60p / Kg for clean aluminum scrap, is it worth the risk and hassle of removing a tyre? Maybe selling to a dodgy breaker or possible stealing to order.
I've seen small / light aluminium and copper stolen before in similar small weight quantities before, to a heroin addict its worth it, I've seen them cut every copper gas pipe to every house on a whole terraced street where the pipe comes out of the tarmac and elbows off in to the house, a foot of pipe per house!
If they are indeed stealing to order they'd have to target the right van for the specific wheel, which was my point.

Sorry to hear that, but as mentioned many times you need a sparesafe;
View attachment 68607
Just had mine stolen, £154 for new wheel and tyre.
Are the three pins different on each one? Otherewise they could spend £18 and have acces to all Sparesafes.
I am considering an alarm i.e. a wire through the wheel or around the holding tray, or a microswitch between the top and bottom holders, posibly connectedto the vehicle alarm.
I do like the holesaw!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one of those locking wheel nuts with a rotating collar but wasn't happy as it looked like you could just get a mole grip or similar on it and crush the collar so that the bolt would turn. I therefore dug into the toolbox and found an old socket (½ " I think) and put that on to stop the mole grip trick - it has a similar effect to the gadget pictured by cgtmiles above. It's no help if they've got the right key for the locking bolt but should help if not. The key in all this stuff is to make life difficult enough for the thieving b'stards that they find it easier to visit your neighbours instead.

Reactions: CAB
Just had mine stolen, £154 for new wheel and tyre.
Are the three pins different on each one? Otherewise they could spend £18 and have acces to all Sparesafes.
I am considering an alarm i.e. a wire through the wheel or around the holding tray, or a microswitch between the top and bottom holders, posibly connectedto the vehicle alarm.
I do like the holesaw!
If you’re still without, I’ve got a spare spare you can have for a tenner. I’m the other side of the Thames. Might be at the QE2 bridge soon (Ikea) if that’s easier?

+1 ( or however many it is ) for the SpareSafe.... we even colour matched it with the calipe’s .....but we had originally just had the lock bolt but after reading how easy it was to defeat....but short of putting Trip flares and other pyrotechnics ( apparently your not allowed to blow them up ...) visible devices can help deter....sad times

1D51C58E-A83D-40D1-B4E3-FC3A881FF4B8.jpeg
it does stand out...hope the Tea leafs aren’t colour blind :laugh:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why someone would bother to steal a spare wheel? Just curious as mine is awful :slow rofl:

I suppose I'd better go and remove the Claymore that I set up to get the b'stards. Elf and Safety gone mad yet again!
No way...damage the van....thunder flash and CS pellets....make their eyes sting and ears ring....that will give you time to put ur trolleys on run out with Mk1 bat .. Minimum force at all times ....sorry officer he kept moving :inlove:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why someone would bother to steal a spare wheel? Just curious as mine is awful :slow rofl:
My spare is a rusty steel wheel, it looks dreadful. The tyre is legal. But only just. Both wheel and tyre have no real resale value. Clearly some spare wheels do have a value, some have a very significant value, but clearly steels and alloys are being stolen so I wonder if the part worn / second hand tyre market is also a factor, I'm guessing a lot of spare tyres have 100% tread remaining, many won't ever have been used.

Edit: Tony Martin had the right approach to protecting his property, it's just a shame the judicial system disagreed.

Taking inspiration from this thread (thanks DXX), I have now beefed up the standard 3 pin locking nut with a ½" / 1" socket that I had lying in the bottom of a toolbox (knew it would come in useful one day!). Fitted perfectly and didn't need any cutting / grinding down. I'm just hoping that any thieving toerag will take one look and decide that there's an easier one to nick down the road:
View attachment 69159
I did the same, and manged to find a lockwasher in my toolbox to make it harder to undo. images.jpg

View attachment 68708
Now fitted it before I find it gone!
It maybe because I have a std steel 16” spare but there doesn’t appear to be space to get anything directly on to the thread with the undertray etc there.

Surely this will do as a deterrent? I’m not overly happy yet letting the van out of my sight and it has spent 99% of its life so far on the drive but hopefully this will change soon and this should give me a little confidence in leaving it in public.

Now maybe I should fit those locking wheel nuts;)
The shroud is fitted the wrong way round the gold sticker which says WHEEL LOCK needs to be facing the rear of the vehicle then the WHEEL LOCK cannot to turned anti clockwise which will loosen the bolt. Hope this helps :)

The shroud is fitted the wrong way round the gold sticker which says WHEEL LOCK needs to be facing the rear of the vehicle then the WHEEL LOCK cannot to turned anti clockwise which will loosen the bolt. Hope this helps :)
I’m guessing you might be an expert in these things so thanks for the advise I’ll have a look tomorrow

View attachment 68708
Now fitted it before I find it gone!
It maybe because I have a std steel 16” spare but there doesn’t appear to be space to get anything directly on to the thread with the undertray etc there.

Surely this will do as a deterrent? I’m not overly happy yet letting the van out of my sight and it has spent 99% of its life so far on the drive but hopefully this will change soon and this should give me a little confidence in leaving it in public.

Now maybe I should fit those locking wheel nuts;)
B@stards had a full-sized alloy off other half’s Disco last month. (Been parked on drive since lockdown!)

Back