T6.1 oil level warning: Reduce Oil Level!

I ignore all the dealer schedules, 5k oil and filter, 10k VW service, then 5k oil/filter again.

I’d like to think my bus will pretty much last forever with this maintenance plan.
Each to there own I suppose.
I had a 1.9 Transporter which covered over 200k on long life services. Never had any issues, until the gearbox failed. It still sold for good money on Ebay.
A friend also changes his oil & filter at 5k.
His suffered catastrophic engine failure at 275k. To be honest, everything else was failing anyway, but the engine was strong up to this point.
Personally, I would rather keep my money, and keep up with long life services.
It suits me as it seems modern vehicles just don`t seem to be built for longevity anyway.

I ignore all the dealer schedules, 5k oil and filter, 10k VW service, then 5k oil/filter again.

I’d like to think my bus will pretty much last forever with this maintenance plan.
Out of interest, what extra bits do they do when you take it in?

I had a 1.9 Transporter which covered over 200k on long life services. Never had any issues, until the gearbox failed. It still sold for good money on Ebay.
His suffered catastrophic engine failure at 275k. To be honest, everything else was failing anyway, but the engine was strong up to this point.
It suits me as it seems modern vehicles just don`t seem to be built for longevity anyway.

Failed at 275k - thats rubbish, I’m never buying a VW again! :)

Also true!

200k, wonder how many flywheels I'll need, already started a savings plan

Failed at 275k - thats rubbish, I’m never buying a VW again! :)
Yep, not bad. But so it should with an oil change at every 5k.
I've driven Sprinters that had over 600k on the clock, still on original running gear, with complete service print outs
I also had one that was a complete bag of shite, and only managed 60k before I got rid

I pay about £75 for an oil/filter change, VW 10k services have been in the region of £270ish , but at 3 years I think there’s a few bigger bits like DSG and various belts.

I’m not selling my bus so the extra maintenance, premium diesel etc should keep the van in good health for years to come.

Yep DSG oil change at year 3. More expensive than I expected apparently due to heating and cooling periods required to do the job. My independent did it was £200 plus I think. God knows what VW charge.

This has been discussed before but has anybody else had this same issue thats now been resolved ?

Mines been back into VW dealer twice now with no success of getting to the bottom of it!

Pop the bonnet the fault clears, drive 60miles ( doesn’t matter if its stop/ start or a consistent journey ) and bring the warning light appears.

The VW dealer want it in again for another day to look at it. Im not convinced they will succeed and its frustrating me having to put up without a van for day

I apologise for the dusty dash

AD97F39E-D5F5-44CF-B31B-46D5FD8FF07D.png

obviously i checked that and oil level all fine and in between the lines. As i said its been back to VW two times now. Im sure if it wasn't correct they would have picked up on that.

Have they replaced anything yet, or just looked at it?

Pete

I would insist they change whatever sensor measures this, as a minimum. Ask them precisely what they are going to do differently this time it goes in.
How old is it ?

Pete

I would insist they change whatever sensor measures this, as a minimum. Ask them precisely what they are going to do differently this time it goes in.
How old is it ?

Pete
2020 T6.1 150ps, iv had it from brand new in july.
How old is it ?

Pete
I have had the van from brand new in july this year its the T6.1 highline 150ps

They haven’t replaced anything. No fault appears on diagnostics so they just pop the bonnet and send me ob my way when i go to pick van up
Do you still get the oil level reminder every 60 miles (100km ;) ) or was VW able to clear the warning permanently?

No VW were not able to get to the bottom of it other than tell me its fine to drive and just keep opening and closing bonnet . But i have siphoned oil out to get the level bellow half way on dipstick and that has cleared the fault for me, i have done over 1400 miles since with no warning light or issues.

Reactions: mmi
Back