Advise Needed Please. Obtaining Paper trail for my campervan conversion.

LeanneTangoT6.1

TangoCamperT6.1
VIP Member
Hello
I purchased my T6.1 Camper Conversion this time last year. It was used with on 12,000 miles on the clock, from a campervan dealer (not the company who converted it).
I have tried to get in-touch with the conversion company: (Evans Caravan & Campers in North Wales) I must add they have been far from helpful or forth coming with details.
It seems that every day, I am finding yet another issue, ultimately I now feel totally stupid but for such a new van didn't expect such poor workman ship.
List of issues I have found:
  • Poor wiring in conversion,
    • Earth cable attached to a wonky screw in drivers seat (only noticed as i got a shock last week whilst disconnecting the leisure battery to change a blown fuse)
    • Loose cables and not properly insulated (can see the copper wire poorly pushed in the the batter charger)
    • Tripped MCB Looked at wires behind the fuse board to find them all just hanging around near bare screws.
    • 240v power input poorly sealed, the silicon used is just falling off.
    • Metal pipe clamp inside water tank (totally rusted luckily never intended to drink from it:sick:)
    • No labels on any cables, or paper work. so when a simple fuse blows its like brain surgery to figure out.
    • this black wire, wedged into fuse box ( again no idea where it even leads too).
    • LED Light strip blown as was hard wired in to lighting ring, with no form of LED transformer.
    • Rust residue on earth block, held in place with 1 screw.
    • Side door light in door step has no wire even leading to it
    • The list probably goes on :eek: this is all just what I have found, am actually scared to take it to a auto electrician.
  • Other Issues,
    • Pop-Top has screws missing, noticed on Saturday when popping little boy to bed. with the fear of him being crushed i closed it.
    • Sealant around the sink pipes fall off in hand when had to remove the fridge (again it tripped, probably water from the sink not being sealed properly)
    • Carpet on roof not stuck properly
    • Missing plastic screw grommets, to access behind. (assuming more wires?)
    • When checked wires as mentioned above, looks as though there is no insulation.
    • Double Swivel Passenger Seat doesn't appear to secure into the actual vehicle, its just goes in the the lino.
    • PVC finish around units is too small gaps of over 1cm to join.
Honestly for the price I paid for this camper, I am totally disheartened. I love my van so much, but with all the issues its more of a 1st timer DIY job.
I have been in-touch with the converters as their name is stitched in to the seats, and they just keep asking me to take it to them to look at the snagging.
I have provided them with photos ect... and explained to them i live over 300 miles away (5 hour drive). I cannot afford to complete that drive, stop over for them to fix everything, as it is all far from a 1 day job.

Does any one know, if they have to keep records of wiring diagrams, certificates, gas habitation checks ect....
I do not have anything, other than a fridge and cooker user guide.
I have asked them what works they carried out on the conversion, and when: (again no response just dodged the question).
I was hoping to start renting out the campervan this year, just enough for it to pay for its self. But now I am even concerned to use it my self other than as a panel van.
I am very concerned, at what cost outlay this is going to set me back now.

Any help or suggestions would be a great help to me, as the camper company I purchased the van, from sold it as a used van and said they were not use to the conversion as it is not the products they use.
So unfortunately they are unlikely to be of any assistance plus had issues with them too (selling me a bike wrack that wouldn't fit due to spoiler, only got a refund for that 3 months ago which was a battle).
I have tried searching on google but all I come across is right to return in 30days ect.... I must add the van its self drives like a dream (hats of to VW) but the conversion my worst nightmare.

Have pictures if needed struggling to upload any

Sorry to hear your tale of woe! Amongst a long list, ‘sealant around sink pipes’ stands out - there shouldn’t be any sealant needed round pipe work, just the correct size components and the appropriate pipe clips or union nuts. Really do want to see the pictures (it’s the “attach files” paper clip on my phone )

You’ve got to give them the benefit they’ve said take it to them and they will take a look they can’t do much more than that on the other hand if your concerned about the workmanship do you really want them any where near it again

I have been in-touch with the converters as their name is stitched in to the seats, and they just keep asking me to take it to them to look at the snagging.
Unfortunately there are many new ‘converters’ who cashed in on the increase in campervan popularity, plus a few really big operators who turn out mediocre cosmetic jobs and seem to get away with it.
If the converter is asking you to visit them to fix the problems that is entirely reasonable IMO, how else do you want them to fix it?

Double Swivel Passenger Seat doesn't appear to secure into the actual vehicle, its just goes in the the lino.
If that were the case I’m fairly sure the seat and passenger would have moved at the first sharp corner.

Unfortunately there are many new ‘converters’ who cashed in on the increase in campervan popularity, plus a few really big operators who turn out mediocre cosmetic jobs and seem to get away with it.
If the converter is asking you to visit them to fix the problems that is entirely reasonable IMO, how else do you want them to fix it?
They didn't actually offer to fix anything, they said it is due a service which will cost me xxx and they will have a look at my list I presented. And it's not gonna be a day job so will have to find other accommodation on tip of the 660 round trip fuel cost. The van shouldn't even have left their property like this .

If that were the case I’m fairly sure the seat and passenger would have moved at the first sharp corner.

Screenshot_20230808_191944_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_192048_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_192038_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_192017_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191853_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191844_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191829_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191822_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191800_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191747_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191928_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191902_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230808_191955_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230808_191857_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230808_191838_Gallery.jpg

Yes it’s pretty terrible workmanship, you bought it from a dealer not the converter so your issue is with the dealer.
I’m assuming that it was in the same condition when you viewed and bought it which implicates that you accepted it, if the dealer has offered to ‘take a look’ at the defects then that’s as much as you can expect.
Regarding your inconvenience and costs that really isn’t the dealers concern.

You’ve got to give them the benefit they’ve said take it to them and they will take a look they can’t do much more than that on the other hand if your concerned about the workmanship do you really want them any where near it again
Your second point exactly, I'm looking to see if they have to keep a paper trail of Conversions. Ie gas safety and electrical ect..... because at present they havnt even told me what works they carried out as the person who bought it from them could have added more if that makes sense

Yes it’s pretty terrible workmanship, you bought it from a dealer not the converter so your issue is with the dealer.
I’m assuming that it was in the same condition when you viewed and bought it which implicates that you accepted it, if the dealer has offered to ‘take a look’ at the defects then that’s as much as you can expect.
Regarding your inconvenience and costs that really isn’t the dealers concern.
The dealer I purchased it from is in north London, where as the name on the seats who I assume carried out the conversion is in North Wales. But information like this is kind of what I am looking for. Is it the converter or the dealer who re sold it

Sorry to hear your tale of woe! Amongst a long list, ‘sealant around sink pipes’ stands out - there shouldn’t be any sealant needed round pipe work, just the correct size components and the appropriate pipe clips or union nuts. Really do want to see the pictures (it’s the “attach files” paper clip on my phone )
Can't access the pipes again without removing the fridge but the sealant is the same as the sealant around the water and electric input. If I touch it will just come off

The electrical work definitely wasn’t carried out by an auto electrician with a conscience or any self respect.
As far as I’m aware the dealer doesn’t need to provide habitation certificates etc as you bought the package that offered for sale.

@LeanneTangoT6.1 were you the first person to own it as a conversion
Thats a key point, if its used with 12k miles on the clock then whos to say what the convertor did and whats been done since first purchase ?
I suspect its pretty much all original but the convertor will also want to confirm this

I’m lost, I thought you bought it from the dealer?
Sorry, I bought it from a dealer. It was their first time of selling a conversion from another company. They usually do their own vans. I contacted the converter ie the name stitched in to the seats, as they would be the ones who carried out the work in the first place.

I would take some legal advice.

I think it is the company you purchased from who are responsible for resolving your issues.

If it were me I’d find a local ‘trusted’ van conversion business who are prepared to a) check it over from a safety perspective and b) provide a written report of any defects.

Pass that to the business responsible for resolving to fix everything.

Sorry, I bought it from a dealer. It was their first time of selling a conversion from another company. They usually do their own vans. I contacted the converter ie the name stitched in to the seats, as they would be the ones who carried out the work in the first place.
From what you say I reckon the DEALER took this van as PX on one of their vans
Why would the alleged original CONVERTER get another company the DEALER that converts vans as well to sell on their behalf when their company the CONVERTER sells them as well
It maybe the company you think converted it only ever sold it with some posh branded seats and no conversion

Back