Window fitting to a lined panel van

Kirky1980

VIP Member
Hi all I got a t6 panel van and use it for working out of but also have an ovano setup so use it for camping also, it’s been insulated and carpeted and lights, I was thinking about having a couple of windows put in and went to someone and asked but they said because it had already been lined out would make it hard to match up or finish window on drivers side as it’s one large panel front to back what’s been carpeted, so question is does anyone just have a single window fitted at all or would you fit the sliding door one in and have a fake one to match on other side, or does anybody know who would be able to fit a window in the problem side and finish it with what’s there

Hi all I got a t6 panel van and use it for working out of but also have an ovano setup so use it for camping also, it’s been insulated and carpeted and lights, I was thinking about having a couple of windows put in and went to someone and asked but they said because it had already been lined out would make it hard to match up or finish window on drivers side as it’s one large panel front to back what’s been carpeted, so question is does anyone just have a single window fitted at all or would you fit the sliding door one in and have a fake one to match on other side, or does anybody know who would be able to fit a window in the problem side and finish it with what’s there
I can’t see why any converter worth his salt couldn’t make a proper job of it.

I can’t see why any converter worth his salt couldn’t make a proper job of it.
Well I went to someone today who said wouldn’t be able to do it without it looking a mess and that they wouldn’t be able to match the carpet up either but I’m not entirely sure what people can and can’t do on these vans :)

Time to visit a different converter. I would have thought it would be easy enough to make a cut to the carpet about an inch inside the panel shape then peel it back to reveal the interior skin. Then cut out with a nibbler, glue the carpet back and over the newly cut lip then bond the window on. Job done.
Or am I missing something?

Time to visit a different converter. I would have thought it would be easy enough to make a cut to the carpet about an inch inside the panel shape then peel it back to reveal the interior skin. Then cut out with a nibbler, glue the carpet back and over the newly cut lip then bond the window on. Job done.
Or am I missing something?
Well I’m in the trade but I ain’t no converter but I thought exactly the same thing, thought could cut a large ish square in the middle area then cut the rest out like you say and peel carpet and restick it down, I’m based Cambridge way so if anyone knows who can do this please let me know

Well I’m in the trade but I ain’t no converter but I thought exactly the same thing, thought could cut a large ish square in the middle area then cut the rest out like you say and peel carpet and restick it down, I’m based Cambridge way so if anyone knows who can do this please let me know
I honestly can’t see the problem. The windows are bonded on the outside. As @Bigsidavies says, nibble out the aperture, bond the glass to the outside & then there’s a rubber trim on the inside that covers the cut edge. The trim also covers the cut edge of the carpet.

If a convertor is very busy and only wants complete conversions (i.e. big bucks) then they may just be saying this to send you elsewhere.

A couple of years ago I enquired about a Pop Top only but it was mid lockdown and the convertors I contacted only wanted Full Conversion jobs, as they had full order book for months ahead.

If a convertor is very busy and only wants complete conversions (i.e. big bucks) then they may just be saying this to send you elsewhere.

A couple of years ago I enquired about a Pop Top only but it was mid lockdown and the convertors I contacted only wanted Full Conversion jobs, as they had full order book for months ahead.
I think you hit the nail on the head, why mess about when there’s relatively easy money to be made doing standard work.

Yeah possibly and didn’t look that busy to be fair so maybe just never done anything apart from doing it all from scratch what obviously would be easier to deal with but will just have to try and find someone else who is willing to do that little bit extra, also is there any particular windows what are better than others before I get anything

Have you thought about one of those services that comes to you? I had two windows put in on my driveway. The guy used a power saw rather than a nibbler. I guess if you’re willing to hoover the inside carpeted walls and floor afterwards, I can’t see why they would object. With mine they cut it from the inside and a guy stood outside with a vac hose following the blade around.

They were called A1 windscreens and use Camperglass windows. I had mine put in before the lining.

When you say one large panel, do you mean a ply panel which has been carpeted? That would be extra work, but not impossible for someone owning a saw.

When you say one large panel, do you mean a ply panel which has been carpeted? That would be extra work, but not impossible for someone owning a saw.
Yes a full ply panel across the back behind the drivers side, and yeah I understand the extra work but if doing that kinda thing as a living/business I would’ve thought it must be fairly common practice now and again and come up a regular ish ha

Have you thought about one of those services that comes to you? I had two windows put in on my driveway. The guy used a power saw rather than a nibbler. I guess if you’re willing to hoover the inside carpeted walls and floor afterwards, I can’t see why they would object. With mine they cut it from the inside and a guy stood outside with a vac hose following the blade around.

They were called A1 windscreens and use Camperglass windows. I had mine put in before the lining.
Haven’t thought about using something like that or looked but yeah would be much easier to have a window fitted first then finish to the window which is what the place was saying where I went other day

Reactions: CJW
DIY is often the way forward with this stuff, taking the time to do it right and having a bit of patience goes a long way.
I'm also based Cambridge way and about to start a full fit out of windows on the side and a pop roof at the same time.
Happy to lend a hand if mine meet the required standard when fitted ;)

DIY is often the way forward with this stuff, taking the time to do it right and having a bit of patience goes a long way.
I'm also based Cambridge way and about to start a full fit out of windows on the side and a pop roof at the same time.
Happy to lend a hand if mine meet the required standard when fitted ;)
I’m not sure whether to attempt it myself or not really but would be a lot easier if I wasn’t already lined and carpeted out I suppose and appreciate the offer, surprised we haven’t seen each other about then as always running around Cambridge in mine ha

You'll hardly miss the van when you do spot it. Give it a couple of weeks and I'll have a relatively comprehensive guide on some of the ins and outs.
This is coming from someone with a fully lined and kitted out panel van and starting over again from about the halfway point

You'll hardly miss the van when you do spot it. Give it a couple of weeks and I'll have a relatively comprehensive guide on some of the ins and outs.
This is coming from someone with a fully lined and kitted out panel van and starting over again from about the halfway point
Ah right so you’re much the same and yeah be interesting, be nice to have a look and see how you do yours maybe ha and I can see in the profile picture of your gleaming van and looks nice
Would love a pop top also but I do work out of my van so not sure it’s worth it

Another Cambs-based self converter here!
Our glass arrives tomorrow and then just need to pluck up the courage to cut a hole in the van. (Insulated / deadened / no carpet, yet)

Another Cambs-based self converter here!
Our glass arrives tomorrow and then just need to pluck up the courage to cut a hole in the van. (Insulated / deadened / no carpet, yet)
Yeah a lot people seem to do this themselves and many vids etc, maybe if mine wasn’t already carpeted etc would have ago at the window but I know I will mess it up somehow ha

one of these fitted onto the door after fitting your windows will pretty much cover up most of the sins you commit during fitting ;)
Just the same as in a house, the coving and skirting more often than not covers up all sorts :slow rofl:

Back