Paint Blisters

A bittersweet afternoon then..

I can fully appreciate the problem you face from here, but it IS a positive outcome that you've made the effort to determine the cause. And for that, many should be thankful.

Wow not great reading this post. I have a few of these blisters, but my van is just over 3 years old and out of warranty what options does that leave me?
I believe that the paint warranty extends beyond the mechanical warranty. @Tourershine will undoubtedly know the answer.

I believe that the paint warranty extends beyond the mechanical warranty. @Tourershine will undoubtedly know the answer.

I think it's 10 years anti-corrosion.
Might be worth looking @Skyliner33 because the cost for my work by VW might easily go over several thousand pounds at just over £100 an hour.

You will need to be sure it's the original paint, because the inspector will know if it's not factory, and its had a repair.

I think it's 10 years anti-corrosion.
Might be worth looking @Skyliner33 because the cost for my work by VW might easily go over several thousand pounds at just over £100 an hour.

You will need to be sure it's the original paint, because the inspector will know if it's not factory, and its had a repair.
Thanks, I might look into this. Its not just one panel, there are a few blisters on both sides, so unless its had pretty much a full respray (which I doubt) I'm sure it must be original.
Are you up to the meet on Monday, could have a chat and you could have a look. Cheers.

Having the van repainted will have a detrimental effect on the future value of the van.

Have you thought about asking VW for a substantial discount on a replacememt van?

Good review and update.. but what a dilemma, for resale of the vehicle, I'd the inspection logged with VW now?. If you don't proceed then will this 'history' effect a valuation?.
Is the hassle worth it, is, like you say a personal choice. Tough1.

Being known, selling the van to buy another(Grey) then you could be in the same situation 24month down the line..especially as it obviously hasn't been dealt with or likely to change.

Yeah it's a head scratcher.
I'm waiting on the report, and what VW offers to do about the issue before I make my decision.

As for joining team Grey @Fish, we both know that won't happen. Yeah if I do change, it will be a colour change, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Indium Grey, as your team proves, but it's not for me. I still think Black is the most striking colour when it's detailed, but I'm getting past the point where I can keep on top of this colour time wise.

Yeah it's a head scratcher.
I'm waiting on the report, and what VW offers to do about the issue before I make my decision.

As for joining team Grey @Fish, we both know that won't happen. Yeah if I do change, it will be a colour change, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Indium Grey, as your team proves, but it's not for me. I still think Black is the most striking colour when it's detailed, but I'm getting past the point where I can keep on top of this colour time wise.
I can see a new member of Pure Grey on the horizon:whistle:

I can see a new member of Pure Grey on the horizon:whistle:

Way ahead of you, but not available in Highline spec and my dealer warned me that to spec up a lower end T6 to a Highline spec will drop in value a lot faster than just buying a Highline.

I've owned and maintained Black vans for years now, but if the opportunity arises, I'm moving teams. (Although I did say I wouldn't buy Black after my last one, but bottled out at the last minute and stuck with what I love)

Way ahead of you, but not available in Highline spec and my dealer warned me that to spec up a lower end T6 to a Highline spec will drop in value a lot faster than just buying a Highline.

I've owned and maintained Black vans for years now, but if the opportunity arises, I'm moving teams. (Although I did say I wouldn't buy Black after my last one, but bottled out at the last minute and stuck with what I love)
Its strange why they don't spread the colours across the range of vans

Well my rusty old T6 chums, the delightful chap from PVWI has been, he's inspected, and he's concluded....

As I said all along, corrosion from the inside out, not due to 'outside influences' but officially due to a known issue called zinc inclusion, when I say known, I mean by Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda. Googling Zinc Inclusion brings up a plethora of information.

Audi don't argue the case and just fix it, Skoda put up a small fight to try and wriggle out of it, but VW reject every claim unless it's officially inspected, at the owners cost (at that point, most owners just back down and vanish) Then it's a warranty claim approved, with the cost of the inspection refunded by VW (£180)

The chap from PVWI has 40 years of paint technology and experience under his belt, and says it's down to the zinc coating process, and the length of time the coat takes to run down the deeper panels. This is then washed off as part of it's process, but tiny zinc particles stay attached to the panel at the lower parts. This is then painted with a water based paint, which feeds the zinc particle, causing it to swell in size, and create the blisters. These then pop after so long, and the panel ends up rusted through. He found contamination on both sliding doors, both rear quarters, and 1 of the drivers door. The suggestion was both sides needed fully repainting after the actual corrosion is rectified.
This might seem like a positive outcome, but the thought of the hassle I now have to go through with having pretty much most of my van painted is not one i'm looking forward to. Not knowing if the job will be done right, if I can see they've painted it, if they cause issues elsewhere, loosing my purpose built work van for a length of time when i'm stacked out with work, and several other reasons for sleepless nights worrying. I cannot leave the issue, because a couple of the blisters are now rust scabs like we used to see on older vehicles. Then there's the worry if they come back etc etc.

Anyway. PWVI are easy to deal with, come to you, and for those that want to push this issue further, it's £180 and a no brainer if you intend on keeping your T6.
Great news ....wish he could look at my issues as well .....seems a long drive away....I couldn't cope getting my van painted would never be happy !

Also like you say all great getting it done but without your van setup you are lost day to day on jobs .........book a holiday and book your van in ?!

I'm a Pure Grey fan too, can't understand why they won't do it in all models, I'm always seeing it on all the VAG cars. There's someone on here with a Pure Grey and all black trim and it looks awesome.

Great news ....wish he could look at my issues as well .....seems a long drive away....I couldn't cope getting my van painted would never be happy !

Also like you say all great getting it done but without your van setup you are lost day to day on jobs .........book a holiday and book your van in ?!

I hear what you're saying, but I'm so reluctant to let VW get away with this just because of the worry they won't do the job properly. We've all seen the Merc Sprinter and Vitos on the road, covered in rust, looking like piles of junk. I just cannot bare the thought of mine looking like that in a couple more years, because what started as pin head blisters, are now the size of 5p coins, in only 16 months.
I need to see what VW come back with as suggestions, but currently I've not owned my T6 long enough to justify the cost to change, even though I'm nearly at 50000 miles.
Maybe this might be a way to get them to help out if I want to replace the current van.

How wide spread does anybody think this issue is?

Does anybody know the legal remedy to force the issue, especially with an independent professional report?

Would the small claims court entertain this?

If the issue is large enough does a dedicated facebook page help to gather evidence that it is manufacturing defect?

I know motoring Journalists like "Honest John" / What car etc can often get a quick remedy.

Can citizens advice help at all?

I flipping hate Multinational companies who do not have an ounce of decency in their souls. Makes me wonder if this was in the USA with proper customer protection laws if a manufacturer would be a little more afraid of a class action in these situations.

Thinking how corrupt the EU is especially protecting large German/EU companies who lobby so hard in Brussels...........really pi55es me off.

Get VW to respray to the one and only colour that’s going to appreciate due to its rarity,... BLACKBERRY. Offset any future losses that way;)
In all seriousness though, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

I wish i'd of examined your paint now :mad:

That's why you kept me talking for so long, so I lost the will to live :whistle:

Looks like I'm wrong about the big Germany Car companies not getting spanked enough!!!
The EU needs cash, they are running out:)

Germany’s car giants could be hit with multi-billion-euro fines after EU regulators said they colluded to block the development and introduction of clean air technology.

The European Commission has told BMW, Mercedes-Benz owner Daimler and Volkswagen Group that it believes they worked together to delay systems to reduce emissions from petrol and diesel cars.

The development risks a fresh scandal for the automotive industry, which was rocked in 2015 when VW was found to have fitted “defeat devices” to 11m diesel cars worldwide allowing them to cheat pollution controls.

Issuing a “preliminary view” two years after dawn raids on the car makers kicked off the investigation, EC regulators said they “participated in a collusive scheme, in breach of competition rules to limit the roll-out and development of emission cleaning technology”.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

Collusion took place between 2006 and 2014 within technical meetings between the “circle of five” - BMW, Daimler and VW, including its Audi and Porsche divisions - according to the Commission.

Margrethe Vestager, the competition commissioner, said: “Companies can co-operate in many ways to improve the quality of their products. However, EU competition rules do not allow them to collude on exactly the opposite: not to improve their products, not to compete on quality.

“We are concerned that this is what happened and that Daimler, VW and BMW may have broken EU competition rules.

QNjv4BqpJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg
EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager says drivers may have been denied the chance to buy low-emission cars CREDIT: EPA
“As a result, European consumers may have been denied the opportunity to buy cars with the best available technology.”

Regulators are concentrating their investigation on selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems, which reduce the amount of nitrogen oxide pumped out by diesel cars by injecting does of urea - also known as AdBlue - into the exhaust.

The Commission believes the car companies “co-ordinated their AdBlue dosing strategies, AdBlue tank size and refill ranges between 2006 and 2014 with the common understanding that they thereby limited AdBlue-consumption and exhaust gas cleaning effectiveness”.

It is also looking into whether the car makers worked together to avoid or delay introducing “Otto” particle filters that cut down on harmful particle emissions from exhaust gases of petrol cars.

The decision came in a “statement of objections” that the car companies can now object to. If the EC then finds enough evidence to prove a breach of the rules, the car companies could be fined up to a tenth of their annual global revenues.

VW Group - the largest of the three companies involved - had global sales of €236bn last year, while BMW had €86bn.

Daimler tipped off the Commission to potential collusion, and is likely to escape a financial penalty under the regulator’s whistleblower policy.

Professor David Bailey, an automotive industry expert at Aston University, said that the companies may have worked together having committed to conventional engine designs.

QNjv4BqwRnwQ0KgCqCTKamrqQKaYt_a8OgApLXepLNPkWlhF58.jpg
BMW is one of the companies which could be if it is found to have breached EU rules CREDIT: REUTERS
“All three manufacturers were locked in to petrol and diesel engines and saw them as a way of hitting emissions targets,” he said.

“The thinking behind working together could have been that none of them wanted to spend the huge amounts that would be needed to develop electric drive systems when they were so invested in internal combustion power.”

VW Group has committed to spending €44bn into an “electric car offensive” in the wake of the emissions scandal as it rushes to catch up with other manufacturers.

BMW said it “regarded the proceedings as an attempt to equate permissible coordination of industry positions regarding the regulatory framework with unlawful cartel agreements”.

VW said it would “examine the complaints and issue a statement after evaluating the investigation file as part of its co-operation”.

Daimler said it had been co-operating extensively with the Commission and therefore did not expect to be fined.

I was told by my dealer mine would be sorted one way or another. That was a couple of months ago....not heard anything since. Rang a couple of days ago.....he'd had to pop out (yeh right!) and didn't return my call.....funny thing that! I'm not done with this....if there's one thing I can't stand, it's being mugged off. At the very least, I'll make the dealer/body shop manager feel very uncomfortable about this! Might even have a banner made up and park outside just for the hell of it.....I'm retired....I can stay there all day every day if I feel that way inclined! Shame on VW.....w*nkers!

Back