Security Tracker.

Just an update on the TKSTAR GPS Tracker I fitted. Now 2-1/2 months in and quite happy with it, I've ran it via SMS only and the battery strength from that initial charge is still saying 30%, I'll keep running it down until I (hopefully) get a low battery warning message. What I have noticed is that it 'goes to sleep' which means that when you send the initial message requesting a position it gives you the last position fixed which may have been some hours ago, what I do is straightaway is send another SMS and with the tracker now 'woken up' it then sends me the correct location. I changed over to 02 for better coverage and at 2p a text I don't mind paying 4p to get a position out of it. I click on the location coordinates in the SMS message and it opens up a Google map location so I can see it's very accurate - to a couple of metres. You'll get better but at the price I'm happy with it.

I have an Automatrics tracker hidden away in the van which I’m happy with (3 forms of tracking methods) but hopefully never need.

I read something recently where motorhome owners plug in a baby monitor when on EHU on their driveways. Apparently if the EHU is disconnected the corresponding monitor in the house starts to beep. People are then alerted to a theft taking place. I find it fascinating how people come up with these simple ideas.

I use a rewire 104 pro.. Got a few of them.. Great product..

Works even better when connected to the leisure battery.

The Tkstar and the 104pro and my back2you are all based on the same unit.

The Tkstar and the 104pro and my back2you are all based on the same unit.

I can vouch for rewire a support. Answer their Facebook message almost straight away and sort problems out in minutes.

I have an Automatrics tracker hidden away in the van which I’m happy with (3 forms of tracking methods) but hopefully never need.

I read something recently where motorhome owners plug in a baby monitor when on EHU on their driveways. Apparently if the EHU is disconnected the corresponding monitor in the house starts to beep. People are then alerted to a theft taking place. I find it fascinating how people come up with these simple ideas.
Being an old git, I remember back in the 80s when telephone networks were finally opened up. There was a provider called Mercury (later to become One-2-one, then T Mobile, then EE which is now owned by BT :rolleyes:) whose selling point was free evening calls. This also coincided with the emergence of the cordless phone and parents were putting the phone in their baby’s room, dialling wherever they were going to be and leaving the line open all night, causing a shortage of available lines. Give ‘em an inch as they say...

I've got the Google maps location sharing function activated on my sons phone. Allows me to check that he's arrived safely at school and find his phone if he looses it.

I'm thinking of just hiding an old mobile phone in the van, hard wired into the leisure battery, creating a Google account for it and tracking it using the location sharing function.

I've got the Google maps location sharing function activated on my sons phone. Allows me to check that he's arrived safely at school and find his phone if he looses it.

I'm thinking of just hiding an old mobile phone in the van, hard wired into the leisure battery, creating a Google account for it and tracking it using the location sharing function.
You'd have to have the data on all the time though wouldn't you? Not familiar with Android but I assume it would have to always be listening for you to be able to query its position.

I was going to do similar using find my iphone but the back2you tracker was easier and more versatile.

You'd have to have the data on all the time though wouldn't you? Not familiar with Android but I assume it would have to always be listening for you to be able to query its position.

Yes, its data as opposed to an SMS. But I'd need to research his data usage and see just how much it uses. I don't think it's much though. Would just be a case of finding the right so only tariff.

Another option I wondered about is the sim card already in the Thermocall for the Webasto Airtop. If you ask it for a status update, the sim sends back a text with a reading on the on/off status, vehicle interior temperature and battery voltage. Its possible for mobile phone companies to give the police a location for the emitted signal, but not sure if there's s anyway to track the sim yourself, with just SMS.

Just a thought.

The rewire 104 pro has the ability to cut the fuel supply. This is basically just a on off switch to a relay.

This should be able to be wired into your aux heater to power on remotely. In reverse to a immobiliser.

Anyone tried it?

I have the same relay and wiring kit with my back2you tracker. I think all the different trackers based on the TK104 chipset can do this if they supply the kit.
I haven’t connected it to mine although I did think of using it to disconnect the lift pump but then you risk destroying your high-pressure fuel pump if it runs dry the other thing I was going to do was connect it into the starter relay fuse so that once the start stop kicks in it can’t be started again which could leave it stranded at a junction which should be fine.
In the end I went for the autowatch ghost so it doesn’t get stolen in the first place the tracker is just a secondary protection in case it gets towed or lifted and the tracker relay won’t help you in this situation.

I also have an Automatics Tracker, purchased after watching there YouTube videos. Also have a cheap GPS tracker fitted which sends me an sms when ever it moves from it’s home location. The cheap tracker is ok but can be easily jammed hence it’s only really a decoy. The main reason for having a tracker is to hopefully recover the vehicle before anything happens Automatics will locate and deal with the police for you so well worth paying the extra.

I went for Smartrack Pro. £199 fitted plus annual subscription. Gives me tracking on my mobile plus they track it and contact the police if the van is stolen.

I went for a lifetime subscription at £399 as i plan to keep my van, a camper conversion for many years.It then works out cheaper than an annual subscription.

You may also want to consider a ghost immobiliser which will hopefully prevent it being stolen in the first place

Last edited:
I also have an Automatics Tracker, purchased after watching there YouTube videos. Also have a cheap GPS tracker fitted which sends me an sms when ever it moves from it’s home location. The cheap tracker is ok but can be easily jammed hence it’s only really a decoy. The main reason for having a tracker is to hopefully recover the vehicle before anything happens Automatics will locate and deal with the police for you so well worth paying the extra.
seen a number of their YouTube videos. Service seems pretty good but most of the recovered cars have extensive damage from trying to locate any trackers. They tracked a M2 in under 24hrs and it was stripped in pieces when they found it. For me stopping the van getting nicked in the first place is more important.

Hardwired is always best.... the built in battery never lasts.

The problem with hardwired trackers is they are easy to find and disconnect. Say bye bye to your property.
This is why Thatcham have released a new category covering wireless trackers. They have the ability to last and to be discreet. They're difficult to find.

Wired and wireless both have there advantages and disadvantages depending on there setup.

wireless devices tend to report the location less often, but are easier to fit when 12v or usb power is not available.

on the security layers front i have:

steering wheel lock.
up rated alarm (metasat)(with the battery backup siren)
second clifford non can-bus alarm system
autowatch ghost immobilizer
metatrak cat6 tracker

Metatrak.co.uk

NEW! Autowatch Ghost CANbus Immobiliser

650 MKII Security Clifford - Car Alarms, Remote Starters, SmartStart

Meta System – Automotive Electronic Design

Stoplock Pro Steering Lock

Last edited:
Yup @Dellmassive . You can report as often as you wish in whatever form is available but you sacrifice battery life whilst retaining secrecy.
But, a tracker is only as good as its ability to provide it's location and be recovered and that's where 99% fall down, whether battery or hard wired....

Back