Spare wheel - stolen and now missing rubber bush

bjayben

Hi all, my spare was stolen and I finally got around to buying a spare 17 inch GP style Steel. The original one was 16 inch.

After some kerfuffle trying to get the bracket fully closed and screwed up with this new slightly bigger wheel I realised that in most pics on the internet people have rubber bushings/spacers on the screws where the bracket connects. Not sure if it had them before or they were lost when the wheel was stolen (oddly there isn't one on the retaining screw that doesn't come all the way out - and this screw seems too short to have one).

Does everyone have these rubber bushings? I wanted the spare for a trip this month but the only ones I can find are on ebay from Lithuania and will take too long to get here.

I've also bought a locking security screw for next time and hopefully that is a bit longer so it will reach and have space for the bushing (it will probably mean I cant use the retaining screw also).

Or do people just jack it up and screw it all the way up and crush the tyre?

The other option seems to be to lower the bracket into the lower setting but the pin is so rusted up I cant get it out and move it.

Many rubber bushes on Ebay, just measure the ID / OD and length required.

Back