Don't under estimate the street urchins ways and means of pilfering....

Original poster and others have had their spares stolen with this type of 'anti-theft' device fitted..!

It is merely a deterrent to a level 1 street urchin....
Fully agree there’s no way to stop them if they really want it and they have enough of an opportunity. It’s more about slowing them down I guess.

The undertray covers the thread but this can be easily broken away to give access but to fit anything to protect this it looks like I would have to remove part of the undertray first also.

I wonder whether it’s possible to fit some loose tubing to screw the bolt into.

Can someone please explain where and why to reposition the tab?

Like the hole saw method, that’s neat. Wonder if there’s a way to bodge one of those onto the exposed threads? Or maybe some other form of protective metal tube

Taking inspiration from this thread (thanks DXX), I have now beefed up the standard 3 pin locking nut with a ½" / 1" socket that I had lying in the bottom of a toolbox (knew it would come in useful one day!). Fitted perfectly and didn't need any cutting / grinding down. I'm just hoping that any thieving toerag will take one look and decide that there's an easier one to nick down the road:
Socket.jpg

Wonder if there’s a way to bodge one of those onto the exposed threads? Or maybe some other form of protective metal tube
I don't actually think it's a major issue (at least not on mine with a 16" spare fitted) but you could always use a stack of washers. That said, it might be wise to use stainless steel as others might rust quickly in wet weather (which is something I'm a little concerned about with my socket mod above but I'll keep an eye on it).

Mine is a 235 wide 17" spare but yours seems to have gone up a lot further
From what I remember there are two sets of hinge pin holes in the wheel securing bracket, one position for a 235 and another for the 215. That’s the only variable I’ve seen when the spare was removed.

I was all set to get one of these theft prevention devices. Then I tried to remove the spare myself last weekend to give me some more room underneath while fitting new seat brackets. I don't think it had ever been off (2016 van), and the bloody head of the bolt sheared off. :mad:

So, any tips on removing the thread that's left, bearing in mind that it is very rusty above the hole (that it needs to come out through). Also, anyone have the part number for a replacement?

I hear that a set of mole grips on the threads works a treat ;) But get some WD40 on it ASAP to work in while you sort the solution out I guess

I suppose I deserve that. :)

WD40 has been on it since Sat and re-applied several times. Hasn't budged yet, so I think it's time to start adding to the arsenal of persuasion...

Not attempted yet. I was busy finishing up the seat bracket install and all the buttoning up that goes with it. I did douse it in WD40 again as I was packing up.

C04783BD-F1A7-4969-B802-C95B99A280A0.jpeg

When you do manage to get the bolt out put some copper grease on the new ones.... For the sake of a few quid it will save a lot of expense and swearing further down the road.... :thumbsup:

Fully agree there’s no way to stop them if they really want it
Just thinking of this from a different angle, has anybody had a steel spare nicked?
I'm guessing that steel wheels are much less desirable to the scumbags than a nice alloy.

Just thinking of this from a different angle, has anybody had a steel spare nicked?
I'm guessing that steel wheels are much less desirable to the scumbags than a nice alloy.
Yes IFAIR if it has a good tyre they will knick it..

My guess is once a persons on their back with the tools in their hand they are not going to start evaluating the wheel. £200 quid a set is £200 in the pocket.

My guess is once a persons on their back with the tools in their hand they are not going to start evaluating the wheel. £200 quid a set is £200 in the pocket.
I'm not convinced. I think the wheels get weighed in for scrap. Imagine trying to sell a set, they'd need to be identical, that'd be difficult, we know how many different types of wheels are fitted to T6's. A thief could have 20 stolen spares from T6's and still not be able to sell a matching set of 4.

I'm not convinced. I think the wheels get weighed in for scrap. Imagine trying to sell a set, they'd need to be identical, that'd be difficult, we know how many different types of wheels are fitted to T6's. A thief could have 20 stolen spares from T6's and still not be able to sell a matching set of 4.
60p / Kg for clean aluminum scrap, is it worth the risk and hassle of removing a tyre? Maybe selling to a dodgy breaker or possible stealing to order.

Back