Hi, I’m no expert but previously I’ve owned Bragans ones and now have VW ones. On both the instructions said to place the spacer plate smooth side up & in fact certainly in my experience if I didn’t then the roof bar feet wouldn’t have had much of a stable surface to rest on. As the underside is mainly hollowed out. If that makes sense. ? I’m yet to refit my VW ones but now have the parts / bolts and nuts as set out in this thread.
Thought it must be right with smooth side up only reason I was asking is because the rubbers between the plastic feet and the metal rail doesn’t sit perfectly (see image below) this cast a doubt into my mind.

AE17D5D8-A859-40AD-BCFD-73E0BE77766B.jpeg

Might be worth asking the supplier? My rubber / gaskets took a bit of manipulating. You ideally want them snug fit to keep
Out rain. Which is so yet reason for smooth plate up, give more surface areas to get better seal on those rubbers .

Might be worth asking the supplier? My rubber / gaskets took a bit of manipulating. You ideally want them snug fit to keep
Out rain. Which is so yet reason for smooth plate up, give more surface areas to get better seal on those rubbers .
Getting a solar panel fitted to the rails tomorrow so unfortunately not an option to speak to the supplier. What I did notice when putting on the roof rails that the threaded bars didn’t line up with the centre of each hole in the metal rail - I think this is why the rubber is tight on the left but not tight on the right. Hopefully the rubber/metal washers I put on the roof before the bars were put on cope with the rubbers not being fully sealed.

Could any one else who has fitted the Omtec rails send me some detail pictures of how theirs look fitted paying particular attention to how the rubber sits between the plastic foot and bottom of the metal rail?

Getting a solar panel fitted to the rails tomorrow so unfortunately not an option to speak to the supplier. What I did notice when putting on the roof rails that the threaded bars didn’t line up with the centre of each hole in the metal rail - I think this is why the rubber is tight on the left but not tight on the right. Hopefully the rubber/metal washers I put on the roof before the bars were put on cope with the rubbers not being fully sealed.
hey Kmoll can i ask who is fitting the solar panel and if you have any details mounting, wattage, etc. im looking to try and get a roof rail mounted solar panel system as i really dont want to cut any holes in my van.

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance,

hey Kmoll can i ask who is fitting the solar panel and if you have any details mounting, wattage, etc. im looking to try and get a roof rail mounted solar panel system as i really dont want to cut any holes in my van.

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance,
Hi Shane I used VTUB Campervan Electrics (Scott is a top bloke) no holes needed drilling in the van. Just get in touch with him and he will sort you out - he also does mobile fitting so he will come to you.

DB25055D-49C2-407F-97D1-6342840B8C81.png

Hi Shane I used VTUB Campervan Electrics (Scott is a top bloke) no holes needed drilling in the van. Just get in touch with him and he will sort you out - he also does mobile fitting so he will come to you.

View attachment 93592
thanks for the speedy response mate.

i take it you're happy with your solar set up? its always good to get recommendations, I'm living in Holland at the minute but due back in the summer ill give him a bell and see when he can fit me in and what he suggests.

thanks again

thanks for the speedy response mate.

i take it you're happy with your solar set up? its always good to get recommendations, I'm living in Holland at the minute but due back in the summer ill give him a bell and see when he can fit me in and what he suggests.

thanks again
Only got the van back yesterday and it’s been overcast all day - Scott installed a victron 175w solar panel and MTTP 75/15 he did a very neat install with no holes drilled in roof. I fitted the rails to the van before hand (leaving the cross rails off) - using the method in this thread.

Only got the van back yesterday and it’s been overcast all day - Scott installed a victron 175w solar panel and MTTP 75/15 he did a very neat install with no holes drilled in roof. I fitted the rails to the van before hand (leaving the cross rails off) - using the method in this thread.
I've got the rails fitted already via factory method but am fitting some lightning leisure awning rails so will convert to this method shortly. can i ask what cross bars yo are using. I've seen some are purely cosmetic but id like some that can be used to take a bit of weight too.

thank you

I've got the rails fitted already via factory method but am fitting some lightning leisure awning rails so will convert to this method shortly. can i ask what cross bars yo are using. I've seen some are purely cosmetic but id like some that can be used to take a bit of weight too.

thank you

I got these ones from Vanstyle (they are Omtec branded).

656F43FA-5C6E-434F-8331-DF07CEB7382A.png

perfect i was just looking at these

thanks
I bought some of those for my last van. I think they were rated for like 30kg or something. I wanted more rating so bought some lockable ones that are 75kg. They are raised though - not flat between the rails. But hey ho.

great thread cheers guys!
about to fit mine and had one question, apologies if I missed it was alot to digest in 5 pages!

How did you guys tighten the treaded bar into the van roof please? I understand it needs to go in the same depth as the OEM bolts and that the nyloc nut can be tighten after but how did you grip the threaded bar to tighten it in?

Cheers

great thread cheers guys!
about to fit mine and had one question, apologies if I missed it was alot to digest in 5 pages!

How did you guys tighten the treaded bar into the van roof please? I understand it needs to go in the same depth as the OEM bolts and that the nyloc nut can be tighten after but how did you grip the threaded bar to tighten it in?

Cheers
Put a nylock nut onto the bar first and wind it down so you have the right amount of bar sticking through it. Then you can put the bar into the roof by tightening the nylock. You’ll probably need to have a couple of nuts on the other end of the bar when you put the main nylock on to hold the bar so it doesn’t spin while you turn the nylock into place.

Hi All

Does anyone have a view whether stainless or zinc plated bar, nuts etc. should be used?

Cheers
Definitely go stainless, I picked up all the bits I needed from toolstation. They sell 6mm stainless steel bar in 1m lengths which is plenty for fixing the rails. I also got the nylock nuts from there too

To add I have packs of the roofers washers with the rubber built in, 6mm nyloc nuts and Normal washers (all top grade stainless) which I won’t need. I didn’t buy that much stud bar so don’t have that spare.

i’ll happily send sets of all except stud bar for the price of post.

cheers,
Hi, do you still have these?

Back