Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Thanks for that @carlg ,i did look on their site,gone up to $699,how long did it take to come and are you still happy with it? Thanks

Thanks for that @carlg ,i did look on their site,gone up to $699,how long did it take to come and are you still happy with it? Thanks
It took about 2 weeks to get here, but that was back in April, so covid had delayed a lot of flights.
Now I have got one not sure I really needed one, I have a bike rack on the tow bar, and have to make sure nothing in the way before opening, also tow a caravan so same again making sure all clear before opening. It's good for work, when carrying stuff, just use the foot switch.
You do need a soft Close latch, I fitted a genuine one, the one they supply is not very good.

Yes @carlg ,i could see how that could be a pain with the towing etc,i already have the power latching so that wouldn't be a problem. I will have a think and we'll see,thanks very much

@carlg or Anyone else! Do you have any idea if this kit from autoease will fit my T6.1 transporter shuttle? I am Desperate for an electric boot - I’m not strong enough to shut it!! Thank you

@carlg or Anyone else! Do you have any idea if this kit from autoease will fit my T6.1 transporter shuttle? I am Desperate for an electric boot - I’m not strong enough to shut it!! Thank you
If you go on the Autoease Web site and look for installers there are some in the UK, give them a call

Recently bought my new T6.1 which didn't have the factory electric tailgate. Does anyone know of any good kits on the market? I've seen this one

Also any places that could fit.

Cheers

Recently bought my new T6.1 which didn't have the factory electric tailgate. Does anyone know of any good kits on the market? I've seen this one

Also any places that could fit.

Cheers
It appears that this kit is not compatible with T6.1 :(
EDIT:
Unless it doesn't require CAN bus connection.

Reactions: mmi
How did you work out where to cut the holes in your tailgate for the strut cable rubber groments ? You you have any instal pictures ? Keen to learn more if possible.

How did you work out where to cut the holes in your tailgate for the strut cable rubber groments ? You you have any instal pictures ? Keen to learn more if possible.
The cables for the struts go through the grommets for the rear light clusters. No hole cutting required.

Ah, ok. Understood. Does that mean then, that you mount the Struts with the cables at the bottom end, opposite to their instructions ? thier Instructions show a picture with the cable end at the top.

Also, If the strut cables route in to the van through the light clusters then do you mount their Control Unit in the tailgate still, as the strut cables won't then reach ?

Is the Control Unit therefore mounted somewhere in the rear of the van, not the tailgate ?

I am guessing that I will need to deviate quite a bit from their instructions.

Ah, ok. Understood. Does that mean then, that you mount the Struts with the cables at the bottom end, opposite to their instructions ? thier Instructions show a picture with the cable end at the top.

Also, If the strut cables route in to the van through the light clusters then do you mount their Control Unit in the tailgate still, as the strut cables won't then reach ?

Is the Control Unit therefore mounted somewhere in the rear of the van, not the tailgate ?

I am guessing that I will need to deviate quite a bit from their instructions.
Ahh, I'm talking OEM. I don't know about fitting any other kits

Ahh, I'm talking OEM. I don't know about fitting any other kits

Thanks Deaky, non the less.

Yes, I'm planning on fitting the Autoease 3rd party version. Will look at the tail light grommet holes for cables, as that may be a better route. Good idea, and thanks for the suggestion.

Will document how goes and get it added to the forum with a bit of luck. It's a great resource.

Many thanks,

Matt

Thanks Deaky, non the less.

Yes, I'm planning on fitting the Autoease 3rd party version. Will look at the tail light grommet holes for cables, as that may be a better route. Good idea, and thanks for the suggestion.

Will document how goes and get it added to the forum with a bit of luck. It's a great resource.

Many thanks,

Matt
You could always whatsapp the fella from Autoease. He's fairly quick to answer

Also interested in your installation of the Autolease kit, as I'm trying to gauge if this is something I could do myself.

Also interested in your installation of the Autolease kit, as I'm trying to gauge if this is something I could do myself.

Here you can get an idea if you are able to do the job yourself ;)

Attachments

• VW T6 V3C.0.2 Portellone Elettrico Autoease.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
Hi all. My missis is complaining about the manual tailgate. Absense of the powerlatch adds to frustration.
I started to collect some parts as I have been able to source the new OEM parts at a very good price. I already have the original power struts, the power latch unit (7E0827511A), the control box (7E0959107A) and the wiring kit from carsystems.pl.
I need help to clarify a few things and would be grateful for any tips to my questions.

1. I am having the sound proofing fitted eof Jan. Will soundproofing the tailgate create any issues for the powered struts to open the door properly?

2. Since the soundproofing involves removing all interior, it might be a good idea to ask the installers to add the wiring kit. Do all the wires need to go through the roofing and A-pillar towards the dash? Is there anywhere else that the cables need to go that might be wise to install during the soundproofing?

3. I have not been able to find a thread on power latch install on this forum. Do I need any extra cables for the latch unit? Do any cables need to go into the front of the car?

4. Perhaps there is also a fitting manual from Kufatec or other sources? (either for powered tailgate or for power latching)
IMG_20201231_141333.jpg

Wiring kit for the tailgate is on the left. The right one is for the rear view camera.
IMG_20201231_140904.jpg

Last edited:
  1. I am having the sound proofing fitted eof Jan. Will soundproofing the tailgate create any issues for the powered struts to open the door properly?

2. Since the soundproofing involves removing all interior, it might be a good idea to ask the installers to add the wiring kit. Do all the wires need to go through the roofing and A-pillar towards the dash? Is there anywhere else that the cables need to go that might be wise to install during the soundproofing?

3. I have not been able to find a thread on power latch install on this forum. Do I need any extra cables for the latch unit? Do any cables need to go into the front of the car?

4. Perhaps there is also a fitting manual from Kufatec or other sources? (either for powered tailgate or for power latching)

1. I don't have any extra soundproofing on my tailgate but based on my experiments you could add few kilograms to the tailgate and it will continue to be operational. The only thing you need to be aware is that when you park on significant incline facing downhill your tailgate might not open on first attempt.

2. OEM wiring is routed as you have described and the main part of it is going along the vehicle (power supply and CAN bus). Everything else stays at the back of vehicle.

3. Tailgate power latching is an independent setup and is not connected to the CAN bus and therefore all wiring is located within tailgate "neighbourhood ".

4. When I bought my tailgate loom from Kufatec there was no manual with it but no worries all aspects of this retrofit have been already explained in this thread.

Hi Eugene. I’ve fitted a power tailgate and power latch using kufatec kits. The tailgate was pretty straight forward. I ran the wiring from back to front under the flooring. I don’t think it would be long enough to run across the roof. As it is the kit is for a l/h drive van so you have to extend a wire when you get to the front. You need to run the cables on the drivers side of the van as you need to run a few wires in to the drivers door for a switch and connect to the can bus. As for the power latching kit I have never got mine to work. I followed the suppled instructions which includes a wire to connect to can bus. You also need to run a wire into the tailgate to send a signal to power latch control module. I noticed in your picture you haven’t the power latch control module so you will need one of these. If you brought the kits from kufatec you should be able to log on to their web site and download fitting instructions. I noticed on Roberts reply that you don’t need to connect to the cam bus. But this contradicts the supplied instructions. And as mine has never worked he might be right. I think the kits supplied are ok but I wasn’t impressed with the quality for the wiring connections to the control units. I did try and buy the power latch kit from Pauly last year but I think he’s a busy man. And I’m not sure if he received all my messages . I hope this helps and if you have any more questions I’ll try to help.

Back