T6dder

Web/graphic designer
T6 Guru
Not sure what the best way to secure my spare is. Currently I am keeping it in my van, but it is becoming a pain.

I don't want to go to town on some homemade metal work. Is a locking wheel nut enough of a deterrent? From what I have read in the past, if the thieves are professional enough they will crush any nut, or security device anyway.

I went with a locking wheel nut, I figure if someone really wants to steal something you can slow em down a bit but difficult to stop them
Sensible parking helps I reckon

I like the idea of branding the wheel. I may make up a stencil with my Postcode, and a nice message for any potential thieves. I will go with the Locking Wheel Nut as originally thought then.

You could stencil your reg number on it - tyre and wheel. Mines ok in the back at the moment but may need to have a rethink at holiday time ........

Another plus point for air ride.... Air it out when parked....no chance they can get it out then!!!

I bought a spare safe to protect the spare on my Cali, the wheel is still there so not sure if this means it works or nobody has tried pinching it yet! Perhaps I should go to Legoland to really try it out!

Is the spare not secured to the underside of the rear of the vehicle? I certainly don't want mine rolling round in the back when I get it! Is that what the "locking wheel nut" option was??

It is secured on the underside of the van, but only by a standard bolt. Have heard lots of stories about the spares being nicked, especially in large long-stay car parks like theme parks etc.

@LouisBalodis the option is actually a locking bolt and replaces the standard 19mm head bolt with one that needs an adapter same as normal wheel locking nuts, it will definitely slow down a thief but the head can be crushed with molegrips or similar to release the bolt so its not infallible

5cUkhl.jpg gwY5se.jpg
Zmje2W.jpg
I made this after our first trip out and some low life nicked my spare. The lock and shroud is thatcham approved, a key is neede to remove that. The a hex key is needed to remove the bolt. Outer lock shroud just spins and is about 4mm thick hardened too.

It's a sad state of affairs when even our spare wheels aren't safe. You work hard and reward yourself with something nice and the low life scum decide that us paying their benefits isn't enough so any our spare, media unit or that 10p sitting on your seat that fell out of you pocket should be theirs as well or if they can't have any off that maybe they will just settle for a key down the side. Sorry but it really pi••es me off that again we have to spend more money to protect and keep what is already ours.

On that note I am off to make sure she is locked her spare is tucked up safely.

It's a sad state of affairs when even our spare wheels aren't safe. You work hard and reward yourself with something nice and the low life scum decide that us paying their benefits isn't enough so any our spare, media unit or that 10p sitting on your seat that fell out of you pocket should be theirs as well or if they can't have any off that maybe they will just settle for a key down the side. Sorry but it really pi••es me off that again we have to spend more money to protect and keep what is already ours.

On that note I am off to make sure she is locked her spare is tucked up safely.

Well said that man..... On that note I'm going out to connect mine to the mains!!! ⚡⚡

While parked up at a quite famous venue ( well it was Stoke on Trent ). Some thieving git nicked my 17inch spare wheel. I know it wasn't one of the residents as they prefere swing In the trees and eating banana's.
So after looking at what Vw had to offer (yes I did order a locking bolt with the van but they said it didn't fit).
I did a bit of Internet research and found it to be quite common and the Vw bolt is quite easy to remove with a pair of mole grips. There are things people have made on eBay but thought I could do a little better.
So purchased a few bits and set to work with the welder and a lathe.
So now I need a key to remove the spinning outer casing which has a thatcham approved and tested lock. A hex key to remove the bolt. Now working on the pivot point at the other end.

Pictures below, comments more than welcome....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Have you got a sleeve over the exposed bit of bolt to stop using grips?

i bought the OEM one from vw and the thieving scum nicked the bolt and the wheel,4 days after picking van up!

Back