Retrofitting powered Tailgate

The video won't play for some reason. More curiosity than anything. If you're happy it's safe then why not if it makes things more useable

Hey Fish,

Im in the middle of another conversion. I've converted from a barn door to tailgate and added power lift and soft close. Not working yet but this one has the correct tailgate with extra room for rams.

Ill update when done.

Cheers

Edd
Volksfit

Any updates @Eddcameron?
Let me know if I can help.

Should I post the coding for this retrofit? Is there anybody interested?

Reactions: mmi
Hey Robert,

Yes that job is all done.
What coding do you have for the tailgate?
Good work on all your retrofits, really impressive.

Cheers

Edd

Did you replace the tailgate @Eddcameron or modify the existing?

Tailgate coding is very simple as it works with default coding/values. Then there is very crucial BCM coding that allows remote opening of the tailgate.
Actually I have posted this BCM coding here on this forum few months ago. Cradle of beer tokens to the first one who points it out;)

Reactions: mmi
If someone is wondering why hinges need to be changed please compare these two photos below.

Non electric tailgate
01.jpg

Electric tailgate
02.jpg
Basically pivot point has to be shifted towards the front of the vehicle and then tailgate can open towards the back only(obviously driven by electric rams).

Also hinges mounting bolts are very long
Screenshot_20191028-175339_Photos.jpg
and "special order" equipment had to be used:D
20191028_170753.jpg
so I have grabbed bicycle type 13mm socket and welded it together with M12 joiner:laugh::rofl:

@Robert
Great work, i'm happy to hear it is possible make this retrofit. I'm going to mount the electric closing tailgate on my T6 and now I'm buying the necessary parts and all I don't know is how to adjust the bracket
Should you have more detailed information how exactly customize bracket? Or do you want to sell customized brackets? :)

@Robert If you really want to show off, can you enable the opening by waving your foot under the bumper?

I work at Rolls-Royce and we've enabled this by a sensor on the rear bumper detecting the keysignal getting stronger, and then a proximity sensor under the bumper. The simple contol unit sends a CAN message to the BCM to open the boot. VW do a similar thing on the Tiguan, so could this be added?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=gJd5Wcx0Hy8&usg=AOvVaw07AP4rPzXpXs7Kex_EcJT0

I’m guessing the RR has some form of keyless entry though that doesn’t require a button press ??

The RR is the same as a BMW 7series and our system needs keyless entry system to work. I've no idea if VW's system does.

@Robert
Great work, i'm happy to hear it is possible make this retrofit. I'm going to mount the electric closing tailgate on my T6 and now I'm buying the necessary parts and all I don't know is how to adjust the bracket
Should you have more detailed information how exactly customize bracket? Or do you want to sell customized brackets? :)
Thanks for your feedback.
For me personally forum is a place for enthusiast to share their experience and knowledge and not marketplace for making business.
I will post detailed drawing of the brackets when I get back home next week:)

Back