Just asking any technical folk on here...

Do you really need the same diameter sized spare?
I run 19's in the summer & 16's in the winter, my spare is the standard 16".
Mrs moomin-j's car has a skinny space saver that fits in the boot in a proper wheel holder with a smaller outside diameter than her standard fit tyres.

I have always thought to have an "emergency" tyre of different size is ok, based on the above?
Or do I now need to buy a 19" spare for the summer? :eek:

@Superowls
When you do fit another spare, you could use this for protection:

1608221348399.png

From here @ Jct 29A M1, they have just opened a new showroom for all things Vw:

1608221483815.png

1608221519369.png

Just asking any technical folk on here...

Do you really need the same diameter sized spare?
I run 19's in the summer & 16's in the winter, my spare is the standard 16".
Mrs moomin-j's car has a skinny space saver that fits in the boot in a proper wheel holder with smaller diameter than her standard fit tyres.

I have always thought to have an "emergency" tyre of different size is ok, based on the above?
Or do I now need to buy a 19" spare for the summer? :eek:

@Superowls
When you do fit another spare, you could use this for protection:

View attachment 95353

From here @ Jct 29A M1, they have just opened a new showroom for all things Vw:

View attachment 95354

View attachment 95355
Yes mate.....seen that, it's even colour coded to my van. it's added to the list once I get the wheel....

Along with night vision goggles & a flamethrower

When you get your replacement spare it’s worth fitting a wheel lock, there’s every chance they’ll be back.
Stupid question but where can I get a 3 pin bolt from Tnx

Hi, I'm really thinking of trying to stop some thief in the future pinching my spare wheel from under the T6. Is there any recommendations anyone wants to give?

Hi, I'm really thinking of trying to stop some thief in the future pinching my spare wheel from under the T6. Is there any recommendations anyone wants to give?

Threads merged

Personally I have a rather rusty steel spare with a only just legal budget tyre on it. It's hard to see how it could have any value but it would do what it needs to do if I have a puncture.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s got a security bolt, the body protects the bolt from being cut. I’ve now gone to not running a spare on my latest van.

I've said this many times Fit a rusty wheel with a Just legal tyre,, they will leave it alone
i have one here Free if you want it

After reading through this post I thought I'd check out the state of my spare.....this is what I found, can I fit a locking bolt into that vacant space or is something else going on?

IMG_0723.JPG

Last edited:
Yes you can but the issue is that the bolt head protrudes into free space and can be gripped and turned

After reading through this post I thought I'd check out the state of my spare.....this is what I found, can I fit a locking bolt inot that vacant space or is something else going on?

View attachment 126021
You should have a second bolt, that stops the carrier from falling down and dragging on the road if the carrier slips off the keyway on the LH bolt.

Back