Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Thank you @Robert and @Stannards , this is very useful.
Even though this thread is very detailed and I have read it many times, install might prove a challenge for me as I have never done any electrics on the car.
I will try the camera installation to see if I can manage this first.

Actually my car is LHD, bought in Germany and brought to Russia. The length of the loom should be sufficient. Shall I assume for LHD the wiring needs to stay on the left hand side?

@Stannards I have a few more q's on the power latch which I will add in the respective thread and hopefully you will be able to help me with this one.

Finally, the good news is that I have VCDS in my posession so theoretically everything is within my power.

Hi all.
I have another couple of questions -
1. The main cable loom from carsystems.pl has one white wire going from the 3 control unit connectors (see photo). What is the purpose of this white cable and where does it connect to?
IMG_20210106_223658.jpg

2. There is also a second smaller loom with 4 pin connector that came with the powered tailgate wiring. Same question - purpose and where does it connect to?
I think the Kufatec kit also has this separate loom according to the image on their website.
Photo:
IMG_20210111_232203.jpg

I installed the Autoease Kit, positive review, excellent quality product, very well packaged, everything needed for assembly including cup drill bit, only the power latching seems of lower quality but if finely adjusted it works well. It just takes a lot of patience to pass the wires into the grommets etc. I only had a doubt with the wire connection and the Chinese guys answered my email promptly. Product received at home within one week from the order.

I installed the Autoease Kit, positive review, excellent quality product, very well packaged, everything needed for assembly including cup drill bit, only the power latching seems of lower quality but if finely adjusted it works well. It just takes a lot of patience to pass the wires into the grommets etc. I only had a doubt with the wire connection and the Chinese guys answered my email promptly. Product received at home within one week from the order.
How did your route the power cables for the Struts into the Van ? In by the rear lights or in via the hinges ? Do you have a photo of where the cables enter the van, and I am having difficulty understanding where the cables rout into the van. Many thanks.

[QUOTE = "Proprietario T6, post: 349052, membro: 12930"]
Come hai instradato i cavi di alimentazione degli Struts nel furgone? Dalle luci posteriori o dai cardini? Hai una foto di dove entrano i cavi nel furgone e ho difficoltà a capire dove passano i cavi nel furgone. Grazie molto.
[/CITAZIONE]

The cables enter from above, you have to go through the tailgate with the cup supplied, then pass sideways to the rear window to rejoin (left / right) the control unit to be mounted in the center of the tailgate.
This photo was taken on the net, it is not of a T6, but it is the same as what you need to do.
download.jpg

[QUOTE = "Proprietario T6, post: 349052, membro: 12930"]
Come hai instradato i cavi di alimentazione degli Struts nel furgone? Dalle luci posteriori o dai cardini? Hai una foto di dove entrano i cavi nel furgone e ho difficoltà a capire dove passano i cavi nel furgone. Grazie molto.
[/CITAZIONE]

The cables enter from above, you have to go through the tailgate with the cup supplied, then pass sideways to the rear window to rejoin (left / right) the control unit to be mounted in the center of the tailgate.
This photo was taken on the net, it is not of a T6, but it is the same as what you need to do.
View attachment 102366
Ok thank you. Did you cut holes in your tailgate, as I don't have any there in my tailgate for the big rubber gromets ?

Ok thank you. Did you cut holes in your tailgate, as I don't have any there in my tailgate for the big rubber gromets ?
Of course you have to make the holes, nobody has them, use the tip that you will have supplied with the kit. To pass the wires from the tailgate to the passenger compartment, instead, use the existing bellows on the left side.

Of course you have to make the holes, nobody has them, use the tip that you will have supplied with the kit. To pass the wires from the tailgate to the passenger compartment, instead, use the existing bellows on the left side.
Ok, many thanks. That's as I thought then. It's just not clear in the instructions that you have to cut holes. They make no mention of cutting holes in the tailgate. I wanted to be sure before cutting any holes in body panels. Yes, there is a drill bit in the kit.

The Cable route makes sense though the existing bellows.

Is you tailgate sound deadened and with a wiper motor (i.e. heavy) and if so, do the powered struts have plenty of oomph to lift a heavy tailgate ?

Many thanks, Matt

Ok, many thanks. That's as I thought then. It's just not clear in the instructions that you have to cut holes. They make no mention of cutting holes in the tailgate. I wanted to be sure before cutting any holes in body panels. Yes, there is a drill bit in the kit.

The Cable route makes sense though the existing bellows.

Is you tailgate sound deadened and with a wiper motor (i.e. heavy) and if so, do the powered struts have plenty of oomph to lift a heavy tailgate ?

Many thanks, Matt

Mine is a Caravelle, it has windshield wiper, internal button release, soundproofing etc. but do not get too many problems that do not exist. :) Then, you will see that you will waste more time routing the cables inside the tailgate / passenger compartment rubber (with a lot of soap to slide it all) than making the holes.

Mine is a Caravelle, it has windshield wiper, internal button release, soundproofing etc. but do not get too many problems that do not exist. :) Then, you will see that you will waste more time routing the cables inside the tailgate / passenger compartment rubber (with a lot of soap to slide it all) than making the holes.
Ok. Many thanks, good to know before drilling holes for cables.

Hi guys,
I have read the thread and have just installed a kit from Autoease on a T6 MY2019.
Everything works well except that I dont get it to function from remote (original button on key).

At first I did not connect the green wire since it says that it can be skipped in the manual if using original key.
Then i tried install it to yellow/blue cable at the door as shown on the picture in the manual but without success :(
The car is flashing the hazard and lightens the headlights when using the key but nothing more.

Have someone got it to function?

Hi guys,
I have read the thread and have just installed a kit from Autoease on a T6 MY2019.
Everything works well except that I dont get it to function from remote (original button on key).

At first I did not connect the green wire since it says that it can be skipped in the manual if using original key.
Then i tried install it to yellow/blue cable at the door as shown on the picture in the manual but without success :(
The car is flashing the hazard and lightens the headlights when using the key but nothing more.

Hi guys,

Probably in your configuration the remote control only unlocks the lock but does not open it, in this case you have to connect the green wire, with that by pressing the remote control button 3 times to open and close the tailgate ;)

Probably in your configuration the remote control only unlocks the lock but does not open it, in this case you have to connect the green wire, with that by pressing the remote control button 3 times to open and close the tailgate ;)
Yes indeed I figured that out after awhile and it functions :)
Can recomennd the Autoease kit, works perfect and easy to install

Hello, Robert!
I set the door open button
trunk in the driver's door. When pressed, it only releases the shim, but the cover does not lift. Do you have BCM block encoding for the button to work properly?

Is you tailgate opening when you use your remote key fob?

Reactions: mmi
Back