SCA Pop roof leaving a gap

Pbowman

Hey folks,

wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can advise. Trying to close the roof today and the rear driver side is staying about 1cm high. No obstructions. Fabric etc. Even removed the roof bed to rule that out. But just cannot get this side to close flush anymore

trying to avoid the trip from edin -> Liverpool to get it looked at (bought campervan last month) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

8126AE25-2660-487E-9050-4188BE68C563.jpeg

2FA42189-4BE0-431F-8B3D-6300C7A9124C.jpeg

42549A49-B1FA-427D-8A9F-91F2210F2003.jpeg

288F1E4E-C8C5-4DDD-B1AD-26DE766F81DD.jpeg

2F86BD14-BF1E-4327-B63F-3CC7662556F0.jpeg

716BFE32-EE43-4332-BE89-142D991D3CAC.jpeg

Obvious candidates are:

1) Obstruction inside - you say you’ve checked this so presumably not.
2) Overtightened bolt on the hinge - check.
3) Issue with the rear gas strut. You can see a difference in colour up to a certain point on one of them. Harder to diagnose without removing them. Could swap them over and see if the problem switches sides?
4) Actual alignment issue - the painful one, likely a trip back to the converter.

Easier to diagnose with two people, one to slowly pull down and one to fiddle around with it outside to try and work out where the resistance is.

Has it been like this from installation?
Or you’ve just noticed it?
Or it’s a recent defect?
Does the roof sit level side to side when raised?
Measure the distance from a fixed reference point (eg tailgate lip) to the rear of the hinge, compare both sides, they should be the same.
Stretch a piece of string across the top of the SCA roof and check for anomalies / deformation in the SCA product.

Obvious candidates are:

1) Obstruction inside - you say you’ve checked this so presumably not.
2) Overtightened bolt on the hinge - check.
3) Issue with the rear gas strut. You can see a difference in colour up to a certain point on one of them. Harder to diagnose without removing them. Could swap them over and see if the problem switches sides?
4) Actual alignment issue - the painful one, likely a trip back to the converter.

Easier to diagnose with two people, one to slowly pull down and one to fiddle around with it outside to try and work out where the resistance is.
Thanks will check 2/3 shortly!
Appreciate the quick reply

Has it been like this from installation?
Or you’ve just noticed it?
Or it’s a recent defect?
Does the roof sit level side to side when raised?
Measure the distance from a fixed reference point (eg tailgate lip) to the rear of the hinge, compare both sides, they should be the same.
Stretch a piece of string across the top of the SCA roof and check for anomalies / deformation in the SCA product.
Bought it last month (ex hire) and have had 5 uses with no issue. Just noticed it when putting the roof down today.

think it is the rear right gas strut though as you can see from this video it sticks on that side coming down and the strut looks to have some abrasion.

appreciate the help and advise from everyone will see what the dealer says

8453DB68-8F44-495A-9D37-1E83FC580EF8.jpeg

5354CAFA-F1B6-4162-A3FE-AA72B4A489A1.jpeg

Bought it last month (ex hire) and have had 5 uses with no issue. Just noticed it when putting the roof down today.

think it is the rear right gas strut though as you can see from this video it sticks on that side coming down and the strut looks to have some abrasion.

View attachment 128648

View attachment 128649

Streamable Video should be the video.

One way to check if it is the strut is to exchange left and right. Make sure the roof if correctly supported level first and help is at hand.

Got off the phone to the dealer - they have advised it can only be caused by user error and it must be due to the tailgate being open when the roof was lifted.
have checked the sca user manual and see no mention of this, so would be interested to see anyone’s views on this.

Have advised if they can confirm this is the case then any repair cost would be my responsibility

have emailed sca direct as don’t believe this to be a user error (nothings ever been left in the roof when closing as I’m majorly paranoid about damaging it)

And have no documentation from the dealer advising that the boot should never be open for opening or closing the roof

That’s sounds like a complete cop out to me by the dealer.

As you’ve already identified, you appear to have one strut behaving differently, and I can’t see how that would be caused by user error, or having the tailgate open.

And if there’s nothing about the tailgate in the manual, or any other briefing to you, wouldn’t have thought they have a leg to stand on with that one. Be interesting to see what SCA have to say about it?

That’s sounds like a complete cop out to me by the dealer.

As you’ve already identified, you appear to have one strut behaving differently, and I can’t see how that would be caused by user error, or having the tailgate open.

And if there’s nothing about the tailgate in the manual, or any other briefing to you, wouldn’t have thought they have a leg to stand on with that one. Be interesting to see what SCA have to say about it?
Was exactly my thoughts. They claim that because I ticked a box saying that they showed me how to operate the roof. That they had told me about the tailgate. A tailgates hinges are completely separate and would in no way affect this.

wording on the handover document states “demonstrate / explain habitation aspects” and elevating roof operation.
Again no mention in particular on the tailgate - and have found no operation manuals for hire companies that mention the tailgate can’t be open.

probably going to get it repaired elsewhere and avoid the dealer at all costs depending on price (cost of petrol and accommodation for me to drive 300 miles each way and take time off work means it’s going to be expensive) so just need SCA reply now really.

pissed off at the dealer is an understatement!

Was exactly my thoughts. They claim that because I ticked a box saying that they showed me how to operate the roof. That they had told me about the tailgate. A tailgates hinges are completely separate and would in no way affect this.

wording on the handover document states “demonstrate / explain habitation aspects” and elevating roof operation.
Again no mention in particular on the tailgate - and have found no operation manuals for hire companies that mention the tailgate can’t be open.

probably going to get it repaired elsewhere and avoid the dealer at all costs depending on price (cost of petrol and accommodation for me to drive 300 miles each way and take time off work means it’s going to be expensive) so just need SCA reply now really.

pissed off at the dealer is an understatement!

Name and shame?

Good evidence that a glitzy website and from end sales, doesnt always equate to good customer service

View attachment 128648

View attachment 128649
To me, the right hand strut looks to be a steeper angle than the left. Surely an installation issue?

I’ve lifted and dropped my (Austops) roof with the tailgate open and closed. Never been an issue on mine.

Gotta love a company that have already decided its your fault without even seeing it !

Back