SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

I have a fully converted Kombi, re-classified as a Motor Caravan. It gets a class 4 MOT
And me but the DVLA won't re-classify now without a great deal of argument, they normally classify as 'Van with windows' now.
I've converted five over the past years and had all of them re-classified but that was before they changed their attitude. Maybe as I always convert to high roof campers I would be OK, not tried it yet.

@rod_vw the MOT manual says the vehicle must 'present as a motor caravan' not 'be classified on the V5 as a motor caravan'. I.e. if you turn up and it meets the criteria for motor caravan then it is one. The criteria for a motor caravan in the vehicle types is exactly what it was before DVLA added their silly rules about external graphics and high tops for reclassification purposes (which are their rules not laws by the way). The two things are separate, DVLA chose themselves to add extra criteria before they would reclassify, that doesn't change the legal definition of a motor caravan, which is exactly what it was previously.

And yes, one of the ridiculous anomalies is that my class 7 Kombi would be class 4 if it was fully converted. But, I believe that once you've had a class 7 test thats it, no matter what you do to it it will always need a class 7 test because that is now how it is defined in the vehicle details on the MOT database. So convert the really heavy ones before they need their first MOT and they will always class 4 motor caravans is my understanding.

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and new to Volkswagen Vans! The forum has been an invaluable resource, so a big thank you everyone. I am about to place a factory order for a new Kombi for a camper conversion. I am finding it hard to decide whether to go for a SWB or LWB. What would more experienced members recommend? I appreciate there is an awful amount of personal preference involved but I am sure others have had the same dilemma. The van will be used primarily for two people for longer trips, but also for more regular weekly trips closer to home, often with one person. Should resale value be one of my considerations or should I only consider all round practicality?
Any thoughts and advice would be very appreciated.
If it’s being used for 2 people then consider having a ushaped conversion. In which case a LWB gives sooo much seating space it’s great.View attachment 103939
Yesterday’s picnic. Not sat side by side on a rock n roll bed.

Hi, newbie here.
I'm in the process of researching which T6 to get. Can someone tell me is there a big difference in the above?

The short answer is the difference is 40cm.

For the long answer on the advantages/disadvantages, have you searched the forum? There have been plenty of discussions which would be helpful to read I think.

Hi Digger, I took delivery of my LWB T6.1 Caravelle a couple of days ago and had agonised over this decision myself.
I think it comes down to what you are going to use the vehicle for, but for us the Caravelle is the family trip wagon and we decided that if we're going to make the sacrifice and drive a van we might as well drive a van that will carry all the family junk along with the family such as kids bikes/adult bikes with the wheels on, body boards, luggage etc.
If it was going to be our only vehicle, the one we'd be popping to the supermarket in etc. we'd maybe have looked harder at the SWB.
That 40cm is the difference between removing your bikes wheel or leaving them on, its those extra suitcases or not needing to carry a roofbox.

In practical terms for us, the extra 40cm is another cupboard and enough floor space to comfortably move around the dog even when the RIB seat down below is folded out first thing in the morning.

LWB Transport is 5.2 metres'ish, Audi Q8 is 5.1 metres...so they're not that big. Never seen 5 complete bikes in the back of a Q8, with 5 riders.

Hi, newbie here.
I'm in the process of researching which T6 to get. Can someone tell me is there a big difference in the above?
400mm between the wheelbase, you can see it inside just infront of the rear wheel arch

1400 mm cupboard space from the edge of the slider and leaving welly space to rear door and no over hang into the slider door way... it only fills a parking space not over hangs it. 2 meter pull out bed and a 600 mm cabinet on the other wall with space for a heater behind drivers seat...... how often will you use a ferry
what we spend on doing the vans up to worry over a few extra quid ...... its L W B all the way ...

1400 mm cupboard space from the edge of the slider and leaving welly space to rear door and no over hang into the slider door way... it only fills a parking space not over hangs it. 2 meter pull out bed and a 600 mm cabinet on the other wall with space for a heater behind drivers seat...... how often will you use a ferry
what we spend on doing the vans up to worry over a few extra quid ...... its L W B all the way ...
THIS

Back