SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

We've had LWB T4s, T5s & T6 neither of us have ever had any problems parking, vision from a transporter makes up for the extra bit if length. We've driven all over the UK and Europe both city and very rural places and always the extra space for use as a camper outweighs any minor difficulties with the extra length. As a comparison a LWB T6 is only 13.5 inches longer than a Volvo estate. For those who have come through the ranks from a T25, I measured the distance from the rear of the drivers seat to the rear window on both a LWB T4 and the T25 and both were the same! That means that a SWB T6 etc. is 14 inches shorter inside than a Type 25!

Some folks mentioned a Class 7 MOT way back in this thread, we've owned T32s for over 20 years and never had to have a Class 7!

As for the pros & cons.

Personally I can't see any 'cons' unless your personal circumstances limit your parking space at home.

Hi, Had my van nearly a year , and then took 7 mths to get conversion finished. Bought a T6 LWB DSG after hiring SWB in the past. Wanted the drivability of the T6, but a bit more space. Not had opportunity to use much thro 2020 , but the extra space is so noticeable - especially as we put a rib on sliders in , and had a pop top with bi fold bed. I am 6 ft 1 and have no problem using the whole length of the furniture run with the pop top and bed up. No looking back , cheers , Jeff

Here is how I have built on a LWB Highroof Kombi...

I've built four others on LWB Kombis but had Reimo highroofs fitted. As a two berth camper with Reimo seat/bed on sliding rails the available space makes a fantastically flexible vehicle!

LWB here and use it as an everyday vehicle, no issues with parking spaces and it really is only marginally longer than a SWB on the outside.

Lwb give you some floor space while the bed is down which is brilliant, I find it much better than my previous SWB

I find it a better and easier drive than my wife’s Range Rover sport

Reactions: JOG
Wow thanks everyone for all the responses, and thank you to the mods who merged my question into this thread. I did attempt to find a similar thread before posting but could not find, so thank you.

Looks like everyone's leaning more towards the LWB! I'm planning on driving a LWB demo and will keep everyone posted with what i end up with. I am in Sydney, which can be painful for parking sometimes. but largely live and drive near the coast which isn't too bad (and up and down in more remote zones). Very excited about the upgrade, now for the colour! Any thoughts on what colours tend to make it look not as long?

@rod_vw
Some folks mentioned a Class 7 MOT way back in this thread, we've owned T32s for over 20 years and never had to have a Class 7!

Depends what your T32 is. If it is 'presenting' at the MOT station as a 'Motor Caravan' then it will not need a class 7. If it is an unconverted Kombi it could be either 4 or 7 depending on its unladen weight (the vast majority are class 4, but a few, notably LWB T32 with DSG/4 Motion particularly if they are Highline as the extra equipment adds weight, come in over 2040kg unladen and hence cannot be dual purpose vehicles and thus need class 7). The regs are pretty ridiculous in respect of this. For sure, my unconverted LWB T32 Highline Kombi, with DSG and 4motion is class 7 MOT.

Is it possible that the MoT classes are also dependent on mass in service and the dual purpose designation, much like speed limits?

I’m guessing the MOT class isn’t going to sway a buyer either way on SWB or LWB.

@rod_vw

Depends what your T32 is. If it is 'presenting' at the MOT station as a 'Motor Caravan' then it will not need a class 7. If it is an unconverted Kombi it could be either 4 or 7 depending on its unladen weight (the vast majority are class 4, but a few, notably LWB T32 with DSG/4 Motion particularly if they are Highline as the extra equipment adds weight, come in over 2040kg unladen and hence cannot be dual purpose vehicles and thus need class 7). The regs are pretty ridiculous in respect of this. For sure, my unconverted LWB T32 Highline Kombi, with DSG and 4motion is class 7 MOT.

Would you mind sharing your mass in service? I'm a DSG SWG highline and I can just get under dual purpose with the right deductions. I'm more worried about speed limits

Would you mind sharing your mass in service? I'm a DSG SWG highline and I can just get under dual purpose with the right deductions. I'm more worried about speed limits
2366kg on the V5, 2297kg in the brochure, mine's pretty much as heavy as they get unladen :whistle:

The brochure says 75kg for driver and 90% full fuel tank used in the calc. Not sure of why there is a 69kg difference between them but I'm never gonna be under 2040kg no matter what I try.

2366kg on the V5, 2297kg in the brochure, mine's pretty much as heavy as they get unladen :whistle:

The brochure says 75kg for driver and 90% full fuel tank used in the calc. Not sure of why there is a 69kg difference between them but I'm never gonna be under 2040kg no matter what I try.
Maybe the difference is because 1 is Mass in Service and the other is Unladen mass?

I dont think either of the figures in the V5 and brochure are mass in service. Hence the confusion over the 69kg difference.

I dont think either of the figures in the V5 and brochure are mass in service. Hence the confusion over the 69kg difference.
Either way it doesn't matter. Whichever figure you take it is going to be more than 2040kg whatever you might be able to take off for driver/fuel which is the important part. However, if we have this much difficulty in determining the 'unladen weight' how on earth does the MOT station do it?

True, but let's not forget that the Op. made no mention of DSG or 4Motion so the distinction may be of use to him.
FWIW my manual LWB Highline Kombi says 2118kg on the V5. This equates to around 1978kg after removal of a 75 kg driver and ~65kg of fuel (@0.82 SG) so well under the 2040kg limit for dual purpose.
Class 4 or 7 doesn't make any difference to me but it may to some if their favourite/closest/only local MoT station does not have Class 7 approval. The speed limit thing though, assuming a Kombi is on the cards could certainly be a deal beaker for me.

@rod_vw

Thereby hangs a question, what is a motor caravan now that the DVLA have more or less scrapped that designation for vehicles like ours?

Does this not come up on the MOT tester's computer when you present the vehicle for an MOT? Many of us have N1 vehicles that have been converted to motor caravans. It sounds like a can of worms but as far as my vehicles (not DSG or 4 motion but obviously now heavier than when produced) have been concerned have never been classified as Class 7.

@Tsixty do you think if your vehicle is converted to a motor caravan it will remain Class 7 or revert to Class 4?

Interesting extraction from the government page about Mot Classifications (abbreviated with the removal of many classes)

Vehicle class
Age first MOT needed (years)Maximum MOT fee
Cars (up to 8 passenger seats)43£54.85
Motor caravans43£54.85
Goods vehicles (over 3,000kg up to 3,500kg design gross weight)73£58.60

Is this yet another anomaly brought about by the DVLA refusing the record most of our type of vehicle as having a body type of 'Motor Caravan'?

Last edited:
Thereby hangs a question, what is a motor caravan now that the DVLA have more or less scrapped that designation for vehicles like ours?

Does this not come up on the MOT tester's computer when you present the vehicle for an MOT? Many of us have N1 vehicles that have been converted to motor caravans. It sounds like a can of worms but as far as my vehicles (not DSG or 4 motion but obviously now heavier than when produced) have been concerned have never been classified as Class 7.

@Tsixty do you think if your vehicle is converted to a motor caravan it will remain Class 7 or revert to Class 4?

Interesting extraction from the government page about Mot Classifications (abbreviated with the removal of many classes)

Vehicle class
Age first MOT needed (years)Maximum MOT fee
Cars (up to 8 passenger seats)43£54.85
Motor caravans43£54.85
Goods vehicles (over 3,000kg up to 3,500kg design gross weight)73£58.60

Is this yet another anomaly brought about by the DVLA refusing the record most of our type of vehicle as having a body type of 'Motor Caravan'?
I have a fully converted Kombi, re-classified as a Motor Caravan. It gets a class 4 MOT

Back