T6 Bulbs & Lamps

It will annoy some oncoming drivers but stick your fogs on (those with H4s or H7s) with your lamps raised as high as they go - the fog lights are surprisingly bright and fill in a low darkish patch directly in front of the van and "fill in" the light pattern rather well, especially when the headlights are dipped. Clearly not ideal for when there's loads of oncoming traffic but for quiet, country lanes, it's ideal.
We do the same with our Subaru too which has big fog lights.
The BM has none but then it has sodding bright xenons which are rather effective.

A thought struck me today - LED lights are sometimes cheaper to make (they require a small circuit board but that's it) than halogens - I wonder if cheeky VW is keeping the halogen output low (for H4s) encouraging many to upgrade to the "essential" LEDs while they might actually cost VW less (or a similar price). Hmmmm...

There is loads to the LED system, each headlight has 2 power/control boxes 1 for each of the LEDs each side and then theres the self levelling system that uses sensors on all four corners all wired back to the controller in the dash, i was surprised at how involved the system is

The H4s are so poor that yesterday I accidentally drove past 5 cars with my full beam on and none of them flashed me!
I actually tried that a few weeks ago......and got the same reaction.......ie, none! I hated doing it just incase I dazzled anyone.....fat chance of that!!!!!!!

This has probably been said time and time again but the lights on these things as standard are just not good enough.
The headlights are shocking, and the reversing lights/light is no use.
Possibly if I'd bought a low spec, cheapest option van but a highline with 204 engine?
Did I hear someone say class action?
I don't see why I should have to have spent another 1200/1500 quid just to be safe at night.

This has probably been said time and time again but the lights on these things as standard are just not good enough.
The headlights are shocking, and the reversing lights/light is no use.
Possibly if I'd bought a low spec, cheapest option van but a highline with 204 engine?
Did I hear someone say class action?
I don't see why I should have to have spent another 1200/1500 quid just to be safe at night.

Maybe an e-petition signed by members of the forum and presented to VW about how utterly useless the standard H4 set-up is could elicit some response?

Try and push them into recall and retro-fit the H7 units (wishfull thinking, I know!)

Sounds like a plan, anyone good at organising??
@Pauly, could we progress this with the backing of the forum?

Do we have any solicitors/lawyers on here (or anyone with good legal speak knowledge) who could draft a petition header?

We have over 600 members on here- say 400 of them have H4 set up, might create a bit of leverage.

Maybe even link on the T6 section of the T4 forum?

Have any of you tried H7 units? If anyone wants to try mine, you're welcome to; you just need to be in North Cornwall!
Maybe something scientific would help? A light meter recording output in lumens then compare H4s and H7s but also compare a T5.1 standard light to see if they've got worse.

There must be a minimum output required by law?

It's rather off that VW are more or less "forcing" buyers to upgrade to £1600 LED headlights.

Have any of you tried H7 units? If anyone wants to try mine, you're welcome to; you just need to be in North Cornwall!
Maybe something scientific would help? A light meter recording output in lumens then compare H4s and H7s but also compare a T5.1 standard light to see if they've got worse.

There must be a minimum output required by law?

It's rather off that VW are more or less "forcing" buyers to upgrade to £1600 LED headlights.
That's the thing, when I ordered my T6, I thought the only choice was standard or LED. The £1600 seemed excessive as, come on, how bad can the standard set-up be???!!! (Boy, have we learned the hard way)

I didn't even know that there was a middle option of H7 twin headlamps!

The original spec was H4 standard (non LED tail lamps), H7s for California Ocean and Caravelles (with LED tail lights) then an option of the LEDs for both.
So the LED option is much better value for a standard van but still a silly amount for lights.

I'd say the H7s are similar to our T5.1 Cali lights for output; sounds like the H4s are more like LR Defender lights; appalling.

It needs someone with good light/physics/technical knowledge (I'm up on pushbike lights but not car/van ones) someone with a bit of law experience and someone with good access to senior management at VW.

Oh and social media is good for causing a stir - I used it to make BMW pay for a new windscreen when the wiper flew off due to poor design.

If the forum gives its blessing, I'll draft a header for an e-petition for review (if no one else more qualified wants to do it!) for perusal and amendment over the next couple of days (works night out tonight and subsequent hangover penciled in for Sunday). This can maybe be directed to a relevant department within VW if a suitable number of signatures can be obtained.
I know this will most likely fall on its backside, but nothing ventured etc.

Could also link to any relevant Facebook pages and other social media sites that may be out there.

I've just left a message on their FB page letting them know many owners are unhappy. A similar tactic helped me get a years "free" warranty extension on our old California. It's just testing the water really to see if it's worth pursuing.
I'll see what the response is and let you all know ASAP - the FB page is great for high profile "bad PR" (one thing I CAN do is PR and marketing both positive and negative...).

I have been following the threads on all the lights and i can't believe vw on high end vans fit lights that are not fit for purpose! If i had them i would be doing as you are @CRD as it is not acceptable or safe at all !!

I will support you in any way i can

I must be the only one that thinks the leds were a fair price. In comparison to the van and what they achieve.

Leds maybe be cheap too manufacturer but it's the projector technology that's your paying for. The projector optics involved is what throws the light out nice and wide and evenly. And there are 2 per light.

I must be the only one that thinks the leds were a fair price. In comparison to the van and what they achieve.

Leds maybe be cheap too manufacturer but it's the projector technology that's your paying for. The projector optics involved is what throws the light out nice and wide and evenly. And there are 2 per light.
But you shouldn't HAVE to spec them to get proper lights.
On a top end Highline (or Sportline), lights so poor is just not on.

I'll sign up. I've fitted some Phillips something or other, which are a massive improvement but still not great.

Back