Speed limiter option - on which cruise controls?

magic_mike

Hello all - my first post, I'm a wannabe owner at this point, but this forum has been super helpful for research as I figure out what spec I should look for, what can be retrofit, etc.

One feature I really really want (like the Spice Girls) is a speed limiter - my cars have had this for the past 10+ years, I retrofit it to my Yaris (it's in the ECU so just needed the MFSW button), and it saves my licence and stress in e.g. average speed camera zones - just set the max speed and it won't let you go over it regardless what you do to the throttle pedal.

Which (if any) T6s have this feature (or can have it retrofit)? I know other VAG vehicles do as I've rented Golfs with a speed limiter as part of cruise control.

From what I can tell it is not on the standard (non adaptive) cruise control on T6s, nor comes in any retrofit I've seen? (as there's no button to switch between standard and limiter modes on the stalk or MFSW)
Is there a speed limiter option on adaptive cruise control (ACC) T6s?

Many thanks!

Nope, it’s not an option on ACC. There is an audible warning you can set on the dash but it won’t limit your speed

I’m sure on my T6.1 there is a speed limiter, it’s either ACC or Speed limiter in the settings. It does limit your speed unless you press down on the accelerator quiet hard then it over rides the limiter.

I’m sure on my T6.1 there is a speed limiter, it’s either ACC or Speed limiter in the settings. It does limit your speed unless you press down on the accelerator quiet hard then it over rides the limiter.
That's the ACC which isn't quite what the OP wants, but will be as close as he can get.

Thanks all for the responses - I can live with something that limits the speed unless I put the foot to the floor, I'm just looking to avoid accidentally creeping over the limit especially in average speed camera zones which are proliferating like flies round here.

So as I understand it, I think:

T6 - no speed limiter on either standard cruise or ACC, speed warning available on the dash
T6.1 - speed limiter on ACC

Thanks all!

Surely any form of cruise control will limit you to your set speed as long as you don't press the throttle.

ACC works perfectly for this, especially with the DSG gearbox.

Surely any form of cruise control will limit you to your set speed as long as you don't press the throttle.

ACC works perfectly for this, especially with the DSG gearbox.
Sort of, until you touch the brakes & the cruise/ACC will cancel & will stay off until re-engaged.

You shouldn't need to brake with ACC. With basic cruise, just press RESUME when the road is clear.

You shouldn't need to brake with ACC. With basic cruise, just press RESUME when the road is clear.
If ACC brings you to a complete stop, at a junction or lights etc. It will ask you to apply the brakes & disengages. Not much good around town or in slow traffic. The OP is wanting a system where he can set a maximum speed & then drive the van normally. The vehicle won’t exceed the set speed regardless of what you do with the accelerator.

You can borrow my wife if you want, she makes me aware of every limit and my current speed.
I have one of those too. Should never have done the digital speed notification mod to the dash.

I’ve got a 180ps, in the years I’ve had it I can’t say it’s ever made me feel like Ayrton Senna. I don’t ever expect to get excited by driving a commercial van.
Sounds like you need some alternative adrenaline inducing factor in your life.

I have one of those too. Should never have done the digital speed notification mod to the dash.

Ha - in my Yaris the satnav has an (optional) nagging voice that goes off if you go over the speed limit, it's like the wife is always with me :)

Thanks all for the tips and thoughts - as @Salty Spuds said the thing I like about speed limter vs ACC is you drive normally and can focus on the road not the speedo. No points in 30 years of driving so far...

I don't know about the Transporter, but our Tig will set its speed limiter using the road sign recognition when using ACC. I don't know if it can read motorway gantry signs, but it certainly works on A and B roads with 'normal' roadside signage. Obviously this can be overridden using the pedals.

I'm not sure I would want to not be able to exceed a set speed tho'. On one occasion on the motorway there was a car in front of me in lane 3 weaving about. He drifted onto the central gravel, got into a tank slapper then bounced off the barrier before spinning across lanes 2 and 1. As soon as he speared off left, I accelerated through the gap he'd left and buggered off. The car that was along side me in lane 2 swerved to avoid him and hit the car that had been following me.

Last edited:
If you push the throttle pedal past the ‘detent’ it overrides the speed limiter

Back