Security Tracker.

I like the idea of cutting the fuel supply on alarm... Perhaps a two tracker strategy is the way to go?

Looking to see if there is any updates on trackers??

Currently looking at the Smartrack vehicle tracking with the lifelong subscription fee (we plan on keeping the van for a long long time).

Is this still the best plan??
:)

My only issue with companies like this is that they rely on the police to go and retrieve your car. We all know that won't and doesn't happen. So your tracker can tell you where it is but the police won't go fetch unless you're a newsworthy "celeb" or you've left granny in the backseat and she could be injured.
Be careful how you throw cash at lifelong tracking contracts because unless someone outside of the fuzz will go get it, you're just throwing cash into someone's annual beer fund.

Cantrack chop shop.jpg

I've had this installed: Products; not cheap but the only tracker I could see that is accessible by the Police as its tracker system is installed in Police vehicles (and helicopters apparently) so they can then use the VHF technology to directly locate a stolen vehicle (it also uses GPS, GSM so you can track on the app too).

Looking to see if there is any updates on trackers??

Currently looking at the Smartrack vehicle tracking with the lifelong subscription fee (we plan on keeping the van for a long long time).

Is this still the best plan??
:)
I have a Global Telemetrics Cat 5 tracker with lifetime Smartrack subscription on my car - not sure of the tracker price as it was included as part of the negotiated price on the car but the lifetime subscription was £599 last September. Pretty good service so far with me getting the inevitable phone call to check vehicle movement within a few minutes if one of us moves the car without the dongles present.

Thanks for the replies. The converter is willing to install it but only if he knows which one we are using in order to wire it up correctly or something. I am not really very knowledgeable in this sort of things.

I've had this installed: Products; not cheap but the only tracker I could see that is accessible by the Police as its tracker system is installed in Police vehicles (and helicopters apparently) so they can then use the VHF technology to directly locate a stolen vehicle (it also uses GPS, GSM so you can track on the app too).

I have relatives in the Police force and when I enquired recently about tracking stolen vehicles the answer I got was ‘we are too busy to track stolen vehicles, tracker or otherwise’.
If your vehicle is stolen I think the odds on the Police getting involved are zero, unless they are already monitoring a large scale organised crime.
I had a large, noisy motorcycle stolen 34 years ago well before Police budget cuts.
I reported it to the Police, took a week off work, made enquiries and eventually located it in the same city a week later. I notified the Police that the same person is taking it out at the same time every night and gave them the exact location of the bike.....they were not interested.
I waited one evening and sorted the scumbag out myself and re-claimed my bike, whacker not tracker worked for me.

Thanks for the replies. The converter is willing to install it but only if he knows which one we are using in order to wire it up correctly or something. I am not really very knowledgeable in this sort of things.
As well as brand/model, he's probably referring to whether you go for a Cat 5 (highest level) or a Cat 6 (next level down) - the Cat 5 standard includes remote immobilisation which would change the way it is installed. Unless it's something aimed at the DIY market, make sure that the convertor is an approved installer for whatever tracker is being put in else you may struggle getting a monitoring contract set up.

Evening all,

I know this has been asked before, but I'm after first hand experience.

What trackers do you guys use and are they insurance approved.

The internet has loads of options, each one saying they are the best.

It's a minefield.

Thanks,

Martin.

we went for a Meta Trak system, £350 fitted then £99 sub for additional 12mnths after 1st year.

meta-trak-6.jpg
Meta Trak 6 (S7)
From the 31st December 2018 Thatcham categories have changed. All previous category 6 or 7, will automatically comply to new ‘Asset Location Systems’ criteria Category S7

A GPS/GSM Stolen vehicle tracking system with Thatcham Cat S7 Insurance Approval.

The Meta Trak 6 product is a waterproof unit suitable for both 12 and 24V vehicles. Along with the basic pre-requisites of an insurance approved tracking system which include, tow-away, low battery and tamper alerts, the Meta Trak 6 also provides a dedicated mobile app.

Please note the fully fitted price includes 1 years service subscription.

Resubscription Costs

• 1 Year - £99.95
  • 3 Years - £279.95

Meta Systems by Vestatec | Vehicle Tracking Tech

more info

Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

Quartix every time. I run 5 Van's and have never had an issue. No software issues, no data loss or loss of live tracking.
Theres various ways of paying for them, buying, renting etc.

Quartix every time. I run 5 Van's and have never had an issue. No software issues, no data loss or loss of live tracking.
Theres various ways of paying for them, buying, renting etc.

is that one Thatcham and insurance accredited . . . or just for personal tracking?

I dont think its accredited.....whats the difference?

From the 31st December 2018 Thatcham categories have changed. All previous category 6 or 7, will automatically comply to new ‘Asset Location Systems’ criteria Category S7

A GPS/GSM Stolen vehicle tracking system with Thatcham Cat S7 Insurance Approval

Approved ones:

have a dedicated ARC "Alarm Receiving center" that contact you directly in the event of activation and work directly with the police to attempt location/recovery.

they need to be professionally fitted,

you need to pay a subscription,

you get a discount on insurance as they are accredited/approved device,

DIY systems:

have an app that you can use personally - and are not monitored by a 3rd party ARC

are not normally insurance recognized

are DIY fitting

no subscription normally (though some do ask for a subscription to maintain there network)

======================

for example the METASAT one i have i can use the app on the phone . . . . . but when its triggered the app shuts down and full control goes over to the ARC with live realtime tracking who work with the police directly to attempt location/recovery . . . . we then work with the ARC.

If anything is triggered on the alarm or tracker the ARC will phone me up and ask whats going on . . . . . its happened loads of times now when i forgot about the tracker and disconnected the battery . . . . .they phone straight away asking whats up...... also the van got bumped in a car-park which set off the alarm, they called me to say the alarm had been activated . . . . i run out of the shop and checked the dashcam to see what had happened - luckily it wasn't a break-in. . . . just someone who revered into the van

I've got a Xexun XT009 on both the T6 and my GS, using asda mobile PAYG sim cards, no ongoing subscriptions and various features including movement, geo fence and remote cut off. Just bought a relay sized tracker for my KTM (needed something small and discreet as there's little space) for £15, it has similar features but I've not fitted it yet so can't comment on its use.

Be careful with these devices. Check that the call centre has their own recovery team because passing it to the police falls on deaf ears, they don't give a sht about an unconfirmed location report from a call centre.
Insurance companies will mostly acknowledge you have a tracked tracker and discount you as they feel fit, or not! Cat s7 accreditation will help with this.
Don't go for a replaceable SIM as they can run out of stop and typing them up needs time and focus. Esim appears to be the way to go. Waterproof, sealed, can't be turned off so absolute worst case, you get your tracker back of the scum find it and ditch it.
Wired devices are easier to find because of the wiring unless you're very smart with your power supply.
A device that's blasting it's id out over BT or WiFi will be found and removed in less than a minute.

Good luck. You're right it can be a minefield.

You are best recovering any stolen vehicle yourself.
If you inform the tracking company they insist on the police being in attendance before they do anything, in which time you can sort it yourself.
If the police get involved they (in my experience with a stolen lorry) tell you to get it yourself as they need to catch anyone in the act of breaking it up etc to make an arrest, that rarely ends in prosecution anyway. Also, again in my experience they impounded the lorry for forensics and charged me for the pleasure of 4 weeks off the road. I collected the truck and was working it the next day. That tracker was thatcham approved.

Back