Security Tracker.

Mickymiff

T6 Pro
Hi all,
Im about to get my van soon and was wondering if anyone has had a tracking device fitted to there van or done one themselves?
Are they hard to fit?
What is the cost of these?
Is it worth getting one?
If not fitted by oneself and recommendations on people or firms that fit them?

Hi @Mickymiff, if you type “tracker” into the search function, and tick the button “search titles”, you will find pages of discussions on vehicle trackers. This will make it far easier to get the answers you are after, as a lot has already been offered by members.

Hi @Mickymiff, if you type “tracker” into the search function, and tick the button “search titles”, you will find pages of discussions on vehicle trackers. This will make it far easier to get the answers you are after, as a lot has already been offered by members.
Ahhh sorry ,, im new ha ha cheers

A tracker should can also be connected to the alarm. Ie alarm goes off tracker company (contract) will phone you even if the van doesn’t actually move. Giving you an early heads up that something is afoot

Hi All,

I need to get a cat 5 tracker fitted. Anyone have one and which did you go for? Any good?

Thanks in advance.

Tracker , tracker cat 5 will cost you around £800 fit plus subscription.
Service is first class.

I recently bought a GPS tracker off Amazon (TKSTAR), price £45. It's pretty basic but I'm quite happy with it. There is an app for my phone that I've installed but I'm having configuration issues getting the unit enabled online. It does however work in SMS mode, I send a message to the SIM card installed in the unit and it replies with a message containing battery strength, vehicle speed and a Google Maps location. I've put a Three SIM card in the unit and they charge 2p per text with no expiry so a fiver should last a while, especially once I stop playing with it. I'm not sure it was wise telling my wife how to access my vans location :)

The battery is currently at 100% and is supposed to last 3 months, so I'll monitor that and although it can be hard wired into the van I may not bother if I get 2 or 3 months out of the battery between recharges. My van is a full camper conversion so there are plenty places to stash it inside the van, it comes with strong magnets in the case for attaching to metal surfaces. It's not going to compete with more expensive options but some of you may be interested in the basic functionality for a relatively cheap outlay.

If any of you have one or similar I'd be interested in any comments about these cheaper trackers.

I love the cheap trackers and have had numerous ones over the years.

I've found out that.....

It's best to get the sim card setup and working in a old phone first to make sure all is well.

Make sure you set the correct APN address in the tracker for the same sim card you are using for the app and data to work.

Hardwired is always best.... the built in battery never lasts....

Always check the tracker at least once every week to make sure it's still working and hasn't locked up. . . . . .(you dont want to find out that the one day you NEED IT that is been offline for weeks)

Last edited:
I love the cheap trackers and have had numerous ones over the years.

I've found out that.....

It's best to get the sim card setup and working in a old phone first to make sure all is well.

Make sure you set the correct APN address in the tracker for the same sim card you are using for the app and data to work.

Hardwired is always best.... the built in battery never lasts....

Always check the tracker at least once every week to make sure it's working.

Any specific recommendations?

Cheap trackers.

I have a Global Telemetrics on my MH, but that was £1200 fitted, and £199 a year.
I'd be interested in trying a cheap one on my T6 out of interest.
One that I can potentially see on an App, like my MH one, and wondered if you'd recommend one if you've tried several.

Back