T6 zinc inclusion paintwork defect... VW taking no responsibility!

KenA

Having noticed a few blisters appearing on my 2016 T6, I took the van to a VW paint and body workshop in Inverness (140-mile round trip). They sent some photos to VW, who, after 3 weeks, said that the issue wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I then spoke to customer services at VW Commercial Vehicles, who advised that I could pay for an independent assessment to be carried out (£200), which I did. The chap also seemed convinced that the issue was due to a manufacturing fault. I sent the report back to VW, who have again stated that it won't be covered under warranty, despite it being a zinc inclusion, which they admit.

I was offered a paltry £200 as a goodwill gesture!

To say that I'm pretty annoyed at VW's slopey shoulders and inability to take responsibility is an understatement, as to rectify this paint issue on a substantial area of my van, is going to cost a fair bit.

You have already spent the money on the independent assessment so keep at it, dont accept there answer and push for more, you have nothing to lose

Have you read this thread, @Tourershine locked horns with VW and had a bit more success but they always try and dismiss you
Social media always seems to get their attention as a last resort

and remember to catalogue all conversations/dialogues and keep records of all dates etc so you can refer back should you need to !

Having noticed a few blisters appearing on my 2016 T6, I took the van to a VW paint and body workshop in Inverness (140-mile round trip). They sent some photos to VW, who, after 3 weeks, said that the issue wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I then spoke to customer services at VW Commercial Vehicles, who advised that I could pay for an independent assessment to be carried out (£200), which I did. The chap also seemed convinced that the issue was due to a manufacturing fault. I sent the report back to VW, who have again stated that it won't be covered under warranty, despite it being a zinc inclusion, which they admit.

I was offered a paltry £200 as a goodwill gesture!

To say that I'm pretty annoyed at VW's slopey shoulders and inability to take responsibility is an understatement, as to rectify this paint issue on a substantial area of my van, is going to cost a fair bit.

As @Pauly Said, I've been here and ended up winning, but the road was very long and took up a lot of my time.

Would I do it again? Probably not.
It was a temporary solution because the same zinc inclusion spots are back with a vengeance and Volkswagen did state that they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't come back in the future and I couldn't make another claim anyway.

Back