SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

The SWB is basically the size of a discovery or similar sized car. The LWB is 40cm longer and is noticeable when driving it - but is obviously something that most people adjust to soon enough.
We went with a SWB as there is only 2 of us and I wanted maximum ease of use for the 90%+ of the time that we're not camping in it.
Thank you very much for this. I think we're heading towards SWB too, for similar reasons.

I have a lwb, and have no issues parking etc, I would advise if your not used to a lwb spec front and rear parking sensors. But as per everyone else its all subjective. I would suggest you take 1 of each out and try driving round a supermarket car park and parking and go for the 1 you feel most comfortable driving.
Thank you.

Hi all

I’m new to the forum.

We have had two Caravelles from new, both short wheelbase Executive models. We had them for 5 years and 3 years - had fabulous times with them every day at home and driving round Europe in the summer.

We are planning to get a new one and we’re considering the LWB.

Issues questions are -

- How does it drive by comparison to SWB. The dealer doesn’t have one to test.

- How far back can you get he back row of seats if you want more space.

- Seems you can’t get the executive in LWB?

- In anyone’s experience is the LWB worth it. When traveling we allways thought we were a bit short on space in the boot, but maybe it’s not worth going LWB given the above ...

- 4 motion worth the extra for driving experience and handling ? Only on SWB again ?

What’s your experience ?

Dave

If you had the choice to buy a new van for a complete conversion would you go for: Long or Short wheel base, DSG or Manual. Pros and cons please can't make up my mind. Also T32 or T30. Does it make a difference, T32 suspension is meant to be too hard but with the extra weight of the cabinets and bed etc would it be a better option?

Last edited:
It’s such a personal preference thing, what suits one maybe not another.

For me LWB for the extra space and manual as I prefer the feeling of involvement. Also maybe a little easier when in slippery conditions.

That's the way I was leaning, but I forgot to ask in my original post also T32 or T30. Does it make a difference, T32 suspension is meant to be too hard but with the extra weight of the cabinets and bed etc would it be a better option?

I have a t32 which is all standard Set up, with a full camper van conversion set up for the 2 of us, it’s certainly not fully loaded the ride for us is great not hard or harsh at all.

T32 does allow a bit of extra weight but is does make life more difficult if you want to change to aftermarket wheels. Load ratings for those and tyres are less available.

I personally went T30 as it was the best compromise and guaranteed I could get motorcaravan status on the V5, this is another can of worms though that is very different now.

Suspension wise there is a good chance you will have to make some changes after putting a conversion in to level it out either way. This is again personal preference depending on the look/comfort you are after.

Loads of info if you search the forum.:thumbsup:

I think the brakes are bigger on the t32 and if you’re in to alloy wheels there isn’t such a big choice

I’ve just bought a T32, but that was before I found out about the limitations on wheel and tyre choices. If I could have my time again I’d go for a T30.
In your original question you say “any van”, so I’ll have a LWB high roof 4Motion DSG Crafter please.

Cheers all for the replies, helpful as always. My problem is that as I want to buy the van as a company vehicle with the tax benifits I need to make sure it's covered as a van for the tax man. A couple of garages have pushed me towards t32 kombi to make sure I have the necessary carrying capacity to comply. Unless I just buy a panel van which would always keep the tax man happy and not tell him I've converted it

Regarding T32 bigger brakes...( which can give tyre / wheel limitations ) .one of the popular upgrades is bigger brakes with bigger caliper’s on various models ...once this has been done you’ll have the same issue as buying a standard T32...due to the fact as you carry more weight you should consider when choosing new wheels the weight rating ....another saving grace for the T32 is a thicker anti roll bar 28mm which when converting can save you money over aftermarket ARB ( anything less than the T32 an aftermarket ARB makes a bigger difference). The downside is Cost the T32 is dearer to buy but that’s a judgement call....
Yes ..the T32 suspension can be firmer but it’s a heavy vehicle but again , that can all be sorted with a suspension upgrade ( and 9 times out of 10 you’d probably upgrade a T28/T30 The same way ). So all in all good and bad points on all versions it’s what you intend to use it for ...

So T32 free bigger brakes ( better for stopping) bigger ARB (less roll ) and coupled with DSG box ( and once you’ve upgraded the springs and shocks ) a dream vehicle

I went SWB as it fits in my garage and as its mainly me and occasionally me and her there’s plenty of room for two.

I also went 4Motion, if you can afford it I would recommend the 4M as it will hold resale value better and with the diff lock option

T32 does limit you to wheels and tyres but I still found that there was more than enough choice..

If you want comfort then you will be looking at some kind of suspension upgrade anyway. Most of us have done this for a better ride.

The DSG is so smooth through the 7 speed box its a pleasure to drive... my only gripe about the DSG is the momentary lag pulling off from a standing start.. this is because its mapped to expect upto 3 ton of weight in the back... so a DSG remap will eliminate this...

I went SWB as it fits in my garage and as its mainly me and occasionally me and her there’s plenty of room for two.

I also went 4Motion, if you can afford it I would recommend the 4M as it will hold resale value better and with the diff lock option

T32 does limit you to wheels and tyres but I still found that there was more than enough choice..

If you want comfort then you will be looking at some kind of suspension upgrade anyway. Most of us have done this for a better ride.

The DSG is so smooth through the 7 speed box its a pleasure to drive... my only gripe about the DSG is the momentary lag pulling off from a standing start.. this is because its mapped to expect upto 3 ton of weight in the back... so a DSG remap will eliminate this...
Jason, what's the 4motion like for fuel? A mate had one, maybe ten years back and it cost a fortune to run?

I have a T32 and found alloys selection is ok, however how many people dont check the load weight and throw anything on, I dread to think.

Back