...oh and now I have 4.5 metres of stainless M6 stud bar and a load of nyloc nuts and washers.

If anyone wants a set to do the mod above, let me know :cool:

All ready to go, just waiting on the Omtec bars to arrive. Thanks for the helpful info on this post.

On my last van I used copious amounts of sealant and didn’t have an issue. However, this way is so much neater.

thanks

81EC0ACC-FCFC-42AC-8CB3-1B8E954E0E38.jpeg

Ok. So I've replaced the manufacturers bolts with what is suggested on here.
What I had to do Vanzilla, was to cut each length of stud bar down by 10mm each as they protruded through the roof bars opening and the black cap wouldn't fit.
Maybe it's different designs of bars?:rolleyes:
But all is good now!
Thanks for a great tip

Interesting yes must be diff design.
Mine are the Omtec ones and those measurements left plenty of space for the black caps.
Great mod though isn’t it apart from the pain in the arse getting the nylocs down the rods to the right position!

Good shout. Just doing mine..

Which way do the cross bars face? The thinner edge facing forward or at the back?

If they are Omtec roof bars, then it’s thin edge forward. Look on the underside of the clamp brackets - they are marked Left and Right.

Pete

Thanks. Yes they are genuine bars and rails. I have put the thin edge forward but I was unsure due to thule wing bars going the opposite way. Why is this do you know? Seems strange...

I’ve got Omtec rails and have my nut / stud and roofers washers ready to go. Quick question before I go for it tomorrow... did anyone else trim the foot around the mount hole? I know some expanded it to clear the nut but I’ve trimmed each down so that part doesn’t sit on the washer (it’s approx 3mm total height so I think would hold the foot off the roof.
Aside from maybe doing the above has anyone got any other recommended mods?

im using a lightening leisure awning rail if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Fitted my Omtec’s with a lightening leisure ‘hidden’ awning rail today. Needed some trimming to the middle foot due to the awning but otherwise a nice job. Really confident it’s been done ‘right’ so I’m happy. Thanks for this thread!

46B8BCAC-2C1F-40E7-B956-A0002FDA98A6.jpeg

31BB2A9E-B4EC-4EA5-B16F-6EEF5B000C28.jpeg

Interesting yes must be diff design.
Mine are the Omtec ones and those measurements left plenty of space for the black caps.
Great mod though isn’t it apart from the pain in the arse getting the nylocs down the rods to the right position!

They must be a different design:confused:. I was scratching around looking for an extended socket to fit the nut.....but when the stud iron protruded out of the hole where the plastic cap fits on the roof bars, I HAD to cut the stud iron down. So the nuts didn't have far to travel to secure the roof bars. Sorted now....leak free!!!!!

...oh and now I have 4.5 metres of stainless M6 stud bar and a load of nyloc nuts and washers.

Hi just fitted my bars last week with just silcone and ruber washers. Would really like take back off and refit this way. This is a very good idea
Id love a set if you could send out to me, i can cover cost, thanks

To add I have packs of the roofers washers with the rubber built in, 6mm nyloc nuts and Normal washers (all top grade stainless) which I won’t need. I didn’t buy that much stud bar so don’t have that spare.

i’ll happily send sets of all except stud bar for the price of post.

cheers,

Reactions: .50
To add I have packs of the roofers washers with the rubber built in, 6mm nyloc nuts and Normal washers (all top grade stainless) which I won’t need. I didn’t buy that much stud bar so don’t have that spare.

cheers,
Hi yes that be grate, pm me your paypal so can send funds over, so all i need now is the m6 bar

cheers,
Just noticed you have same rails and awning rail as on mine, did you put bar in ,with rubber washer then fit the awning rail then add roofers washer with nut ready for bars to fit on top, sorry for all questions, cheers

Hi just fitted my bars last week with just silcone and ruber washers. Would really like take back off and refit this way. This is a very good idea
Id love a set if you could send out to me, i can cover cost, thanks
Hi yes that be grate, pm me your paypal so can send funds over, so all i need now is the m6 bar

Hi Kclemoo,
I've got plenty of m6 stainless bar, washers & nuts.
Just let me know what you still need.
Thanks,
Andy.

Hi Kclemoo,
I've got plenty of m6 stainless bar, washers & nuts.
Just let me know what you still need.
Thanks,
Andy.
Hi thanks for reply, i ended up buying parts from ebay, as the weather meant to be ok on weekend, so planning on wipping roof bars off and doing this mod. Thanks again

Hi there,

I fitted my VW factory rails using what are in the box but now I'm scared I'm gonna have a leak - is it a fore gone conclusion?

In any case, could I get some of those bits from you just in case?

Thank you.

Just got mine off and redone today. Had to send a m6 tap down threads to remove old silicone. I still put dab of silicone on threads just as a precaution, but must say this mod is a must.....

20200829_120236.jpg

20200824_161750.jpg

Reactions: .50
Back