Price of diesel in your area?

Captain Mainwaring

T6 Guru
133.9p per litre! I know that prices do go up and down a bit but they are pretty stable at the moment. It really hacks me off me that our local filling station, BP in Aviemore, are just taking the p***. The next nearest garage which is a small independent are 128.9p, and BP 30 miles up the road in Inverness is 127.9p. Even on the Isle of Harris last week it was under 130p!

Despite the price there is often a queue. I guess that any business will charge what they think they can get away with, but this is ridiculous and really punishes the locals

What does everybody else pay locally? I’m not including supermarkets which are always cheaper.

1.45 at Coleshill Shell filling station last week, it was V-Power though. Regular there is 1.33.

When it last peaked about 6 years ago, I paid 1.36 at waitrose, our average around here is creeping up to 1.27

When it last peaked about 6 years ago, I paid 1.36 at waitrose, our average around here is creeping up to 1.27

How have I never seen a fuel station at Waitrose:eek:. I need one in my life.

I bet the staff know everything fuel related and the best thing to have with your fuel, along with recommendations on how to get the best out of your fuel. Love it.

Here in Spain I use BP ultimate diesel currently €1.28 / £1.01 - it has been lower. I know it's not UK prices but shows the markup.

As pointed out: difference in duty/tax

Last edited:
some of it must be mark up - they all get charged the same tax...
I believe some of the difference is due to the distance from the refinery to the fuel station - obviously if the fuel station is closer to a refinery the transport costs are reduced compared to a fuel station that is hundreds of miles away from a refinery. Fuel is a heavy product that is costly to transport. That's what I've previously been told, might be nonsense but it seemed logical to me! :slow rofl:

As Dave D said distance but also competition in area, amount of custom (turnover), bulk purchasing power and supermarkets using cheap fuel to pull customers into the store.
Plus the BP snobbery.

How have I never seen a fuel station at Waitrose:eek:. I need one in my life.

I bet the staff know everything fuel related and the best thing to have with your fuel, along with recommendations on how to get the best out of your fuel. Love it.

I only use Waitrose for my fuel. It's worth it just for the better class of clientele but the complimentary olives at the pump is the clincher.

Back