Security Tracker.

Last edited:
I bought the Halfords one, set up APN but couldn’t get live tracking. The SMS works a treat, but battery only last 3-4 days. Had trouble charging it too, ended up wobbling the micro usb cable too much and now it’s knackered. Pretty good for £45 though.

Heres a few of the UK APN configs, that will need loading into some trackers to get them online...

Then you need to setup the account and password for the tracking platform/APP/tracking Service you are using. . . . . but that different.

EE APN settings
  • Name: EE Internet
  • APN: everywhere
  • Username: eesecure
  • Password: secure
  • MMSC: VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
  • MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135
  • MMS Port: 8080
  • Authentification Type: PAP
  • APN Type: internet+MMS. (If an entry is required type a * on its own)

Vodafone APN settings

• Name: Vodafone Internet
  • APN: internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
  • Username: web (PAYG - wap)
  • Password: web (PAYG - wap)
  • MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
  • MMS Proxy: 212.183.137.12
  • MMS Port: 8799

O2 APN settings

• Name: o2 Internet
  • APN: mobile.o2.co.uk (PAYG - payandgo.o2.co.uk)
  • Username: o2web (PAYG - payandgo)
  • Password: password
  • MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
  • MMS Proxy: 82.132.254.1
  • MMS Port: 8080

Three APN settings

• Name: 3 Internet
  • APN: three.co.uk
  • MMSC: http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
  • MMS Proxy: mms.three.co.uk
  • MMS Port: 8799

I have ask what is the point, my wife's boss had his van nicked a few months ago.

It had an expensive hidden tracker professionally installed so all good right????

The tracker showed the rout taken and was tracked to a compound of those that don't have houses and the police refused to act saying by the time they get a search warrant it would be gone. The insurance company was far to willing to accept that and the van is still lost but they paid out.

Therefore........

Well I've spent a fruitless afternoon resetting and redoing settings to try and get the app connectivity on my phone, I've now seen a comment online that GPRS (as required by this particular tracker) is not supported by Three. Oops, still glad it's only a £5 PAYG, I'll need to look into this SIM card/GPRS compatibility and see if it's worth changing it, as I'm quite happy with the Google maps location linkage through SMS.

Well I've spent a fruitless afternoon resetting and redoing settings to try and get the app connectivity on my phone, I've now seen a comment online that GPRS (as required by this particular tracker) is not supported by Three. Oops, still glad it's only a £5 PAYG, I'll need to look into this SIM card/GPRS compatibility and see if it's worth changing it, as I'm quite happy with the Google maps location linkage through SMS.

Yes, that can be true, some older style trackers will only work with a 2G SIM cards.

Sometimes its best to get the 12mnth supplied SIM card from the tracker reseller . . . . so you know it will work for the next 12mnths.

On my REWIRE UNIT i have the 12mnth M2M SIM subscription....

Had too many occasions where old SIM cards have just shut-down due to not being used . . . . . . ie text/calls because i was using data.

One time i was trying to work out why a tracker had gone offline.... so kept sending SMS location requests . . . . ended up having some Irate Guy phone me and asked me to stop texting him !!!!

seemed that the SIM carrier had re-issues the number! - that was Lyca-Mobile.

HI All,
Im also now looking at trackers for my van and do know about a company here in Milton Keynes called Cantrack. They work predominantly with commercial clients so are not well known in this industry, but, they have their own ex-coppers to go and get your van back. It wont cost you anywhere near the £800 that some of you have been quoted. This company may not help with your insurance premium but its the only way to actually get your investment back again if it does get nicked.
Im working myself up to biting the bullet and then proving to the insurance company that the other trackers of the world only tells them where the tracker is... they cant go and get it, and the police wont go without solid proof the vehicle is still there and the tracker is still in it!
Cheers

Can I ask with the cheap trackers, what happens when the van is stolen?
I presume you need to go and collect it yourself from the 'traveller camp' because the police wont trust the info or app? I've heard some stories that unless you can see the vehicle the police wont come out?
Has anyone tried this bit out?

Can I ask with the cheap trackers, what happens when the van is stolen?
I presume you need to go and collect it yourself from the 'traveller camp' because the police wont trust the info or app? I've heard some stories that unless you can see the vehicle the police wont come out?
Has anyone tried this bit out?
Is that not the same for any tracker?

Not at all. I know a company in MK that have their own crew of ex coppers that follow the tracker (Multi comms unit that isnt easy to jam, possible but not easy), then as ex coppers they call in and tell the police they have eyes-on so they can come out and clean up.
These guys have been on Thief Trackers but their business is mainly in plant protection so the big construction companies love them. they recover most nicked plant in less than 24hrs. Problem is, they are not recognised by any of the insurance companies we would use... :-(

But at the end of the day what do you want, a small discount on your insurance, or your van back after its been nicked?

But at the end of the day what do you want, a small discount on your insurance, or your van back after its been nicked?
Neither, really, would I want it back half wrecked or half stripped? just don't want it taken in the first place. Or at best stopped before it goes into hiding..

thats the idea behind getting it located and following it in the first minutes of the theft means you have a great chance of getting it recovered within 24hrs. Some plant has apparently been recovered in less than 8 hrs! If you're quick there isnt enough time to strip it. The only way to stop it getting nicked in the first place is to disable it every time you stop. Not ideal. :-(

Yes, that can be true, some older style trackers will only work with a 2G SIM cards.

Sometimes its best to get the 12mnth supplied SIM card from the tracker reseller . . . . so you know it will work for the next 12mnths.

On my REWIRE UNIT i have the 12mnth M2M SIM subscription....

Had too many occasions where old SIM cards have just shut-down due to not being used . . . . . . ie text/calls because i was using data.

One time i was trying to work out why a tracker had gone offline.... so kept sending SMS location requests . . . . ended up having some Irate Guy phone me and asked me to stop texting him !!!!

seemed that the SIM carrier had re-issues the number! - that was Lyca-Mobile.

I went out today and picked up an O2 PAYG SIM as I'd read they were GPRS compatible. I registered it, topped it up and the app works fine. I then decided that it would
use too much battery and cost more so disabled the GPRS (!!) but I now know how I can reactivate that functionality should I choose to. I'll see how the battery goes before
thinking about hardwiring it in, I've got a feeling I'm not going to get the 3 months stated...
I'll bear it in mind about the card and hope that regular texts will keep it active. I think if it was all to go for a ball of chalk I'm now of the mind that a tracker is a good thing to have in the van, and if it means putting in a slightly more expensive one then I think that's the way I'll go. I didn't balk at paying almost 3x the tracker cost for a glove
box two weeks ago.

great news @KR.

The SIM data will use more power . . .slightly. but you will never get 3months in my experience.

The Trackers normally report there location to the platform every 60sec or so . . . . which can be adjusted in the settings...

As for hardwired, that can be any easy option . . . . . just mount the tracker behind the glove-box with the GPS side facing up . . . . . then just use a "piggy back fuse holder" and pick up a ignition switched supply from the center line of fuses in the dash fuse-box.

The Ignition switched supply will mean the tracker will not drain your starter battery . . . . and the trackers in-built battery will keep it running when the van is just sitting about...

The app/platform is a much better/safer way of tracking as the platform will continuously log the location and enable you to look back at previous history and journey routes etc . . . . or setup GEO Fencing etc.

Reactions: KR.
Thanks Gents,
Reading this has confirmed I should get the Cantrack. Its a hardware E-SIM, fully sealed, turn on, hide and forget for 5 years. None of this faffing with charging batteries or cheap SIM cards that fail just when you want your van to be tracked. No hard wired stuff that can be easily traced and unplugged. Multi communication methods that are tough and expensive to block, plus they have a team of trackers and ex-coppers who can talk 'police-speak' when they find your property.
Just got to find the cash for it now...

Thanks Gents,
Reading this has confirmed I should get the Cantrack. Its a hardware E-SIM, fully sealed, turn on, hide and forget for 5 years. None of this faffing with charging batteries or cheap SIM cards that fail just when you want your van to be tracked. No hard wired stuff that can be easily traced and unplugged. Multi communication methods that are tough and expensive to block, plus they have a team of trackers and ex-coppers who can talk 'police-speak' when they find your property.
Cantrack is good and has excellent recovery rates but it works very differently - battery life is dependent on how the device is configured and the frequency of wake-up and reporting. If you want to know where your vehicle is at all times it may not be the device for you.

great news @KR.

The SIM data will use more power . . .slightly. but you will never get 3months in my experience.

The Trackers normally report there location to the platform every 60sec or so . . . . which can be adjusted in the settings...

As for hardwired, that can be any easy option . . . . . just mount the tracker behind the glove-box with the GPS side facing up . . . . . then just use a "piggy back fuse holder" and pick up a ignition switched supply from the center line of fuses in the dash fuse-box.

The Ignition switched supply will mean the tracker will not drain your starter battery . . . . and the trackers in-built battery will keep it running when the van is just sitting about...

The app/platform is a much better/safer way of tracking as the platform will continuously log the location and enable you to look back at previous history and journey routes etc . . . . or setup GEO Fencing etc.

Thanks for that, I suspect this will be the way that I go.

Thanks Gents,

I've seen these used on shipping container etc . . . . . sounds good, but pricing?

CanTrack.com – GPS Fleet Tracking, Asset Theft Recovery Solutions

so why is there no pricing information anywhere on the website?.... whats all that about?

and how can it deal with live tracking with a fixed internal battery? . . . . whats the update/refresh rate of these trackers? 1min? 1hr? 1day? . . . . .and for 5years?

I've seen these used on shipping container etc . . . . . sounds good, but pricing?

CanTrack.com – GPS Fleet Tracking, Asset Theft Recovery Solutions

so why is there no pricing information anywhere on the website?.... whats all that about?

and how can it deal with live tracking with a fixed internal battery? . . . . whats the update/refresh rate of these trackers? 1min? 1hr? 1day? . . . . .and for 5years?
I think that their main business is fleet so the pricing will be dependent on number of units, etc.. Though they did use to have a per unit price on the site.

To give you an idea, 2 years ago I paid circa £300 for a unit with an extended battery and my latest subscription was £88.

Back