T6 Bulbs & Lamps

rear light.jpg

I’m trying to replace the interior light to LED bulbs. All done
when I trying to remove this clear plastic but can’t
Anyone can help me how to remove this
Thank you

Pull and wiggle but they can be quite tight
I use a pair of pliers with a bit of tape over the ends to protect the glass

@fezza68 any chance you post some pictures up when they’re all installed please, been meaning to upgrade mine to led.
Where did you purchase the kit from if you don’t mind me asking.

Yeah its the cab light from my shuttle,its the ones in the rear that i need help with...sausage fingers and the touch of a rapist like i have is a definite way to break it..lol
Il put up some pics when my mate who has a body shop does them for me on monday.

Got the bulbs out and the leds I got from travelinlite don’t want to go in,they look a bit thicker if that makes sense. Anyone who has done this mod got any links as to where they got theirs from?.

Replacing the Halogen H4 bulbs to LED's (info).
LED bulbs are decent for upgrading the poor dull headlight bulbs VW supply. (I've seen the installation).
LED bulbs in the headlight unit are quite easy to change... but not the main beam ones its a task and a half.
The DRL's and the sidelights are easy to change just a simple replace nothing is unusual.
The main beam H4's are not easy to replace and the ballast box (which is needed) has nowhere to go if your lucky
you can jam it into the unit and seal everything back up. To fully stop the ballast from rattling round
you will have to do micro surgery and stuff it into an impossible space drill holes, use silicone cable ties etc etc
to make sure the unit is sealed from the elements - or alternitavely some people with no brain cells just botch a big hole
into the big seal/cover and concede to having wet lights with the condensation because they cant stand the amount of brain
power it takes to come up with a viable solution.

Overall its a very stressful job that takes about a day you need 2 people.
If you've never done it before its just ridiculous how annoying it is.
Anybody who says its plug and play is a moron I'm a decent joiner and it was not fun in any way shape or form.
Wish i never decided to change em over for a pal but to get it done at a shop would cost about allot i imagine because of labour.

Haven't had a chance to properly see the effect they will have on his van but on first analysis the change is like night and day.
Perfection looked like turning on a nice HD screen or something like that nice full soft white light.
(The twenty 20 impact H4's) just fitted into headlight capsule by the skin of they're teeth during my friends install with a push.
with the ballast box issue having nowhere to sit as stated before. (box is really slim and short on 20 20's.) In reality they don't fit
but a few hours later and a missed meal got sorted in the end.

If your handy with tools and feel comfortable doing tricky and i mean tricky stressful jobs that you haven't ever done before
then go for it id say because the change is spot on by my eye and my friend had a few near misses in the dark before with the
poor standard of halogen bulb that came with van.

Bear in mind you have to hold the lights and could damage the paint on bumper etc etc also its not a fun game like they make out
on the adverts for all the upgraded parts online. Get a set of plastic trim tools as well save yourself some blood sweat and tears.

For anybody who is thinking about led's then don't go for anything else. LED's are very very substantial in my opinion......!
At the end of the day when your on those night time adventures in the forest/on the coast or wherever you find
yourself the van won't struggle and let you down once you've sorted the problem out so personally i think its worth it might do
it on my own van but don't want to think about dong it any time soon once is enough. Haha - really its not that bad but just an
honest review of the whole situation having just done a pair with a friend on his.

He used.
Twenty 20 impact H4's - Which have a little tiny slim ballast box with them.
382 Twenty20 Elegance Canbus LED Bulb - Daytime running lights.
501 Twenty20 C3 Canbus LED's (White) - sidelights.
I saw brighter options online but after seeing in person any brighter would definitely be too bright.

I'm not trying to promote this brand in any form to road users, i couldn't care less what other people choose
to buy or do with their own personal property and i am not responsible for it either.

Hope this helps explain the situation in best way possible and my personal advice also is if your doing it do em all
at once. The indicator isn't important to change in my opinion and the ones under the wing mirrors match so cant tell being
amber anyway.

Anyway good look to anyone reading this who plans on going ahead hopefully it helps to summon up some zen,
You will need it.

A very comprehensive write up but aren’t led bulbs illegal? Or are we talking about a whole unit replacement, I’m sorry but I can’t tell from the description.

Where do you guys buy your bulb packs when travelling to Europe.

I know that any old Poundland bulbs will be sufficient to comply with legislation, but I’m thinking that I’d rather carry around something of practical use.

Ta

With all being LED modules etc, I can't see the point.

I have a generic bulb kit from Halfords, the Vel has LEDs all round so I’ll never use it. I’ve had a few run ins with the Gendarmerie, it’s easier just to comply.

Reactions: JOG
The need for spare bulbs is outdated and has been for some while - even though it is still technically law in many EU countries. I remember that the owners handbook for my old Audi A4 (2004) told you to take the car to the dealer to change the headlight bulbs! And that was with halogen lights. The problem was that the whole headlight had to be removed (or moved forward - a 2 person job) to gain the clearance to change the bulb. With today’s LED or Xenon lights and even more congested engine bays it’s going to be even harder to change a bulb at the side of the road.
Doesn’t hurt to carry a selection though just in case you are asked to show them.

Back