Josh Corps

Hi all, I've been having trouble with my battery discharging if the vehicle is not being used. Takes about to weeks to go flat.

I've taken it in as it's covered under warranty and they have come back and said that because it's a new type of van the alternator doesn't charge that battery anymore it just maintains the charge. So to fix the fault they are charging it overnight and sending it home with me tomorrow.

Is this right? I work in the generator industry and this "alternator not charging" goes against everything I know and have been taught.

Poor wording from the dealer.

Clearly it does charge it, but it’ll only charge to about 80%, so it leaves some headroom.

If you coast while in gear, the alternator loads up and produces around 15v which gives you some engine braking, and boosts the battery above 80%. If the battery is well above 80%, the alternator will effectively freewheel under acceleration thus reducing the load on the engine.

This is all part of the BlueMotion technology.

Incidentally, I’ve had a MOLL battery replaced under warranty. They fitted a Varta.

That sounds like a mix up of 2 different issues.
Of course the alternator charges the battery back to a charged state, but there is an ongoing campaign to replace faulty MOLL tyre batteries and charge and test is the procedure prior to a replacement.

Is your starter Battery a "Moll" battery?

Last edited:
I’d certainly be asking for it to be tested with a view to replacement.

My VW Tech chappie had to carry out two separate tests in order to be able to authorise a warranty replacement.

VW Head Office need a printout of the failure and a photograph as proof of failure.

Pete

Ah right. Well, regardless of make, it it’s faulty and under warranty, they should fit a new one. Good luck!

I had a faulty Moll battery on a July 17 Transporter. The van was booked in to have it replaced under warranty with my local dealer SMG. Unfortunately it didn't even make it to the scheduled swap so I called VW Roadside Assistance on 0800 777 172. They have just swapped it over for a new battery and it all seems to be fine now. Fingers crossed!

Morning all, also having problems with Moll battery on 2017 T6 local motor factors have said they if I can drop the battery down to them they will charge it and test it over night, my question is am I ok to leave the vehicle without the battery connected for 24 Hr plus without it causing any problems, thanks in advance

Hi @pjpainter If you’re looking for VW to replace it, it’d be better to get them to test it. They’ll need to test it to authorise a warranty replacement anyhow. They won’t take the verdict from an independent.

Hi @pjpainter If you’re looking for VW to replace it, it’d be better to get them to test it. They’ll need to test it to authorise a warranty replacement anyhow. They won’t take the verdict from an independent.
Hi Spaghettiboy78 thanks for your quick reply I will do that as we have a VW dealership not to far away, will it be ok to leave the vehicle without the battery on though as it's dead flat and I will need to remove it to get it to the dealership thanks

Hi,

When VW replaced my battery, it was out for a little while and the windows needed resetting to their upper and lower positions, and I know on Audi’s you need to drive a few metres before the ABS/ESP resets.

I didn’t leave my house to get mine replaced, I called VW assist. If you’re stuck, call them and they should send out an engineer under warranty and do it roadside. He checked mine, then drove to collect a new battery for me.

Top service from VW assist.

Last edited:
I might be joining the Bad Battery Club.
When I first got the van (second-hand) the Stop/Start didn’t work for while (I assume from where it had sat on a forecourt). A few weeks parked up on the driveway being converted resulted in a hesitated start - so I charged it.
After a year of regular use, it got parked up again for the camper furniture to be installed - and was dead after 3 weeks.. so I recharged it, and after two months of not being started was absolutely flat.

I’ve recharged and reconditioned it with my Victron 12/7 charger, but my (new - thanks to @DellMassive’s recommendation) QuickLynks battery monitor shows it being at 12.4v just 12 hours after being taken off charge, which the device states is 62%.

• Varta 62aH battery. Eu5 Highline with power-latching and Autowatch Ghost.
  • No solar input.

I might be joining the Bad Battery Club.
When I first got the van (second-hand) the Stop/Start didn’t work for while (I assume from where it had sat on a forecourt). A few weeks parked up on the driveway being converted resulted in a hesitated start - so I charged it.
After a year of regular use, it got parked up again for the camper furniture to be installed - and was dead after 3 weeks.. so I recharged it, and after two months of not being started was absolutely flat.

I’ve recharged and reconditioned it with my Victron 12/7 charger, but my (new - thanks to @DellMassive’s recommendation) QuickLynks battery monitor shows it being at 12.4v just 12 hours after being taken off charge, which the device states is 62%.

• Varta 62aH battery. Eu5 Highline with power-latching and Autowatch Ghost.
  • No solar input.

Sounds like its time for a new battery?

EU5 . . . do you have stop/start? (requires an AGM battery)

does the BM2 show 13.6V or more when the engine is running? got any BM2 screenshots/readouts to see how fast the voltage is dropping?

i can do a system test with you if your about Romford?

you can get a larger AGM battery 019 type 90/100ah with 3-5years warranty

auto-post.jpg

Manufacturer
VOLKSWAGEN
Model
TR
Year
Fuel
NA
Please Check Against Your Current Battery
Location in Vehicle

N/A

Length

Width

Height

Terminals

BatteryMegastore 019 - By Part Number - Car Batteries

Volkswagen Transporter Car Batteries - Volkswagen Car Batteries - Car Batteries - Alpha Batteries

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-battery

Car Batteries | Car Battery Replacements Online | Euro Car Parts

19.jpg

/

hers a BM2 example of a normal day (start/stop disabled) . . . .

Screenshot_20190906-082730_Battery Monitor.jpg

and a day resting . . . . .

Screenshot_20190906-082742_Battery Monitor.jpg

Sounds like its time for a new battery?

EU5 . . . do you have stop/start? (requires an AGM battery)

Does the BM2 show 13.6V or more when the engine is running? got any BM2 screenshots/readouts to see how fast the voltage is dropping?

I can do a system test with you if your about Romford?
... /

Morning Lee,

Yep, it’s a Bluemotion van. I forgot to add - I’ve got a Ring RSDC30 charger linked up to an Xtreme 110aH leisure battery.

I just started the van - which the monitor was showing to be at 60% charge - and it started fine, with the app showing it jumped from 12.34v to 14.57.
I ran the engine for around a minute before switching it off, taking a screenshot of the app around a minute later:

3E6CBB4F-F00D-41A5-A2CC-868F447A3873.png

Here’s a readout from yesterday, showing the van having been taken off a recondition charge and left alone, albeit some doors were opened and closed periodically, with it being locked up for the night at 2000hrs:

948A2966-AC73-4799-9EA1-90669DCD19F7.png

Cheers for posting the links to those batteries - much appreciated.
And thanks for the offer on the system test - I might just need to take you up on that!

Last edited:
Ten minutes later it’s (possibly settled?) showing 68% - I didn’t check whether the Ring had kicked in or not, but wonder if it’s now switched off, telling the QuickLynk that there is no longer such a large draw on the starter battery.

FB54AF8F-2930-46F2-A431-1595C9EF88ED.png

TBH those reading dont look to bad atm.

your not dropping below 9V on engine start.

your charging at 14.8v.

your battery rest is about 12.5v. (at that point)

remember the van can take half hour or more before all the modules go to sleep.

a car battery is normally good for 3-5years under normal use, but running one flat numerous times will effect the capacity.

if the battery is not lasting very long at rest (ie couple of weeks) then the capacity may have been reduced . . . . and a 62aH battery is fairly small in this age.

id just keep an eye on it for now . . . . the BM2 will log the voltage over the next few days/week to see what the average drop is between drive cycles.

have you got anything running that may be drawing power at rest? (usb charger, dash cam, led lights, OBD2 device plugged in, etc etc)

if you have carista you can scan for codes, if your van has the "energy management monitor" you will get a "Quiescent current" code for power drain.

but if you want to spend some dollers then a new fresh battery never hurts . . . . . though large AGM`s can start to get pricey.

i fitted a large 019 Excide in my EU5 T5.1 before after a few years . . . . i went to EuroCarParts and fitted it outside to make sure it fitted ok . . . . it was a squeeze but fitted ok.

Back