How to fill diesel tank for heat/cooking in passenger side at filling station which is opposite side of main fuel tank cap on van?

QPiepelr65

Ford Transit Connect
Initially it was not screwed down so I just lifted it out of the passenger footwell and moved it round to the side where the main tank port is.

I did think I could make it demountable again however this is not really good since I would have to constantly be pulling the fuel pipe connector on and off. Unless there was a way to make the fuel pipe unclippable without degrading its integrity but I can imagine even if such a thing were doable some diesel drips would leak out and diesel stink and is a mare to clean up.

Last time I tried to angle the van in such a way I might be able to reach both the passenger well and the other side of the van where the main tank is but alas the pump hose was too short.

I have ended up having to fill one side and move the van to another pump. This is rather cumbersome and causes unnecessary confusion for the attendants where I pay. Not a big deal at my local but I could see in places I don't have a rapport with them they may think I was driving off if I didn't first brief them as to what I wanted to do. Regardless it is an awkward step I wish to do away with.

Of course I can buy a separate fuel can to fill which is what I will do if there are no better suggestions but since I am in such a small van (transit connect) space is seriously limited and I was thinking that when I have used it to fill from the pump and then fill the passenger side tank then storing it will just be wasted space. I will do that if there are no better suggestions but prefer to avoid.

So are there any other ideas how I can fill that the other tank without the curfuffle and also using minimum of space in the van?

Also btw passenger footwell is the best place for it. Driver side footwell is a no no as all my electrics are right behind it on the wall side behind the bed. I figured diesel tank next to electrics = bad combo. Besides there is more room over on the passenger side, since i took out the seat and made a cabinet for storage and the tank goes to the front.

I also know that tapping the main tank is an option but don't really want to 'go there' as lowering the main tank does not sound appealing and have no intention of hiring someone to do it.

You've identified the main three options:

1. move the van & refill
2. Fill a separate fuel container & then refill
3. Do it properly and tap the main tank.

I can't think of another way?

Unless you can crawl in the driver door with the hose and refill from the inside, but you really don't want to be doing that.

In any case, heating and cooking, how much do you use? Have you had to refill often?

You don't like option 1. You wont do option 3. Leaves option 2. Solved.

Reactions: Bav
4. Find a filling station that has fill each side from long hoses.
5. Buy a new Transporter and tap into the special nipple on the fuel pump specifically for this purpose.

Option 4a... Make two trips. When you know your heating / cooking tank is nearing empty go to pump and fill. When you know you are running low on main tank of fuel go and fill...

Option 4b... park centrally between 2 banks of pumps and use two hoses - one from each side. (oh, how popular you'll be with the growing queue behind you!)

Back