Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Just to lower the tone a little a workmates Toyota Hybrid does.
Thanks for your feedback.
For me personally forum is a place for enthusiast to share their experience and knowledge and not marketplace for making business.
I will post detailed drawing of the brackets when I get back home next week:)
Its members with this attitude is 1 reason this forum is so great. Thanks

@Robert If you really want to show off, can you enable the opening by waving your foot under the bumper?

I work at Rolls-Royce and we've enabled this by a sensor on the rear bumper detecting the keysignal getting stronger, and then a proximity sensor under the bumper. The simple contol unit sends a CAN message to the BCM to open the boot. VW do a similar thing on the Tiguan, so could this be added?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjtoICW6sblAhUvzqYKHVi-BREQwqsBMAB6BAgHEAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJd5Wcx0Hy8&usg=AOvVaw07AP4rPzXpXs7Kex_EcJT0
Am I showing off :rofl::D:laugh:?
Generally speaking you would need KESSY onboard to retrofit OEM "foot opening".

I agree it is cool gadget, but practicality of this kind of feature is not really great. Imagine you are carring some stuff and you are going to load it in the back of your van. What is easier? More convenient?

1. Open your tailgate remotely from the significant distance by pressing the button on your key fob as you are on the move towards your vehicle?

2. Or approach your vehicle, stand behind it for a second, then wave with your foot under the bumper and then step back and then wait for your tailgate to open?

Reactions: mmi
@Robert Is there a reason the hinge bolt is so long? Does the rod support something?
I wont ever be in a position to do this mod but interested to know why.

@Robert Is there a reason the hinge bolt is so long? Does the rod support something?
Because of where the hinge is positioned the rod is used to guide the nut onto the thread.

Just to complement @Deaky 's reply.
There is a cavity with quite large hollow space and pretty small access opening so without these bolt extensions it would be impossible to even put the nuts on:thumbsup:

For me personally forum is a place for enthusiast to share their experience and knowledge and not marketplace for making business.

It is super. I will be very glad if you draw it

1 x Control Unit 7E0959107A 154,44 EUR or any similar i.e. 7N0959107G (whichever is cheaper)
2 x Electric Drive 7E5827851C 533,52 EUR
Total of €968 = £850

I have checked recent prices for second hand components. For example, control unit can be purchased for £16 and electric drive for £100. This makes the whole project possible within £500 mark!;)

• Wow
Reactions: mmi

it is necessary to adjust the holders or just buy holders 7E5827435B and 7E5827436B will be work ?

it is necessary to adjust the holders or just buy holders 7E5827435B and 7E5827436B will be work ?
If you want to keep your existing 7E0 tailgate and you are not switching to 7E5 tailgate then it is pointless to buy 7E5827435B & 7E5827436B bottom brackets. These are designed for use with 7E5 tailgate only. For 7E0 tailgate you have to make your own brackets.
I will post more details about my ones when I find some time to take them off, sorry for the delay.

I got motivated by one of the members here and eventually I have done the drawing of the bottom bracket:thumbsup:

Back