Paint Blisters

Interesting post @Tourershine. I couple of weeks ago I called into VW commercial in Preston. Spoke to the paint warranty person. He has asked me to take some photos and email them. I took some with my phone and emailed them to him. He replied that they were not clear enough, and asked if I could get some better ones. So I got my camera out and took some more, however I've not sent them yeat as the file sizes are too big to email. As he has just returned from 2 weeks holiday I am thinking of goint back to Preston some time this week, maybe Saturday to take the SD card so he can copy them, and if not good enough take some more.
However reading the above I am wondering if its worth the hassle and might as well look into getting them fixed on my own. Or if they are just left how much worse will they get? To me I'm thinking that they are getting worse, but that could also be because I am noticing them a lot more as I work on improving the finish of the paint.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm taking a stab at this, but the photo clarity issue is a delaying tactic within the warranty department. They rejected my photos twice, and then the dealers own photos once, claiming they weren't clear enough, when they were perfectly clear.
They initially messed up by rejecting the claim and quoting the standard 'outside influences' patter after the 1st set of photos, to then say several days later that the images weren't clear enough. When I questioned how they'd rejected the claim on the evidence of the images, that they apparently couldn't see clear enough, it was met with silence and confusion. :confused:

This whole debacle is designed to be as difficult as possible, knowing that many people will just give up the fight (even more so when people are asked to pay £180 out of their own pockets for the inspection)
I still stand by my choice to uphold this complaint, simply because it's just not good enough for something to corrode this fast, but would I bother going through all this hassle again?? Maybe not.

To put some context with this, these two images are taken just now, with the van in a dusty state. The blister has gone from a pencil tip size a few pages of this thread back, to around the size of a 5 pence piece. The rust scab on the sliding door is now around 4x the size it was when I initially took the photos.

20190514_202212.jpg 20190514_202427.jpg

These are a few of the second set of pics I took (I do believe that the original photos might not have been good enough and not a delaying tactic):

DSC_4399.JPG

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 20.53.20.png

Last edited:
This thread goes straight to the underlaying synercism that is more and more underlaying huge International Organisations/Companies and their relationships with their customers and stake holders.

There are more and more shyster's purporting to value their customers, but when shove comes to push they reveal themselves as weaselly worded sharks, who will do anything to avoid their moral/contractural/statutory responsibilities and obilgations.

I cannot believe that it is that difficult to design your body/shell/floorpan treatment processes, to reduce this kind of issue to a near zero likelyhood. Unless you allow accountant types to interfere with the process until it is no longer fit for purpose.

I find this thread incredably saddening, and I'm left wondering if companies such as Toyota/Honda and properably Hyundai/Kia should have my hard earned cash in the future:mad::devil:

The T6 doesn't make it to the USA, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened there, if such an issue would have occurred.

My body shop manager has gone from "yup.....we'll get this sorted for you!" to doing a passable impression of Lord Lucan! Give me strength....VW really are a bloody disgrace! I can feel my blood pressure rising!

@Tourershine with the knowledge of these inclusions... are the potentially all over or just lower half.. intend on Half re-spray..

@Tourershine with the knowledge of these inclusions... are the potentially all over or just lower half.. intend on Half re-spray..

The way the inspector explained it was this: The anti-corrosion protection is either sprayed on, or the panels are dunked in a bath of the fluid. This is then left on for a set time, and then washed off. He claimed that as the fluid runs off the panels, it sometimes crystallises as it starts to dry, and the wash off process is meant to remove this, but as we now know, this doesn't always happen and sometimes the tiny grains get stuck on the panels.
This is then painted with the colour, which is now a water based paint, and it's the paint that feeds these tiny crystals, causing them to grow into what we can see as corrosion. He mentioned that the Transporter suffers simply because the panels are so big, and this takes longer for the fluids to run off. He also mentioned a Skoda Yeti as an equivalent culprit to the Transporter, because of it's deep panels.
To answer your question, he said it only effects the lower half of a panel.

On the same subject, I ironically had a call from VW Leicester's bodyshop manager this afternoon, and he's had everything approved and VW have agreed to fix all 4 panels, including the separate sliding door rail cover problem. I made the decision to give VW Leicester the benefit of the doubt, and they are taking in my van next Thursday, where they will have it for 2 weeks whilst i'm on holiday. He assures me that I will be happy with the finished job, and I obviously have the right to reject it if not, but he said not to worry.

I came to the conclusion some considerable time ago, that the ghosts of many many accountants........ will forever haunt my T6. Amen.

The irony in my situation is if they'd of just excepted the issue in the first place and honoured the warranty, they wouldn't of had the extra bill for the independent report.

The irony in my situation is if they'd of just excepted the issue in the first place and honoured the warranty, they wouldn't of had the extra bill for the independent report.
Just the way big companies seem to do it. We moved house a few years ago with Whites removals and they put a great big hole in the lino, two quotes came in about £200 for new lino. We had solicitors letters from them, phonecalls from solicitors arguing what % they had to pay. Must have cost a fortune in legal costs just for the sake of £200. Do not understand it :(
Fingers crossed VW Leicester get you sorted satisfactorily. Enjoy your holiday.

This is interesting in that I find it hard to understand how a dealer, or anyone for that matter, can determine from an inspection the root cause of a blister. Even if there is a small amount of paint missing in the middle, that isn't conclusive proof that it started from a chip. That bit could have split and dropped off as it blistered. I presume the accepted company will analyse the particles in and under the paint for a proper determination, something vw should do knowing there is an ongoing issue. Will be keeping a close eye on mine.
I can usually spot a respray and the thoughts of having my pride and joy in a paint shop would ruin it for me. Having said that I have just bought a golf gtd in charcoal grey, when I saw it it had a scuff on the driver's door which was a deal breaker for me. However they convinced me to let them repair it and then decide. 1 week later and I honestly can't tell, the metal flake is right, the ripple matches the wing and rear panel,even the paint edges around the door can not be seen or felt. Bought the car. That was parkway at derby. So a perfect job can be done with the right people.

Not a blister but seems vw missed a bit when in the paint shop. I thought it was thick wax/grease they use when new but over time I've noticed it more when cleaning it. Going in for "inspection" 13th june. Its in the offside sliding door channel and I've never had an issue with the door.IMG_20190520_170231.jpg

Not a blister but seems vw missed a bit when in the paint shop. I thought it was thick wax/grease they use when new but over time I've noticed it more when cleaning it. Going in for "inspection" 13th june. Its in the offside sliding door channel and I've never had an issue with the door.View attachment 43749
I would suspect that the hinge has caught the paint while running back n forth. Check the door hasn't dropped!. Common problem.

Back