the new carpet install.

Also which Dynamat do you use on the outer sound deadening behind the plastic wheel arch?

I'm looking to start my carpet lining again as I feel i could do better.

@Absolut5 Hi mate, I've got a few questions.

When you do the carpeting in one roll do you start from the top of the offside B pillar then continue on all around the tailgate through to the nearside B pillar all on one roll of carpet with no cuts?

If you have a customer who wants to be rid of the old carpet so that you can re-do it, what do you use to remove the glue? Before you start the new carpet install.

Also which Dynamat do you use on the outer sound deadening behind the plastic wheel arch?

I'm looking to start my carpet lining again as I feel i could do better.

Take a few pictures os the inside especially around the back quarters, as I may have a suggestion which may save you all of time, money and pm them over to me

Solvent cleaner like from megavanmats will help remove the glue

We use Skinz sound deadening on the sides, and Dynamat on the ceiling, I can do cracking deals. Possibly the cheapest in the uk on Skinz

Take a few pictures os the inside especially around the back quarters, as I may have a suggestion which may save you all of time, money and pm them over to me

Solvent cleaner like from megavanmats will help remove the glue

We use Skinz sound deadening on the sides, and Dynamat on the ceiling, I can do cracking deals. Possibly the cheapest in the uk on Skinz
Thanks for the reply, I will PM you some pictures over. Thanks for the recommendation too.

Any reason why you dont either just use Dynamat or Skinz for all over rather than mixing?

Ok people...
I'm about to carpet but I haven't found definitive advice on how to keep the lower side panels adequately ventilated to prevent the tailgate from bouncing.
I am yet to receive my plywood panels so I am not entirely sure how low they are cut but they're definitely lower than the standard panels which look like swiss cheese in comparison.
What have people done please?

Ok people...
I'm about to carpet but I haven't found definitive advice on how to keep the lower side panels adequately ventilated to prevent the tailgate from bouncing.
I am yet to receive my plywood panels so I am not entirely sure how low they are cut but they're definitely lower than the standard panels which look like swiss cheese in comparison.
What have people done please?
Hi, what's the bouncing Tailgate issue? I've just carpeted my twin slider Kombi which has a tailgate. Carpeted over solid panels with hidden clips.

Hi, what's the bouncing Tailgate issue? I've just carpeted my twin slider Kombi which has a tailgate. Carpeted over solid panels with hidden clips.
i believe the issue centres around shutting the tailgate as the air pressure enters the vehicle and does not escape it creates pressure on the tailgate ( buffering ) not a common issue......but with the weave of some carpets the air can pass through....sometimes if you shut the drivers door with the extra door seal a similar thing happens:)

i believe the issue centres around shutting the tailgate as the air pressure enters the vehicle and does not escape it creates pressure on the tailgate ( buffering ) not a common issue......but with the weave of some carpets the air can pass through....sometimes if you shut the drivers door with the extra door seal a similar thing happens:)

Right, ok makes sense. I have a VW bike carrier, insulation, lights, van shades window blind pods and carpet on mine so it weighs some! Nothing gonna stop mine from closing. I actually have to hang onto it from slamming too hard.

Fair enough. I'll just go ahead and if it doesn't shut I'll add some weight!

Cheers.

Right, ok makes sense. I have a VW bike carrier, insulation, lights, van shades window blind pods and carpet on mine so it weighs some! Nothing gonna stop mine from closing. I actually have to hang onto it from slamming too hard.
If it’s slamming too hard ...do you have the correct Gas Struts
7E0827550B - Standard strut 900 N
7E0827550C - Caravelle strut 985N
7E0827550D - California strut 1200N
I've got an electric kombi tailgate with Caravelle door trim ..it’s fine..but some converters forget that if you increase the non-electric tail gate weight you’ve got to upgrade the struts..hope that makes sense :thumbsup:

If it’s slamming too hard ...do you have the correct Gas Struts
7E0827550B - Standard strut 900 N
7E0827550C - Caravelle strut 985N
7E0827550D - California strut 1200N
I've got an electric kombi tailgate with Caravelle door trim ..it’s fine..but some converters forget that if you increase the non-electric tail gate weight you’ve got to upgrade the struts..hope that makes sense :thumbsup:
Yep, I made the mistake of adding silentcoat to the inside of the tailgate when I insulated it out. I have 1250nm struts from Transporter HQ and even they didn't hold it up fully! Had to strip out the silentcoat to take some weight off. The tailgate is now fine and holds up on its own, just a little heavy on closing.

Back