Paint Blisters

Update

Got a phone call from VW Customer care today , they have been advised by the warranty department that this is from 'Outside Influence ' and they will not honour the warranty claim in this case , she said that 'the warranty department have final say and that it ' she said to go to another Van centre to put in another warranty claim and see how it goes -I told no doubt i am wasting my time .....so the call ended with her telling me to go to The Motor Ombudsman | Motor Industry Codes of Practice and see what I get from a complaint against VW ..........totally pissed off and will be going to my dealer tomorrow and speak to the Dealer Principal !

update

Dear Mr Reid

Further to our conversation on 10 May 2018. I understand you have raised a case regarding paint corrosion on your vehicle.

Customers buying new Volkswagens get a three-year paint warranty starting from the date of first registration. This covers the cost of repairs caused by any manufacturing defects with the paintwork, such as dust or dirt trapped beneath the paint. After further investigations, our Warranty Department have advised the areas affected on your vehicle are due to external influence, as such they are not covered under the three-year paint warranty.

For the surface of a body panel to rust, the metal itself must be exposed. When a vehicle drives over a gravelly or loose road surface, small stones can be thrown up which can damage the paint skin. This exposes the metal beneath to air and water, making it susceptible to rust. The cause is the impact of the stone chips and the damage they cause – not a defect in the bodywork.

As we are unable to overturn the decision made our Warranty Department and the dispute cannot be settled, we refer you to The Motor Ombudsman, a CTSI-certified Alternative Dispute Resolution provider that we are prepared to engage with through the ADR procedure. I have included their contact details below:

Advice line: 0345 241 3008

Address:

The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 2BN

As there are no further actions we can take, your case will now be closed. For your records, your case reference is VN945452X.

Of course, should you have any other questions or require any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Thank you once again for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK.

Kind regards

The issue is neither you or VW can prove either way what's caused the issues, and this will be a standard well constructed response to every case against VW about this issue. My bodyshop told me they've seen the same bubbles on loads of VWs and Audi's and in their opinion it's caused by contamination before the paint process, because none of the blisters have any evidence of broken paint, or exposed metal. (or stone chips as the slightly patronising response explains)

I've owned many cars, and vans, and never seen this type of blistering before, but I suspect we won't be the last people to find these defects, and this thread will be resurrected a fair few more times.

Mercedes were just the same with my Vito where it was an even more clear cut manufacturing problem. Vito tailgate body work corrodes around the exterior grab handle. Well known established problem in the community.
Mercedes excuse was even more despicable than this VW example. I was told by the Mercedes paint work assessor that I had been rear ended and had had it repaired poorly. Just an outrageous utter lie.
In the end, I couldn't be doing with the stress. I paid cash to a friend of a friend who has an excellent bodyshop to have the whole tailgate done.

I unfortunately don't know anyone who has successfully claimed on any manufacturers anti-corrosion warranty (usually 10yrs)

I thought the corrosion warranty was longer than three years?

I think the corrosion warranty is 10 years, but paint warranty 3, and VW class them as 2 different warranties according to my information.
Still looks like neither are not worth the paper they are written on though.

On the same subject of warranties, I was really hoping that moving to VW was going to be a much smoother process when warranty work arrises, because my previous brand new Vivaro had dozens of issues that I assumed were warranty related, but not once did they uphold a claim, hence why I finally gave up and moved to VW.

mine has small blemishes on the bonnet....only really visible in strong sunlight.....bloody annoying!

Now I'm a member of the club! Right in front of the rear arch. Mine weirdly has tiny little "satellite" blisters all around the main blister. I'm not sure whether to even bother having a go at VW.....partly because, as @Tourershine says, their work wont be up to much....suspect I'll be visiting an independent. I'm no paint expert but I think it's a fault as opposed to stone damage.

I think the corrosion warranty is 10 years, but paint warranty 3, and VW class them as 2 different warranties according to my information.
Still looks like neither are not worth the paper they are written on though.

On the same subject of warranties, I was really hoping that moving to VW was going to be a much smoother process when warranty work arrises, because my previous brand new Vivaro had dozens of issues that I assumed were warranty related, but not once did they uphold a claim, hence why I finally gave up and moved to VW.

post 52

it's old but possibly relevant

post 52

it's old but possibly relevant

An interesting read that makes sense, albeit from 2012 and things may have shifted with VW or not.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as mine stands with only a couple of blisters, I wouldn't want the potential headache of dealing with VW, and possibly a repair i'm not happy with (that's only down to previous experience with Sytner and a BMW) The blisters are barely visible at the moment, but I do keep my eye on them incase they grow, and as I spend more time than some, cleaning and waxing my van, I know pretty much every millimetre of my paintwork, so know if something changes, or a new chip/scratch/blister appears.

I also don't think this problem will be isolated to several vans, and I suspect that many other T6's have these blisters that just haven't been seen yet. They won't appear overnight, and yours @mopardave might of been there for some time, just not noticed.
I'm watching this issue with interest.

@Tourershine…...I'm reluctant to let VW sort it because I've had some bad experiences with main agent paint repairs.....I also had a perfect one but that was, funnily enough, a similar thing but with a BMW. Here's how it's going to go:
Me: My paint's falling off!
VW: Right.....what's that got to do with us?
Me: Well, call me old fashioned but I just thought you might be interested?
VW: No we're not.....it's obviously something you've done so get stuffed. If you don't like it, go to the ombudsman.
Me: Not even a teeny bit interested?
VW: Nope......go away dick head.....we're busy selling vans......capeesh!
Me: I'll take that as a "no" then?
VW: Take it anyway you like...…...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Me: Hello......hello......hello...…….w*nkers!
My biggest fear is that it'll get worse and be a recurrent problem!:thumbsdown:

Quick update on the paint blister! Been to dealer today......they measured the paint thickness to prove I've not been doing some amateur rattle can body repairs! The lad that looked at it said all the right things.....but that he'd have to pass it up the food chain for a decision. So basically, I'm waiting for them to start laughing down the phone at me as they tell me to get stuffed! Also mentioned the splitting drivers door seal.....couldn't get a decision on that either. Got to go back next Thursday for someone else to look at that.....ffs, give me strength! Watch the news next Thursday.....there may be an article about how a VW Transporter owner dressed like Michael Douglas, re enacted a scene from "Falling Down"! @Tourershine.....did you get anything done yet?

Oh yeh…..and I was told something about VW batting off warranty claims of all descriptions.....no names, no pack drill....don't want to betray a confidence......but f*ck me! Not feeling the love gents. Have a horrible feeling I won't be replacing mine with another, but we'll see how this all plays out.....what a shame cos this is stopping me spending any more money on mine!!:mad:

Quick update on the paint blister! Been to dealer today......they measured the paint thickness to prove I've not been doing some amateur rattle can body repairs! The lad that looked at it said all the right things.....but that he'd have to pass it up the food chain for a decision. So basically, I'm waiting for them to start laughing down the phone at me as they tell me to get stuffed! Also mentioned the splitting drivers door seal.....couldn't get a decision on that either. Got to go back next Thursday for someone else to look at that.....ffs, give me strength! Watch the news next Thursday.....there may be an article about how a VW Transporter owner dressed like Michael Douglas, re enacted a scene from "Falling Down"! @Tourershine.....did you get anything done yet?

Not yet no, mine will possibly be going into my own bodyshop whist i'm on holiday in August for a couple of bits of paintwork, and tempted to let them do the blisters at the same time.

I love that film me.

Another update....chased up my dealer the other day. Body shop manager told me there are lots of people in front of me in the queue....it's been approx 4 months since they sent the photos off to VW! He said that a division of VAG has been overwhelmed by paint warranty claims and all the body shop's in VAG are involved in sorting the backlog! He wouldn't tell me which division or which cars/vans are involved! I think they'll tell me to get stuffed personally. Anyway, there's a problem with VAG paint and they're being very cagey! I've also been told that since the emissions scandal that cost them a fortune....they're not honouring warranty claims that once upon a time, they'd have honoured without question!! :mad:

I had an interesting conversation today with my dealer.
I'd pointed out my rust blisters on the last service, and the bodyshop management agreed they were as I thought 'Rust Blisters' and also agreed to pursue this problem with VW on my behalf because in their words, it's a genuine issue that should be covered by my warranty.
I popped in today whist passing and had a chat with the guys, who showed me the paperwork that stated the standard VW response of 'External Influence' and warranty claim rejected. They did however want a couple more pictures of the full van for VW's paperwork system to close the case, which seemed odd. Anyway, I was also told if I wasn't happy with the outcome, to take this up with The Motor Ombudsman, where I will be personally responsible for any costs for inspections.
I wasn't actually going to follow this up because I would of rectified it myself anyway, but i'm now thinking that it might be worth pushing this further simply because of the blatant disregard to what I still see as a genuine fault.

Has anyone else actually gone further with this issue?

Another update....chased up my dealer the other day. Body shop manager told me there are lots of people in front of me in the queue....it's been approx 4 months since they sent the photos off to VW! He said that a division of VAG has been overwhelmed by paint warranty claims and all the body shop's in VAG are involved in sorting the backlog! He wouldn't tell me which division or which cars/vans are involved! I think they'll tell me to get stuffed personally. Anyway, there's a problem with VAG paint and they're being very cagey! I've also been told that since the emissions scandal that cost them a fortune....they're not honouring warranty claims that once upon a time, they'd have honoured without question!! :mad:

I had an interesting conversation today with my dealer.
I'd pointed out my rust blisters on the last service, and the bodyshop management agreed they were as I thought 'Rust Blisters' and also agreed to pursue this problem with VW on my behalf because in their words, it's a genuine issue that should be covered by my warranty.
I popped in today whist passing and had a chat with the guys, who showed me the paperwork that stated the standard VW response of 'External Influence' and warranty claim rejected. They did however want a couple more pictures of the full van for VW's paperwork system to close the case, which seemed odd. Anyway, I was also told if I wasn't happy with the outcome, to take this up with The Motor Ombudsman, where I will be personally responsible for any costs for inspections.
I wasn't actually going to follow this up because I would of rectified it myself anyway, but i'm now thinking that it might be worth pushing this further simply because of the blatant disregard to what I still see as a genuine fault.

Has anyone else actually gone further with this issue?
Not taken it any further @Tourershine......but I've now been waiting almost a year for a decision! As I said in my previous post, the body shop guy admitted to me that VAG have got a massive paintwork problem with one of their brands....he wouldn't tell me which.....and all VAG body shops are working flat out to resolve it, hence being mere van owners, we've been pushed to the bottom of the queue. The body shop guy who checked mine rolled his eyes in a knowing sort of way and admitted that HE didn't think mine was down to a stone chip.....and even if it was, I have stone chips on my bonnet that haven't started to rust. My opinion for what it's worth.....I'd put money on it that the problem lies with Audi so they get priority! Meanwhile the rest of us are paying for the emissions scandal that nearly brought VAG down.....and I might add, a technician at my dealership also admitted that VW are now rejecting warranty claims that prior to them being caught red handed, they'd have settled.....wow!! Of course, I can't quote the guy, even though I know his name......because he'd lose his job for sure and I don't want that on my conscience!! Is the Ombudsman going to want to upset VAG......nope! I'm angry about this but short of spouting a load of "I'm gunna do this.....and I'm gunna do that" b*llocks......I'm not sure what in reality CAN be done.....but I don't want to roll over either!! Aaaaaargh!!!! I'm fairly certain of one thing though.....this is my second and quite probably last Transporter and these warranty issues have stopped me spending any more money on mine and god knows, I did fancy spending a few grand......heater, awning, caravelle seats.....not bothering now!
Rant over 'cos the lovely Mrs MD has just plonked a G and T in front of me 'cos it's been the day/week from hell!!!!!:mad:

Last edited:
Well I've emailed VWCV head office requesting the research documentation that led VW to the conclusion 'outside influences'
I promised that once it's proven that the issues are down to 'outside influences' and not contamination from the inside outwards, causing the blisters, I will happily rectify the problem myself and consider the matter closed.
I hold out little hope, but will be interested in their response. I'm genuinely gutted that things have been dealt with in this way, but if I have to rectify the issue at my cost, it's not the end of the world, and certainly won't stop me buying another T6 or T7.

Back