Repairing of rusty patches forming on sliding door paintwork

Branwell

T6 Pro
Hi,
Looking for some advice. I was cleaning the van and noticed that the sliding door paintwork had about 5x areas where there appears to be rust forming under the paint. These are small areas, only 5-10mm in diameter but are only going to get worse over time.

As a first step, I have emailed VW customer services to try and get some help, though from other posts on here I expect them to say these are just stone chips and not covered under warranty. (I don't think they are stone chips but can't be 100% certain.)

So based on the photos below, and assuming VW won't help, how best should I get this repaired? Is it a case of cleaning on the localised rust area and applying touch up paint, or should I take it to a body shop to get sorted properly? I should mention I broke the blister when I first discovered the rust, trying to see how bad it was.

It is not what I expected on a 3.5 year old VW van :(

P1004827.JPG

P1004834.JPG

P1004838.JPG

Have a look here:

in particular a thread near the bottom titled ‘Paint Blisters’.

In a nutshell, it’ll cost you a small fee for an examination, which should lead to rectification in the long run.

Let us know what VW say.

Thanks Ads. I read through that thread and it is depressing reading. It sounds like a real hassle to get it sorted by VW, talk about dragging their heels!

I am going to book an appointment my nearest VW dealership and get it looked at. If that does't work then will I see about the independent paint inspection and failing that, I know a good bodyshop who I have used in the past. Will see how much they will charge to sort it, (probably less hassle going for the bodyshop option!)

Thanks Ads. I read through that thread and it is depressing reading. It sounds like a real hassle to get it sorted by VW, talk about dragging their heels!

I am going to book an appointment my nearest VW dealership and get it looked at. If that does't work then will I see about the independent paint inspection and failing that, I know a good bodyshop who I have used in the past. Will see how much they will charge to sort it, (probably less hassle going for the bodyshop option!)
Be interested to know what your local VW dealer say.

I think I’ve got a long battle on my hands regarding this paint imperfection / zinc inclusion issue. Thoroughly cleaned my T6 last week and noticed the imperfections. Thanks to the info on this forum, I looked up the zinc inclusion issue and took my van to VW Van centre (Cleckheaton ) where a service / warranty advisor and branch manager took a look at it. Think it’s fair to say that there were on the defensive instantly regarding the issue so I’m not holding out much hope or a long drawn out affair for VW to deal with it under the anti perforation warranty.

780F3CCD-7F94-48E6-97F4-97D48FCDFE34.jpeg

Decided to bite the bullet on this and pay for the repair myself. The reluctance from VW in actually getting them to do anything was clear, also the dealer in Cleckheaton were clearly obstructive and non committal right from the start (with the exception of getting me a quote in excess of £600 for it done with their bodyshop partners).

Very disappointed in VW with regards to this.

I have exactly the same issue and got the same response from the same dealership a couple of weeks ago!

I think I’ve got a long battle on my hands regarding this paint imperfection / zinc inclusion issue. Thoroughly cleaned my T6 last week and noticed the imperfections. Thanks to the info on this forum, I looked up the zinc inclusion issue and took my van to VW Van centre (Cleckheaton ) where a service / warranty advisor and branch manager took a look at it. Think it’s fair to say that there were on the defensive instantly regarding the issue so I’m not holding out much hope or a long drawn out affair for VW to deal with it under the anti perforation warranty.

View attachment 111799
New member to the Forum following research into the Paint Blisters found on my Kombi T6 (Sliding door), I thought id comment on this post purely because I too had the same NEGATIVE response from the same Cleckheaton Van Centre, the same van centre from where I purchased said van from in 2016 shelling out £36K. Within 20seconds of viewing " Zinc Inclusion" and not covered by the 12 year corrosion warranty. I read that you addressed the issue yourself.

Back