SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

True, but let's not forget that the Op. made no mention of DSG or 4Motion so the distinction may be of use to him.
FWIW my manual LWB Highline Kombi says 2118kg on the V5. This equates to around 1978kg after removal of a 75 kg driver and ~65kg of fuel (@0.82 SG) so well under the 2040kg limit for dual purpose.
Class 4 or 7 doesn't make any difference to me but it may to some if their favourite/closest/only local MoT station does not have Class 7 approval. The speed limit thing though, assuming a Kombi is on the cards could certainly be a deal beaker for me.
I've just been reading your comment regarding speed limits on a kombi ..I have had lots of Kombis over the last 10 years and I have never been pulled over for speeding in any of them. I think its very rare and unlucky if you were to get pulled. Obviously I stick to the speed limits !!!!!! The speed thing has never entered my mind when ordering kombi's.

Am just putting in an order for a T6.1 Transporter TDI 450 4Motion. The remaining agonising question seems to be SWB or LWB. I'm in a manual wheelchair, so there will be a minor reduction in ground clearance due to a slide-out lift under the centre of the van. The vehicle will be my everyday transport. However, the intention is to spend a fair bit of time on the road in Australia, with gradual basic camping mods done as finance allows.

SWB or LWB? Comments PLEASE.

Am just putting in an order for a T6.1 Transporter TDI 450 4Motion. The remaining agonising question seems to be SWB or LWB. I'm in a manual wheelchair, so there will be a minor reduction in ground clearance due to a slide-out lift under the centre of the van. The vehicle will be my everyday transport. However, the intention is to spend a fair bit of time on the road in Australia, with gradual basic camping mods done as finance allows.

Hi there, i’ve a LWB on order at the moment and I had the same dilemma. I went with LWB purely for the extra room behind the seats as I ordered a kombi. I guess it’ll stick out of spaces at the shops more but I can deal with that. Personally I think the SWB looks a little better / in proportion, but then not enough to sway me away from the extra space.
Good luck with it all. Lead times are long atm as you probably know, so make your choice quickly!

Hi there, i’ve a LWB on order at the moment and I had the same dilemma. I went with LWB purely for the extra room behind the seats as I ordered a kombi. I guess it’ll stick out of spaces at the shops more but I can deal with that. Personally I think the SWB looks a little better / in proportion, but then not enough to sway me away from the extra space.
Good luck with it all. Lead times are long atm as you probably know, so make your choice quickly!
Thanks for your prompt response Bob. Pleased to know that someone else can relate to the problem. In my case, I've already signed the Contract but have had second thoughts on length. Am almost at the toss-a-coin stage of decision!

The 4Motion restricts space availability for underfloor tanks, for that reason I would go LWB.
I’m also guessing that parking space isn’t an issue in Oz like it is in the UK.

I use lwb shuttle every day in plenty of car parks. Yes, there have been times where I have stuck out a little but so what :)

The 4Motion restricts space availability for underfloor tanks, for that reason I would go LWB.
I’m also guessing that parking space isn’t an issue in Oz like it is in the UK.
Thats interesting ref underfloor space etc on a 4motion.

Have just got back to the Forum. Thanks for the interest and responses everybody.

DXX: Interesting comment that the 4Motion mechanism restricts underfloor space. I'm intending to install an underfloor slide-out wheelchair lift. Engineers say that T6 was OK, but T6.1 presents problems because of the position of the AdBlue tank.

My ground clearance will be compromised anyway due to the slide-out lift. I did have a comment that the longer the wheelbase the reduced ability to negotiate dips in the ground that are higher than ground clearance.

It seems that the parking issues are part of the compromise for a LWB option.

Long story short ... SWB (Ascot Grey) it will be.

We’ve had both a SWB and a LWB. There’s just the two of us but the extra space that the LWB offers inside makes it a winner for us. Parking and turning is a bit better in a SWB but you get used to the LWB (neither is going to be as easy as a small car after all). The other big big advantage our new LWB has over the old SWB is that it’s an automatic and driving is just so much more relaxed. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a manual again!

We’ve had both a SWB and a LWB. There’s just the two of us but the extra space that the LWB offers inside makes it a winner for us. Parking and turning is a bit better in a SWB but you get used to the LWB (neither is going to be as easy as a small car after all). The other big big advantage our new LWB has over the old SWB is that it’s an automatic and driving is just so much more relaxed. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a manual again!
Hi there TrickyDicky. Thanks for your post. Apologies for my slow response. Fact is I've made the decision already, and SWB it is. All of the things you've mentioned were taken into consideration. As the van will be my only form of transport, I thought the SWB would be more functional.

A story with a happy ending, just not the happy ending he'd hoped for!
I hope they didn’t try and haggle with the crane driver despite him dropping his chain slings on the bodywork

Last edited:
I hope they didn’t try and haggle with the crane driver despite him dropping his chain slings on the bodywork
Oh yes, I hadn't noticed that!
When your van is perched precariously on the edge like that and a crane arrives I guess you're not in a position to haggle!

Hi I’m thinking LWB with side lift. Plenty of turning space. Current vans a rear entry via a ramp, but there’s no storage.

I'm looking at getting a new van with a camper conversion in the near future. One question I keep asking is SWB or LWB? Apart from the obvious pros and cons that the extra length gives what else do I need to think about? Does it impact on insurance, ferry prices or anything else?
Please let me know your experiences if you have had both.
Thanks

Back