SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

Swb was a must for us for ease of parking and there’s only two of us most of the time
I think I might go Lwb just for the extra room you get and I've seen the Cambee bed on rails which would give me loads of load space when I need it. A little bit pricey but you need a good bed and their rails give so much flexibility in the van

The van is close to 2 ton with the aerodynamics of a house brick.. fuel economy isn't high on the list... its a 199 bhp and im seeing low 30's, sometimes less but I'm having fun in sport mode and not ambling along at 55 stay alive... the van is also under 1k miles and so many say the fuel economy improves after 10k when the engine loosens up a little..

I’ve got a LWB T30 DSG and it’s perfect but If I was buying again I would go for 4motion too

I think I might go Lwb just for the extra room you get and I've seen the Cambee bed on rails which would give me loads of load space when I need it. A little bit pricey but you need a good bed and their rails give so much flexibility in the van

See i was set on a sliding bed system on rails when i started out... however I soon realised the pros and cons... after doing the legwork the cons outwayed the pros for me so I stuck to a fixed RIB in the end and im pleased I did...

Definitely get 4motion, slippy B roads and pulling out of junctions in the wet is no problem. I had a fwd hire van and the traction control kept coming on, 4motion and it just sticks. The bi-turbos are also silky smooth, the singles are a bit rattly in comparison, but not good on consumption, mid 30s is good.

I have a T30 lwb manual converted to a camper, would certainly consider 4motion as I go off road a fair bit, but I seem to do ok without it, my fuel consumption is not too bad as I mainly do long distance drives

T32 brakes are a definite advantage over the T26/28/30 though. :thumbsup:
I've got a T30 and I regularly have half a ton in the back and often tow a 2 ton trailer, I've never found the brakes to be inadequate, has anybody else?

T30 camper conversion here. Did several full descents of some classic Alpine passes in hot weather last year, and no issues with braking at all. Brakes smelt a bit at the bottom of Alpe d’Huez when we stopped at the supermarket, but no issues.

Pete

I've got a T30 and I regularly have half a ton in the back and often tow a 2 ton trailer, I've never found the brakes to be inadequate, has anybody else?

My point was only that the T32 has better/larger brakes than the others but not necessarily criticising the lesser option.

I myself run a T30 as I prefer the wheel availability. But it has to be said with our full camper conversion and loaded up I feel I have to lean on the brakes a little more than I would like. I run a 3.5ton van for work generally fully loaded and find the brakes on that give more confidence.

Hi all,

About to go down and start the ordering process for a new T6.1.
I'm torn at the moment though between a SWB and LWB.

Currently have a SWB and do really enjoy the length and the look, but was considering going LWB for seats in the back while keeping the length for a camper/draw setup for work and a bit more space.

Just wanted to reach out to everyone here and see if there were any experiences going from a SWB to a LWB or vice versa and any reason to avoid the longer wheel base or to go down that path!

Cheers,

I've never owned a SWB but I automatically dismissed them when hunting for a van in 2019 as I prefer the look and load space of the LWB.
Obviously I cannot comment on the switch but as for LWB ownership I can say with confidence that I have never once regretted the extra length!

Hi all,

About to go down and start the ordering process for a new T6.1.
I'm torn at the moment though between a SWB and LWB.

Currently have a SWB and do really enjoy the length and the look, but was considering going LWB for seats in the back while keeping the length for a camper/draw setup for work and a bit more space.

Just wanted to reach out to everyone here and see if there were any experiences going from a SWB to a LWB or vice versa and any reason to avoid the longer wheel base or to go down that path!

Cheers,
Wow, great move @twemmy....I have a LWB which I think just gives you that extra bit of versatility. Depends if you have issues with your parking/storage etc as that can sway peoples decisions. I see you are from Oz so that may not be the case unless you are in a city. As Oz is geared up for outdoor living you probably won't be spending a massive amount of time inside the van as such, just sleeping maybe, so whether that would have a bearing on your decision. Where about are you Oz? Spent a year living out of a T2 some years back...awesome. Maybe fellow member @AussieMick may have some invaluable advice as he's from the same continent.
Good luck!! :cool:

We had absolutely made up our mind that SWB was the way to go. However for us the clincher was bed size for camper conversion. Not willing to spend my hard earned notes on a van where I had to compromise bed size. So we have just taken delivery of new LWB camper and for us, delighted we went LWB. My wife also drives the van every day and with additional rear camera, she loves it.

If you are pondering a LWB you probably know in the back of your mind that a SWB is too small. Australia is a big country, go LWB, extra space for water tanks.

Wow... you mods are quick...just wrote a great replay and Boom it’s gone :eek:

But Space if trade is great and for full conversions... Choose the right colour as some make vans look longer ...downside of a bigger van coastal spaces are tight...Torbay council still think we drive Austin 7’s :laugh::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
We had a SWB camper but found the accessible floor space with the bed made up was just too small and we couldn’t open the draws etc.
upgraded to a LWB and the difference is amazing and makes everything just more accessible.
The drawback is parking in supermarket car parks can be an issue (especially with a bike rack on the back) but supermarket car parks do seem to be smaller than average.
We have both parking sensors and rear camera which we wouldn’t be without.
Eurotunnel charge the same so not a problem when we go to France.

Driven LWB's for 10 years + and never been charged any more than a large car on a ferry...Audi Q8's are about the same size. I just never book as a van, I always choose large SUV/Car, if it flags reg as van call up and challenge it.

Another Pro: Even with a Kombi bulkhead you can fit 5 complete MTB's in the rear with camping kit for 5 Adults/2 weeks in France no bother.

LWB all day! I've never understood why so many people buy these vans with the intention of camping/sleeping in them yet buy the small one? If your restricted by space in some way or prefer the look of SWB fair enough. Each to there own though, it would be boring if we all had the same.

Back