T6.1 oil level warning: Reduce Oil Level!

My T6.1 was in this morning for the software update to resolve the oil level to high warning, time will tell if it’s a fix .

This has been discussed before but has anybody else had this same issue thats now been resolved ?

Mines been back into VW dealer twice now with no success of getting to the bottom of it!

Pop the bonnet the fault clears, drive 60miles ( doesn’t matter if its stop/ start or a consistent journey ) and bring the warning light appears.

The VW dealer want it in again for another day to look at it. Im not convinced they will succeed and its frustrating me having to put up without a van for day

I apologise for the dusty dash

View attachment 88250
Mine's done that as well. Same symptoms. T6.1 4motion, 150ps. Pop the bonnet, check oil. No light. Colins of Probus is my go to garage near me and they are quality, but it's stumped them. They checked the soot level with the DPF and all's good there. The quest for answers continues...

I’m another that has this problem! 19 plate T6 with 14k. AA removed about a litre of oil to bring the dipstick reading to halfway. Its booked in tomorrow for an oil change and new filter. I’ll see what that does. Have VW acknowledged this yet and admitted its a software issue?

Any body else had this??? First happened at 990 miles AA drained the oil level then it happened again at 1060 its now been recovered at taken back to a dealship...

View attachment 76454
I’ve had a similar problem with mine. Taken it in to VW who say it’s a software issue and they are awaiting a new update? Not sure how true this is

Hi there New to forum ...
I have had the van from brand new in july this year its the T6.1 highline 150ps
same issue ... dealer reduced oil ... then same problem
It seems to be a software issue according to my VW dealer

If the software issue is causing fuel dilution of the sump oil it will eventually become a terminal hardware issue.
The earlier comment regarding the AA removing 1L of oil to get the dipstick level down to 50% should be worrying as the total oil capacity is 7L.
See earlier content in the thread regarding fuel dilution, it’s not an inconvenience, it will trash your engine.

If the software issue is causing fuel dilution of the sump oil it will eventually become a terminal hardware issue.
The earlier comment regarding the AA removing 1L of oil to get the dipstick level down to 50% should be worrying as the total oil capacity is 7L.
See earlier content in the thread regarding fuel dilution, it’s not an inconvenience, it will trash your engine.
My oil level has never been high, not sure about anyone else’s?

My 110 T6.1 was in for its first 1500km service at my local mechanic. The next day the over full light came on so I took it back twice in two days. After that ot came on again and so I called VW to book it in and they said the wrong oil can make that message appear.
With that in mind I called my local mechanic back and they checked with their Penrite rep who suggested a different one of their oils. They drained my engine and topped it up till it was exactly to the mark on the dipstick and what would you guess, the very next day the message appeared again.
Its going back to VW next week and I'm going to ask about this software update thanks to this thread. I'll let you all know how it ends up.

My 110 T6.1 was in for its first 1500km service at my local mechanic. The next day the over full light came on so I took it back twice in two days. After that ot came on again and so I called VW to book it in and they said the wrong oil can make that message appear.
With that in mind I called my local mechanic back and they checked with their Penrite rep who suggested a different one of their oils. They drained my engine and topped it up till it was exactly to the mark on the dipstick and what would you guess, the very next day the message appeared again.
Its going back to VW next week and I'm going to ask about this software update thanks to this thread. I'll let you all know how it ends up.
Yes I would ask buddy, I’ve been in twice to VW.
first they checked it, cleared the message which reappeared again. 2nd time they called VW U.K. and they said it’s a software issue, but they don’t have the update ready yet. Which is concerning!! At no point has my engine oil level been too high.
at the moment I’m driving around with the warning light on.

I’ve had my oil drained and refilled, along with a filter change following my last post. The garage I took it to is owned by a guy who is ex-VW. He told me that the Passats had this very same issue a few years back and in the end it was solved with an update.

He put me at ease by saying unless you drive it you wont ever know theres a problem, so continue to do so. So long as you know where the oil is on the dipstick once any work has been carried out to rectify it (and its within the acceptable range), then the next time the light comes on and you check it and it remains within that range then you don't need to worry. Where things need to get panicky are when what DXX has eluded to happens... If you check your dipstick today and take a mental note of where its at, and the light appears and the level hasn't risen then relax and await the update. If though the level has clearly and obviously risen following a light illumination since the last time then go straight to VW to ensure DXX’s theory isn't occurring!

Its also work noting that T6 engines take 6.4L of oil, T6.1 take 7.2L.

Just joined the forum as I have acquired a 2020MY T6.1 Highline with 6700 on the clock, recently converted to campervan. Having the same issue....was literally 40 miles after picking it up from the dealer and the warning came on.

Checked the oil and it was sitting on the MAX. Have done 600 miles now and it does it at least once a day. Having once had an Audi A4 with a persistent oil level sensor problem I do at least know opening and closing the bonnet resets the damn thing.....until it comes back again.

As the van is still 11,000 miles away from its first service I am sorely tempted to change the oil anyway and see what happens......or should I take it to a VW dealer??

Just joined the forum as I have acquired a 2020MY T6.1 Highline with 6700 on the clock, recently converted to campervan. Having the same issue....was literally 40 miles after picking it up from the dealer and the warning came on.

Checked the oil and it was sitting on the MAX. Have done 600 miles now and it does it at least once a day. Having once had an Audi A4 with a persistent oil level sensor problem I do at least know opening and closing the bonnet resets the damn thing.....until it comes back again.

As the van is still 11,000 miles away from its first service I am sorely tempted to change the oil anyway and see what happens......or should I take it to a VW dealer??
Assuming it's still under warranty it's their problem to deal with. Warrantied vehicles cost more for a reason.

Reactions: DXX
Assuming it's still under warranty it's their problem to deal with. Warrantied vehicles cost more for a reason.
It is. Waiting to see if this software fix they are talking about does the trick....Based on what I have read above I suspect I'd be fobbed off with an excuse if I took it in now.

I know from previous experiences with VAG oil sensors that an oil change cures the problem albeit temporarily and given I don't trust long life oil I don't think an early oil change would do it any harm.

So an update... In my last post I’d had the oil drained by the AA and then the following day got the garage to complete a full oil change. 1200 miles completed and I’ve had no issues and no light illuminating. So far so good...

Just a quick update, mine got the software update at the start of May and now coming to the end of June I haven’t had the warning message since. Must be fixed or bypassed
Awesome news. Did you take it to VW with the error and they completed the update following that or is it something they did automatically when you took it for a service of something?

It is a commen and know fault on T6,1, and its because of the driving patern that makes regeneration not complete, therfore the ekstra injektet diesel flow past the pistionrings and makes the olielevel rise.

Hey all,
I have a 2020 T6.1 Highline with the same problem. First noticed it when I bought the van in Dec 2020. The van has now done just over 20K miles and still seeing the error.
Been to VW twice for a solution and none given which is annoying to say the least.

Apart from lifting the bonnet which is a hassle when you do so many miles my hack is to put a black piece of duck tape over the dash so you can't see the yellow error warning! Not a perfect solution but it does mean my OCD is kept in measure if you can't see the yellow warning sign.

Has anyone had a proper solution from a garage yet?

Thanks

Back