Very common on cheap Chinese electronics....especially car usb Chargers.

They emit a lot of EMI/RFI. Which interferes with any rf kit and audio kit in your motor.

Just bin it and buy a decent one.

Look out online at the likes of Amazon for brands like ANKER or RavPower

Last edited:
Very common on cheap Chinese electronics....especially car usb Chargers.

They emit a lot of RFI. Which interferes with any rf kit and audio kit in your motor.

Just bin it and buy a decent one.

Look out online at the likes of Amazon for brands like.

ANKER
Cheap Chinese?? I talking about my genuine fitted 12v porta (cigarette lighter)

My phone lead is genuine Samsung and my sat nav a Tom Tom?

Yes.

But about the usb bit.

Who makes that bit.?

Got a pic?

Here's one of mine...

20180905_081755.jpg

If you look at thread I started poor DAB signal you will see I have just test fitted a magnetic roof aerial out through the door and it works perfect. Mine was bad before but the tom Tom or phone charger never made a difference but the tom tom is plugged into the top outlet and is on all the time I am driving .I am sure the DAB signal is not as bad as people make out because are year old mini works all the time and they even gave us a demo of it parked in the show room when we collected it . My van wouldn’t work in the car park outside . For the cost of £10 for the aerial from halford and ten minutes to plug it into the back of the unit you get a good idea of the improvement .
Did another 60 miles today and it never went off once.

I went through all of this when I first got my van. I tried ferrite coils, and various different brand cables. Nothing changed until I had a Shark Fin aerial fitted, and I haven't had a problem since.

Has anyone got a photo of which coax connector to connect to inside the driver door to fit an after market antenna?

Thanks

Alan

+1 for Anker

At the fun end, I too would recommend an aftermarket antenna.

Not dissing your gear but I’m surprised Tom Tom still exist, so for sure the charging cables are the cheapest available. Does your Samsung have fast charging because that’s sure to emit some bonus EMI/RFI. You could try shielded usb cables but...

At the business end if your 12v supply is a retro fit I would be keen to trace the cable routing ensuring a wide birth is given to anything audio... especially the head unit itself and any associated wiring.

(As for BMW (mini) I found even the standard DAB radio to be ‘excellent’ compared to VW’s ‘decent’ DAB reception)

OK so I can get a new USB charging socket I kind of guessed it was something like that as it works unplugged. Now the Dab signal isn't great but I don't want an external aerial so I'll have to live with it. Thanks for your input guys.

My DAB doesn't work. I've had a quick look at my mirror and the casing came off easily so it looks like its taken a whack at some point. I think my best option is an upgraded antenna. I've had BMW's for years (still do) and I drive all over the county. The worst place I've found for DAB is the village I live in.

I like fitting OEM upgrades to my van because of the quality, but the antenna is far to expensive.

Genuine VW DAB Antenna Upgrade | Advanced In-Car

Can someone post a link to an external roof mounted antenna which they have tried and knows works.

My DAB doesn't work. I've had a quick look at my mirror and the casing came off easily so it looks like its taken a whack at some point. I think my best option is an upgraded antenna. I've had BMW's for years (still do) and I drive all over the county. The worst place I've found for DAB is the village I live in.

I like fitting OEM upgrades to my van because of the quality, but the antenna is far to expensive.

Genuine VW DAB Antenna Upgrade | Advanced In-Car

Can someone post a link to an external roof mounted antenna which they have tried and knows works.

£240 .... ouch.

The antennae is contained in the shark fin. I got it from Skipton Audio, and its an Italian make.

Back