OEM Headunit Problems [Merge]

Van went back into VW van center Liverpool on 22/12/20 for second diagnostics and a software upgrade, total invoice £102.30. the faults have now been rectified, I was told to monitor the system over the coming weeks and if it reoccured they would look to fit a replacement unit. VW customer services rang me today 29/12/20 and said any further issues to ring them direct and they would see what goodwill could be given. so fingers crossed at this stage all seems ok.

I’m getting exactly the same, again on a 2016 T6, it’s got its own poltergeist, tried sending me to Iceland via the satnav the other day. I was quoted north of £1700 to do a like for like replacement from a VW independent garage.
interested to know how katmav1 managed to get VW to pay - how far out of warranty was it?
I’ll be ringing VW to talk about a software update, will let you know how that plays out..
THE SOFTWARE UPGRADE SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED ON MINE, UP TO NOW, COST £102 WITH DIAGNOSTICS AT VW LIVERPOOL. GOOD LUCK

Glad that worked for you, I just had the diagnostic done at Sinclair Cardiff for £90, they thought the update had worked and it hasn’t. Over £2.5k for a new head unit...
Think I’m going to move to an after market unit as well as speaker upgrades and soundproofing, all for about the same price as the VW replacement head...

Hello all, I’m a newbie to the forum. I have a 2016 (red/white version) and my infotainment screen has gone awry. The touchscreen no longer works, and the screen now just shows each function flying by!!

All help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
David

Had similar issue with touchscreen failure with discover media system.
seems to be a common problem on the internet and it isn’t a software problem.
just had a new screen fitted and all sorted !
great service from Ian at Ingleby Electronics

Had similar issue with touchscreen failure with discover media system.
seems to be a common problem on the internet and it isn’t a software problem.
just had a new screen fitted and all sorted !
great service from Ian at Ingleby Electronics
Was yours ghosting (like the screen was being pressed)? What was the cost?

My Discovery media unit (2016 van) also started to do the same phantom presses changing station etc today look like I will be going the Kenwood or similar route!

Has anyone tried taking theirs apart just wondering if its possible to electrically disconnect just the touch screen part on its own? I really don't want to waste hundreds of pounds replacing it when all I generally do is stream Spotify from my phone and I can control pretty much all the functions I need to use using the buttons and knobs

So I decided to strip down the radio today turns out it is very easy I've cleaned the connections cleaned all the dirt and dust off the screen and put back together its working ok at the moment but I suspect it will pack up again I've managed to find a replacement digitiser screen on ebay for just over £20 so Im going to give that ago next time it packs up

3479FF7C-54C1-4C12-875F-0F0293F99262.jpeg

46344B65-DCCD-4650-8C72-81FBEA875D28.jpeg

63952DCC-F8D5-4BF8-93D7-84F3459BEC7C.jpeg

49794BD5-5110-4F91-8290-17B5A365F1DD.jpeg

8A50800F-5FE4-4BEE-8708-B824D41A7D1F.jpeg

00304AB3-EF47-4372-8AC8-16A0592153FB.jpeg

361131D5-CB33-4F6E-AB13-606EBF041EA6.jpeg

So I decided to strip down the radio today turns out it is very easy I've cleaned the connections cleaned all the dirt and dust off the screen and put back together its working ok at the moment but I suspect it will pack up again I've managed to find a replacement digitiser screen on ebay for just over £20 so Im going to give that ago next time it packs up

View attachment 117118

View attachment 117119

View attachment 117120

View attachment 117121

View attachment 117122

View attachment 117123

View attachment 117124
That’s a lot cheaper than the £200 going rate to repair it!

Awesome effort with the strip down! Did you happen to see what it looks like where the SD card slot is? I’ve also managed to get a card stuck in mine (it’s push in further than it should go)

Also, just to clarify your symptoms prior to the strip and clean. You mentioned you had phantom presses. Did the touch screen respond when you wanted it to as well? The last few time I used mine it seems the phantom presses have stopped but there’s still a segment of the touch screen that won’t respond to any input from me.

Hi Andy

I didnt take too much notice of the SD card slot but you can get to it circled in red on the photo you can see the card on the other side so should be able to get it out

when I had the phantom presses screen became unresponsive wouldn’t do anything although it is working fine at the moment there is a dead spot about 2 inch square at the top right hand corner just means I can’t use the return arrow I have to press a button instead Im going to order a new digitizer as its only £20 and will replace if it gives me any further problems

Cheers
Stuart

CE9B0F58-38C8-46CD-9487-5D3095D752E1.jpeg

Thanks for responding, there’s very limited information regarding the internals of these units. I managed to use the knob to turn on the ‘beep’ sound when the screen is touched. I then dragged my finger around the screen to see which bits responded. I seem to have a non responsive band from top to bottom about an inch or two wide and about an inch from the right hand side. I’m living with it for now but it would be great if you could keep us all updated if you do successfully change the digitiser out.

thanks, Andy

Hi Andy

I didnt take too much notice of the SD card slot but you can get to it circled in red on the photo you can see the card on the other side so should be able to get it out

when I had the phantom presses screen became unresponsive wouldn’t do anything although it is working fine at the moment there is a dead spot about 2 inch square at the top right hand corner just means I can’t use the return arrow I have to press a button instead Im going to order a new digitizer as its only £20 and will replace if it gives me any further problems

Cheers
Stuart

View attachment 117226
Are any special tools needed @Coradia63?

I swapped the display on mine as it developed the ghost touch jitters and became unusable and I still have my old faulty one in the garage, may see if I can fix it up for someone

Its just small torx bits you need something like a T10 & T6 don't quote me on exact sizes thou as I didnt look! I've ordered the digitizer its from china so can take up to 6 weeks to be delivered I will have a go at fitting and post the results when I get it

Back