adaptive cruise control issue

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All, my van saga continues, I believe the fwd facing camera is now calibrated and speed sign recognition ok However vw are saying there is a restricted view on teh Radar due to the aftermarket grille. So my lane assist and adaptive cruise control still faulty. Why would this happen if my van has been ok with this grille for over a year. Any ideas please?
VW also said aparently even painiting an original grille can send teh radar into this fault!!!
Any help appreciated.
Woodman :)

Can you post fault code scan from your van? VCDS ideally.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks for replying Robert, I dont know the code as the van is in at the dealership. When it left the converters in April it had a fault with reversing sensors, speed sign recognition, adaptive cruise control and lane assist issues. Reversing sensor was a damaged wire when the roof was installed, that was fixed. Today the speed sign recognition has been got working. However adaptive cruise and lane assist still not rectified. VW saying my gloss black grille maybe distorting the radar signal (its been on a year and worked fine) they also said therefore the radar probably affecting lane assist.
Now it gets interesting, I called them back to ask what lane assist issue it has, i.e. is it the "lane departure" or "Lane change assist". I believe its the lane departure, which I informed them is also off the front camera and not the radar system. Therefore queried if the speed sign recognition is working, therefore the camera working, why is it not working for lane assist?
VW are almost insistent that the different grille thickness of the after market is the problem. But dont seem to understand it has been fine for a year no issues???

I have the original grille which I can see may have to go back on to either prove their theory right or wrong. Unless of course for the eight weeks it was in being converted Incy Wincey spider decided to take residence between the gloss black grille and the radar sensor???? I havent asked vw to look at that aspect yet.

As you can imagine I am getting a tad pissed off with having the van converted now. It all worked fine in March!

Update its going really well he says sarcastically, the camera appears to be working now as it is reading speed signs. However the acc and lane assist not working still. VW blamed the after market gloss black grille. Therefore I came home and installed my original....made sweet Fanny Adams difference. Now we think the code lost may relate to the tow bar installation, not factory but was part of my original purchase. Which means, I guess, the software my van left the factory with is different to what it was pre conversion as the towbar was added the week I received it. So now with original suspension, original grille, original wheels with tpms valves none of the mods are to blame for it leaving the conversion co. with faults. Now VW have sorted the camera, the converters are confident they can program the acc, lane assist and if necessary the tow bar to hopefully bring it all back to life.
Fingers crossed but not going to hold my breath. :mad:

Reactions: CAB
Hi Forum followers, unfortunately as I write this I feel I am slipping into depression. I really am apealling for help or advice please. Needless to say my van is still not fixed. The latest events include, a return trip to the converters where apparently my tow bar coding was wrong and only two of allegedly five modules coded. I was then told all that needs to happen is a return trip to a VW dealership to re-activate my sensors on ODIS. That was booked for yesterday. Between the tow bar re coding and yesterday, I used a trailer.......I know what you're thinking.....yes new faults with the towbar in use, trailer side assist / rear traffic alert not available. Once againg a call to converters assures me the re activation will fix all these issues.
Well, leading up to yesterday after this 3 month saga, I started to get stomach cramps, headaches and generally no motivation to do anything. All I could think about was the hope of the van being fixed yesterday by a good VW van centre.
Van went in yesterday, I parted with 25 quid to insure a skip of a courtesy van. Later that day was told front assist seemed to be ok, but lane departure not sorted. so van stayed overnight. I ring lunchtime today and was told it had been connected to VW all night and the software completely upgraded but still issues exist. I was told my front camera was seemingly hot and therefore VW technical consulted and they only commented that the towbar was not factory and said could be causing issues. I explained tow bar fitted as part of original purchase through VW dealership and worked absolutely fine from the day it was installed and coded. I was shocked when all VW technical could say was they cannot do anything until the van was back to completely standard (now not just the after market grille and B 14s, 20 inch wheels but completely standard.
OH so how do we put the roof back in??
. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I happily pointed out all the modified vans in the dealerships yard being worked on and explained it worked for a year with my lowered suspension, after market grilles etc etc so politely said I disagree:confused:
I did ask if they had any other cameras on vans to see what temp they run at but had no joy......everyone seems to have shut up about the hot camera!!! Even when I explained they got the speed sign recognition working on its last visit to them. Which worked up to the point I dropped it in yesterday.
Apparently radar calibrates in tollerance but wont activate.
Reluctantly went and got my van back,
Spoke to the converters as am now at my witts end. I explained I retired, sunk now 87k into this van and it has a bloody fault rendering it in my opinion unsaleable. With no end in sight.
I am an engineer by trade and follow logic. I do wonder if everyone is looking for a software issue and possibly missing a hardware problem. Now I dont know much about CAN bus wiring and systems. However I do know that one core can perform multiple operations. Heres the tricky bit, roll back the clock 3 months to April / early may; first issue to get resolved was reversing sensors. This was a cable that had been in contact with a sharp edge when the roof was being installed and insulation cut (apparently no conductors damaged) :confused:. No one has said if a short occurred, I dont know what colour core it was, and after it was fixed and the reversing sensors worked. Today I asked how the cable was repaired, and kindly was told it was cut, heat shrink slid on, then re joined and the heat shrink heated to re-insulate it. I dont know how it was re-joined (solder; crimps etc ???) My meager brain tells me that maybe there is a lot more focus needed on the loom than it's getting.
NOW MY PLEA
Please can anyone tell me if any changes in the resistance of the loom could cause these type issues?
ACC unavailable; Lane assist unavailable; speed sign recognition not working,
Is there anyone out there who might be able to test my loom to see if there are any other faults the vcds or odis are not finding.
I just do not know where to go, the converters are not owning the problem, I dont want to sue or go to court but fear I may have to.

I am getting very depressed over all this and wish I had not converted my van. I just hope there is someone on this forum who may be able to help.

Thank You

Thanks Robert, I will have to try and get it connected and take photos of the screens, I dont have vcds I was told there are no fault codes which is worrying me no end.

Thanks Robert, I will have to try and get it connected and take photos of the screens, I dont have vcds I was told there are no fault codes which is worrying me no end.
Please let us know your approximate location and I am sure there is someone local who could do a full VCDS AUTOSCAN for you.

Reactions: mmi
No one can really offer anything worthwhile remotely as it would just be best guesses, if it were my van i think i would take it to a good independent garage or even a retrofitter type person who can code/calibrate etc, someone with ODIS will be able to SVM the vehicle and return things to factory standard and also recode anything required properly like the towbar

I think there comes a time where you have to forget about the warranty and the hope of getting it repaired for free and just pay someone to do it properly and even if they cant do it at least you can have a proper conversation with them about !

Paul is right with what he has said above.

But also have you been to another dealer. We are very lucky that our local dealer is really on the ball. We often have customers out of area to us or to them to sort issues.

Thanks Gents, not really going down the vw Warranty route as the converters are currently financing things but would have hoped a vw van centre could have homed in on where the fault stems from. Think API are next and last hope

Just thinking out loud :
The cable damage is the smoking gun here, if it were me, I would want to have the headlining removed along the cable route and every inch checked for other damage, pinching etc. an intermittent fault can cause all sorts of random faults.

Back