T6.1 oil level warning: Reduce Oil Level!

Do you still get the oil level reminder every 60 miles (100km ;) ) or was VW able to clear the warning permanently?
No VW were not able to get to the bottom of it other than tell me its fine to drive and just keep opening and closing bonnet . But i have siphoned oil out to get the level bellow half way on dipstick and that has cleared the fault for me, i have done over 1400 miles since with no warning light or issues.

Thanks for sharing the trick! Indeed it seems the warning won't clear permanently just by opening and closing bonnet. It keeps coming back every 100 km's unless oil level is reduced significantly (below some unknown threshold) and let engine to register that. Obviously there is a software update on the way as this seems to be quite widespread annoyance of T6.1 engines (such as this thread: Overfilled oil engine light)

No VW were not able to get to the bottom of it other than tell me its fine to drive and just keep opening and closing bonnet . But i have siphoned oil out to get the level bellow half way on dipstick and that has cleared the fault for me, i have done over 1400 miles since with no warning light or issues.

I picked my van up on thurs and on the way home got this issue, yesterday the AA drained 1.25L of oil to bring it just under max. Today I had the error again and it has risen (not by much - I've only done 120 dual carriageway miles since the AA saw it). VW Assist mentioned the software needs updating but didn't seem bothered about the affects of diesel in the oil (& I think 1.25l is significant!).

Should we be concerned about viscosity and engine/turbo wear? I don't want to be paying for catastrophic engine damage just when the warranty runs out in a couple years!

(Mine is 10 months old and has 14k, no idea if previous owner took care of it or run it on diesel both sides of the engine!)

Fuel dilution of engine oil will cause engine wear, the more fuel the worse it is. I would have expected VW to do oil analysis to check for fuel dilution.
You’re right to think that 1.25L is significant, as far as I can remember the oil capacity is 7L.
I’ve never heard of a crankcase explosion in an auto’ engine, they happen in marine engines, very dangerous situation.
Info on fuel dilution of lube oil; Crankcase dilution - Wikipedia

Last edited:
We have a couple of vans with this issue. Even though the oil level isn’t over the Max. No doubt a software issue.

I have the same problem exactly the same sequence of events however I was told they had changed two control Modules. It’s currently back at dealership for the third time. On another note the side windows were leaking and took 6weeks for Germany to send out new replacement windows as they had no idea of a cure. The loan van windows also leaked !!!

A customer had the same issue with a brand new mazda, which turned out to be a fuel/regen issue due to 'round town' driving, after a bit of (alot of) dealer faffing about a buy back was organised as they were unable to remedy the issue....

Hi there New to forum ...
I have had the van from brand new in july this year its the T6.1 highline 150ps
same issue ... dealer reduced oil ... then same problem

Hi there New to forum ...
I have had the van from brand new in july this year its the T6.1 highline 150ps
same issue ... dealer reduced oil ... then same problem
I don't understand how just reducing the oil level is a satisfactory solution to the problem. I agree with @DXX, the cause is likely to be diesel entering the sump due to failed regenerations. As others have said, oil analysis would prove or disprove this.
So reducing the oil level just means that people are driving around quite happily with a sump containing a mixture of oil and diesel. (or worse, coolant!)
IMHO if the oil level needs reducing then the oil should be drained and it should be refilled with the correct amount of new, uncontaminated oil. (and a new filter should be fitted).
To just keep removing some excess oil is kicking the can down the road and might end up being a very expensive mistake.
Just my non expert opinion.

I don't understand how just reducing the oil level is a satisfactory solution to the problem. I agree with @DXX, the cause is likely to be diesel entering the sump due to failed regenerations. As others have said, oil analysis would prove or disprove this.
So reducing the oil level just means that people are driving around quite happily with a sump containing a mixture of oil and diesel. (or worse, coolant!)
IMHO if the oil level needs reducing then the oil should be drained and it should be refilled with the correct amount of new, uncontaminated oil. (and a new filter should be fitted).
To just keep removing some excess oil is kicking the can down the road and might end up being a very expensive mistake.
Just my non expert opinion.
Completely agree and think the Dealers need to come clean with this. Randomly replacing parts arent solving the issue and the contamination is going to cause issues later down the line.

Listers have changed various components after 6 visits however thru raising a complaint finally have the answer VW Germany are working on a software update which should be available late March / April. Until then open and closing the bonnet is the only way forward (every two days). Oil analysis has been done with nothing present

Thats interesting that nothing was present in the oil, surely for it to be over filled there must have been diesel in there (i know once the sensor is activated the software is pretty sensitive/temperamental and will flag up regularly- even when the excess has been drained).

Did they change your oil at any point in relation to this?

Listers have changed various components after 6 visits however thru raising a complaint finally have the answer VW Germany are working on a software update which should be available late March / April. Until then open and closing the bonnet is the only way forward (every two days). Oil analysis has been done with nothing present

Same problem with my Kombi, T6.1 110 Highline.

Have been receiving the message for the last couple of months. Finally took it to the nearest VW Van Centre (Cleckheaton). They told me they had dealt with the issue.

Now only 2 weeks later the same message is appearing again. Obviously seems to be a common problem, which reading the messages VW don’t know how to resolve yet.

Hopefully they can come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

I did check the oil level when the light first came on and it was within the range.

Now the light has come on again, I have not checked the oil level.

To be fair I’ve had the van new since August and I’ve only done approx 3k miles. In the 5 months since delivery I’ve not topped the oil level so there’s no reason the oil should be high since it was filled in the factory.

I did check the oil level when the light first came on and it was within the range.

Now the light has come on again, I have not checked the oil level.

To be fair I’ve had the van new since August and I’ve only done approx 3k miles. In the 5 months since delivery I’ve not topped the oil level so there’s no reason the oil should be high since it was filled in the factory.
A dipstick is a tried and tested foolproof method of showing the oil level. An electronic sensor is not.
Always trust the dipstick over the sensor, believe what you see rather than what an electronic device tells you!

A dipstick is a tried and tested foolproof method of showing the oil level. An electronic sensor is not.
Always trust the dipstick over the sensor, believe what you see rather than what an electronic device tells you!
Loads of dipsticks at my work I would trust any of them , wrong dipstick sorry

Thats interesting that nothing was present in the oil, surely for it to be over filled there must have been diesel in there (i know once the sensor is activated the software is pretty sensitive/temperamental and will flag up regularly- even when the excess has been drained).

Did they change your oil at any point in relation to this?
Hi
No they Havnt changed it and said software would be available this month April

Attachments

• B8PHS.pdf
    105.4 KB · Views: 47
Back