Price of diesel in your area?

As I understand it, you are right in that diesel is simpler and thus cheaper to refine, and diesel used to be cheaper than petrol many years ago, but since diesel was discovered to be more harmful when burned, the tax levied against it's sale is higher.

That's my understanding at least.
But there are some retail outlets that are now selling diesel cheaper than petrol now!

As I understand it, you are right in that diesel is simpler and thus cheaper to refine, and diesel used to be cheaper than petrol many years ago, but since diesel was discovered to be more harmful when burned, the tax levied against it's sale is higher.

That's my understanding at least.

I think that the UK imports a lot of diesel, and exports UK made diesel which I guess will affect pricing.

But there are some retail outlets that are now selling diesel cheaper than petrol now!
That could be down to volume of sales. The little garage that I referred to sells way more diesel than petrol. Diesel makes way more sense out in the sticks, so people will be sticking with their diesel vehicles until the wells run dry.

£1.73.9 Shell V-power for the van.
£1.57.9 Sainsbury's cheapo for the daily commuter Smart Car.
Both in Brizzle.

That could be down to volume of sales. The little garage that I referred to sells way more diesel than petrol. Diesel makes way more sense out in the sticks, so people will be sticking with their diesel vehicles until the wells run dry.
I agree. I think the push to diesel in the late 90s, early 00s as it was much more economical per mile, is still showing residuals, as the older diesel fleet vehicles still trickle down the owner scale. We should see a drop off pretty soon though as most car makers no longer offer diesels as an option.

Its a shame a filter can't be created to trap poisonous emissions, in the same way we use air filter for the input, even if it was a user serviceable item you popped in once a month. You could easily make changing it for a new one a requirement for the ECU to allow the engine to run, the same was we get stung for OEM printer cartridges.

Prices dropped near me this week, Partney Roundabout & Ulceby Cross in Lincs
Unleaded £139.9
Diesel £135.9

First time here that diesel is cheaper than unleaded

It's mad how there are two refinery's in Immingham and it is 145.9 here but an hour and a half away its 10p less.

Some low prices on here for diesel. My lads looked at Costco in Liverpool and it's £1.38 I think he said, supermarkets are around £1.44 . Petrol only 3p cheaper than supermarkets at £1.34.

It seems that Shropshire has some of the lowest prices. It's a shame that my new car is so much more economical than the van, as I can't take advantage of the lower prices as often.

Back