Paint Blisters

Fob off and forget is the VW aftersales policy. submit a pro corma invoice for a 6k body prep and respray at a decent coachworks.

Just think...a java green t6 yum

Fob off and forget is the VW aftersales policy. submit a pro corma invoice for a 6k body prep and respray at a decent coachworks.

Just think...a java green t6 yum
What will that do.....they'll certainly fob off a 6k invoice! I can almost hear 'em laughing now!

When you google "Zinc Inclusion", it brings up mostly VAG brands, and most people seem to struggle getting satisfaction with warranty claims.:thumbsdown: b****rds
I've just done that.....shocking! I also noticed that a few websites mentioned on the internet that refer to vw corrosion, have disappeared! I'll bet vw have pressured/threatened people to pull these sites down? It is indeed widespread across VAG products.....absolutely shameful! If I get no joy, I can say now with total conviction, I will never buy another vw…..(this is my 6th vw) it'll be back to BMW for me....but before I do that, I'll create a shitstorm for both my dealer AND VW UK. Like I've said......I'm retired and can "devote" the time to torturing my dealer if I feel so inclined! I hope it doesn't come to that but I really don't like being mugged off! :mad:

When you google "Zinc Inclusion", it brings up mostly VAG brands, and most people seem to struggle getting satisfaction with warranty claims.:thumbsdown: b****rds

I was informed, initially by my dealer after the first rejection, and then by VW customer care, that without the official inspection by PVWI at the owners cost, it's always a rejected claim.
Like I mentioned earlier, my dealer wants this fixed and agrees it's a warranty issue, but unless the actual warranty department gives the go ahead, nothing can be done. The official report means they have to accept it's a genuine fault.

The inspector mentioned in all his years with PVWI, not once had a manufacturer disagreed with their findings, and he awaits the day one does and they can get really involved.
This is all just hoops companies make us jump through, hoping that once the customer has to take money out of their pocket they drop the case, which I assume most do.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will that do.....they'll certainly fob off a 6k invoice! I can almost hear 'em laughing now!
The aim is to light a fire under their arzes so that they devote some attention to your problem. At the moment it is your problem and you need to make it their problem.
Get a pro forma invoice from a body shop and tell VW that unless they fix it, you will and that you will go though small claims court to get the money.

I wonder if it would be better to claim, push as a group rather than individuals? As a group surely we could get magazines interested?

Magazines will never criticise VAG because of advertising revenues and the fact that they give out lots of free loan and test cars to the journalists...sorry...staff writers w
What Car? was recommending that the Arteon made a sound buy for a private buyer.

Just for those that have been following this case.

I've just recieved confirmation that VW have now given the go ahead to fix my paint issues, including a full refund for the PVWI inspection into my bank.
The sole reason they've now agreed to rectify the problem is on the back of the inspection, and nothing else.

There you have it folks.
In this same scenario? there's only one way forward, and that's money out of your pocket initially, but you get it back, and your issues agreed by the warranty department :thumbsup:

Just for those that have been following this case.

I've just recieved confirmation that VW have now given the go ahead to fix my paint issues, including a full refund for the PVWI inspection into my bank.
The sole reason they've now agreed to rectify the problem is on the back of the inspection, and nothing else.

There you have it folks.
In this same scenario? there's only one way forward, and that's money out of your pocket initially, but you get it back, and your issues agreed by the warranty department :thumbsup:

I hope this has not been explained elsewhere or that I have overlooked it. What does the abbreviation PVWI stand for? I mean just in case some of us living outside the UK runs int these issues (fingers crossed) it would be good to have an idea who to involve to get it on track.

As I understand the T6 line is being build both in Hannover DE and Poland.
Is there any indications of the issue being tied to specific production sites?

Last edited:
I hope this has not been explained elsewhere or that I have overlooked it. What does the abbreviation PVWI stand for? I mean just in case some of us living outside the UK runs int these issues (fingers crossed) it would be good to have an idea who to involve to get it on track.

As I understand the T6 line is being build both in Hannover DE and Poland.
Is there any indications of the issue being tied to specific production sites?

Paint Inspectors.
http://www.pvwi2010.co.uk/index.htm

Hmmmm I wonder if PVWI could come to a meet like Bala and do a few vans on the same day. I might get in touch and ask if anyone else is interested?

Hmmmm I wonder if PVWI could come to a meet like Bala and do a few vans on the same day. I might get in touch and ask if anyone else is interested?

I assume if you pay your money and they have the date available, they go where ever.

Hi guys, I started this thread over a year ago, but got nowhere with Vw’s warranty department. I paid and had the PVWI inspection, but still the claim was rejected!!
The guy from PVWI was very knowledgable and absolutely 100% sure it was caused by zinc inclusions, but I have to say his report wasn’t as conclusive as his face to face conversations with me! He may be impartial, but he sits on the fence with his conclusions and that’s leads to the report to be read in my favour but also gives enough doubt that VW can stick to their outside influence excuse!...MY ADVICE.. if getting the PVWI inspection, remove any non standard wheels, as inspection will report this as a possible reason for stone chips, same goes for side bars!!..Ask for the PVWI to send you a copy of his report before sending it to VW so you can read it and decide for yourself if the report is actually doing you any favours!!

So after a year of a lot of personal issues, I’m now back in a better place to start fighting the case again. It’s been reopened, looked at again and still refused....so can is going in for it’s second service soon and I am asking for another inspection from the dealers warranty guy....I’m fighting on the reason that they are concentrating on ‘stone chips’ and not the blistering!! Wish me luck..

Any updates from ‘Tourershine’ on your repairs under warranty would be helpful.. if maybe we can use your success to help with our cases?

Any updates from ‘Tourershine’ on your repairs under warranty would be helpful.. if maybe we can use your success to help with our cases?

I'm very surprised to read that the PVWI inspection wasn't conclusive enough, because my report pretty much stated that the spots on mine are due to zinc inclusion, end of. Also, I have side bars, and whacking great 19" banded steels, all obvious on the PVWI report, and excepted as a warranty issue by VW.

However, this isn't the end of the story, and all is well in the Tourershine camp, in fact quite the opposite.
Firstly i'm still waiting for the PVWI costs to be refunded, and apparently it can take months for a 'cheque' to be raised (who uses cheques anymore!)

Secondly, VW have only authorised 'blow in' repairs, meaning they won't pay to have any of the effected panels painted, rather just the spots removed and then the localised areas to be painted only. They will not guarantee this won't 'lacquer peel' in the future, and worst of all, they won't give any guarantee that the spots won't come back. The bodyshop are also saying that there's a high chance that even though they will fix the current spots, that more are highly likely to develop in different places.

Third. They are only aloud to use one manufacture of VW approved paint suppler, and this is common for not matching in certain colours, although he did say Black was 'normally' quite good.

Forth. The N/S rear quarter that's had the sliding door cover fitted incorrectly when manufactured, meaning it's vibrated again the paint, removing it, and resulted in a huge rust scab developing on the rear quarter. This has to go through a different warranty procedure, because it's not a paint fault, rather a mechanical one.

I am left out of pocket, with a crappy decision to make.
Do I just drop the case, have the work done properly and foot the bill myself.
Do I just leave the rust scabs and put up with them until I eventually change the van again.
Or, do I let VW do the work, and prey it all matches, and doesn't look like a patchwork of different paint jobs (4 panels affected altogether)

The spots are growing fast, and are now obvious on the side of the van, where as when they were first reported, they were just tiny spots. The cost to do the job properly could be quite high at my expense, although my bodyshop always looks after me.

Current situation is i'm waiting on the results of the further warranty claims by my dealer, who by the way have been exceptional, honest and factual.
The bodyshop manager can see it's not a builders van, not that this should make a difference anyway, but he knows I know what i'm looking at, and he doesn't want to let a job go out that he's not happy with, but sometimes he can only work with what he's told to work with.
I've even asked if I might be able to contribute towards having the job done correctly, but he said that will run into excessive money.

VW customer care were initially fantastic and got back to me within 48hrs, but this has tailed off, with the last corespondent taking several weeks for them to reply.

I hadn't reported all the above on here as yet, just because it's not a positive outcome as yet, but I'm optimistic that between myself and my dealer, there is a middle ground.

Last edited:
@Tourershine does this warranty claim have a 'use-by-date'?.now that it has been approved can you push the time line to make the most of the time.. i.e let as many develop as possible/get bigger etc?.

@Tourershine does this warranty claim have a 'use-by-date'?.now that it has been approved can you push the time line to make the most of the time.. i.e let as many develop as possible/get bigger etc?.

Sure does mate.... 56 days as of April the 12th. How's that for kicker

Interesting post @Tourershine. I couple of weeks ago I called into VW commercial in Preston. Spoke to the paint warranty person. He has asked me to take some photos and email them. I took some with my phone and emailed them to him. He replied that they were not clear enough, and asked if I could get some better ones. So I got my camera out and took some more, however I've not sent them yeat as the file sizes are too big to email. As he has just returned from 2 weeks holiday I am thinking of goint back to Preston some time this week, maybe Saturday to take the SD card so he can copy them, and if not good enough take some more.
However reading the above I am wondering if its worth the hassle and might as well look into getting them fixed on my own. Or if they are just left how much worse will they get? To me I'm thinking that they are getting worse, but that could also be because I am noticing them a lot more as I work on improving the finish of the paint.

Decisions, decisions.

Back