I have a spare steel wheel, original, taken off as it’s no use to me.

Nightmare, mine has gone too! Did you get sorted if so how?

Anyone got a 17inch spare wheel they want to get rid of - based in Wigan. I do have a T32 4Motion not sure that needs anything different?

Cheers

Nightmare, mine has gone too! Did you get sorted if so how?

Anyone got a 17inch spare wheel they want to get rid of - based in Wigan. I do have a T32 4Motion not sure that needs anything different?

Cheers
Sorry to hear that....my Heyner security bolt just arrived this morning. Maybe not perfect but definately a deterrent.

Try searching 17” and / or Spare Wheel in the free-text or tag field.

Would a SpareSafe fit a T6 Caravelle? Called a website who said it wouldn’t but couldn’t explain why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fits a T6.1 Caravelle. The only issue I was warned about was some towbars cause issues, I have the factory fit and was told it would be fine and it was.20230827_201911.JPG

Lowered 60mm and with factory Towbar. Spare is impossible to remove without jacking up the back or removing the detachable Towbar. Still have a locking bolt to be sure.

The problem you have with just a security bolt is it's trivial to clamp a set of vise grips on it and remove it. This isn't a risk in a wheel as there is no space as they are set into the hub.

This is the point of the SpareSafe - it tries to shroud the bolt head so you can't get grips in and also make it hard to try and cut the exposed bolt area.

I believe the Heyner security bolt is the one supplied with the SpareSafe if you need it. I actually haven't put that little cap on the bolt as I was worried about getting it off in the SpareSafe shroud.

We’ve just had the spare nicked from my wife’s Shuttle - not sure where it happened but `I spotted it when I drove back on the drive this afternoon. Will have to think about how I park my Shuttle in case they did it on the drive outside and come back for mine. It’s a pain in the arse…

there skum....
well I've said it before just get a 17" or 16" steel wheel (depending on brake size) and a Just legal tyre on it (its a get you home spare)
paint the wheel and part of the tyre in PINK gloss
they will see the thin tread and PINK wheel and walk away
I've done 2 now for other people and no more issues
also tighten the 2 bolts at 150nm torque

We’ve just had the spare nicked from my wife’s Shuttle - not sure where it happened but `I spotted it when I drove back on the drive this afternoon. Will have to think about how I park my Shuttle in case they did it on the drive outside and come back for mine. It’s a pain in the arse…
Have a good read through this thread - there are other precautions that you can take to mitigate the risk. Granted, they might not be as great a deterrent as a pink wheel but what is?

Reactions: CAB
My experience of tightening the carrier totally up leads to the frame gripping to tyre too hard. This leads to the sidewall being damaged / deformed by the carrier frame. This issue has been raised before.
Having replaced my deformed spare with an 18” spare, I’ve used a 45mm collar / spacer to tighten up to.

it cant grip the tyre harder than normal as there are spacers to stop this on the bolts which act as a stop.
over tightening the bolts wont close the space up further.

I have an old post from on here ref the spare wheel security messures I have taken. Pics are just an example as there are more details in my post.
Cresmytash

FB_IMG_1703101185282.jpg

FB_IMG_1703101196631.jpg

I have 20" Wolfrace rims and the spare is the standard 18" alloy and this is secured by the locking wheel nut that apparently can be removed with vice grips.
It is posts like this that make me wish my master welder uncle had not died early in life from cancer.
Anything he ever made was totally bomb proof, albeit NEVER light :D
So my eyes have been opened that VW spare wheels are often stolen and that a Wheel Safe is a good idea.
In this thread several purchase points have been mentioned - can anyone confirm the best place to buy currently please?

I have 20" Wolfrace rims and the spare is the standard 18" alloy and this is secured by the locking wheel nut that apparently can be removed with vice grips.
It is posts like this that make me wish my master welder uncle had not died early in life from cancer.
Anything he ever made was totally bomb proof, albeit NEVER light :D
So my eyes have been opened that VW spare wheels are often stolen and that a Wheel Safe is a good idea.
In this thread several purchase points have been mentioned - can anyone confirm the best place to buy currently please?

Back