You can see the current connection on the picture - only this few wires???
Current - is this before retrofit? What kind of control panel (in the cabin) it was originally?

No current is after retrofit. Finally only 3 wires go out in the engine compartment - 1x compressor and 2 x high-pressure sender:thumbsdown:. Below you can see the old control panel and the new one..

IMG20211005143559.jpg

IMG20211005143607.jpg

Reactions: mmi
Hi all, I completed my retrofitting on Friday - so far the aircon has been working very well.

Unfortunately, the rear window heating is not working - I had my concerns about this in advance. The light goes on for about a second and then goes off again. Does anyone of you have any idea why this could be? Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Michael

Unfortunately, the rear window heating is not working - I had my concerns about this in advance. The light goes on for about a second and then goes off again. Does anyone of you have any idea why this could be?
Perhaps time to revive an old thread - unfortunately it wasn't resolved then...

Hi mmi, thank you very much for your help - the important information in the thread was "Byte 15 of Central Elec". The problem is solved now and the rear window heating is also working. Nevertheless I have a final question what is the difference between "Bidirectional Climate Control" and "Semi-Automatic Climate Control"? I have choosed the first one so far. Best regrads Michael

what is the difference between "Bidirectional Climate Control" and "Semi-Automatic Climate Control"?
In what context - engine coding?
Anyways - Semi-Automatic should be the Climatic (as in your picture above - the same as mine, and the coding below)

1633974646073.png
So Bidirectional should then be the fancy Climatronic - with digital displays and left/right vent temperatures controlled independently.

Last edited:
Yes, in the context engine coding. Thank you very much.
I chosed the "Bidirectional Climate Control" because that was the description in a thread by Adam_T6 at the very beginning and its control panel looks almost the same as mine.

See text from Adam below:

VCDS coding

Engine control module
Long coding
Byte 3
Select '02 Biderectional Climate Control (Climatic) installed'

VCDS.jpg

Hello mmi, this evening I tried to chance to "Semi-Automatic Climate Control" but got the report "Error 31: Request is out of range". After that I choose "No OR Manual Climate Control" what was accepted and back to "Bidirectional Climate Contol" was also accepted??? Do you know the reason? Best regards Michael

Yes, in the context engine coding. Thank you very much.
I chosed the "Bidirectional Climate Control" because that was the description in a thread by Adam_T6 at the very beginning and its control panel looks almost the same as mine.

See text from Adam below:

VCDS coding

Engine control module
Long coding
Byte 3
Select '02 Biderectional Climate Control (Climatic) installed'

VCDS.jpg

Just run through my T6 VCDS scan collection and discovered the following:
  • T6 with EU5 diesel engines = engine software starting with 03L indeed have AC coded as "02 Bidirectional..."
  • T6 with EU6 diesel engines = AdbLue = engine software starting with 04L have AC coded as "04 Semi-Automatic..." (no difference in coding between Climatic or Climatronic)

Hello mmi, this evening I tried to chance to "Semi-Automatic Climate Control" but got the report "Error 31: Request is out of range". After that I choose "No OR Manual Climate Control" what was accepted and back to "Bidirectional Climate Contol" was also accepted??? Do you know the reason? Best regards Michael
So your engine must be 03L... :geek: ??

Hi all,

just resurrecting an old thread, as (in anticipation of the few days heat of the British summer) I'm about to embark on this mod.

I've just been reading through this again to refamiliarize myself with whats involved and the only bit that's got me wondering is mention of the 'center vent temp sensor' (pins 16&17 of the T17A connector above heater box). Is this something at all models have, i,e my non AC manual control will have this sensor already or is it something i still need to obtain/retrofit?

I just want to be as sure as i can be i have all the bits and i can part make up all the looms ready so the vans not in bits for any longer than it has to be.

Thanks all

The centre vent temp sensor is actually fitted in the drivers side outer vent. The standard non aircon van doesn't have this so you will need to purchase one and wire it
into the loom.
Hi all,

just resurrecting an old thread, as (in anticipation of the few days heat of the British summer) I'm about to embark on this mod.

I've just been reading through this again to refamiliarize myself with whats involved and the only bit that's got me wondering is mention of the 'center vent temp sensor' (pins 16&17 of the T17A connector above heater box). Is this something at all models have, i,e my non AC manual control will have this sensor already or is it something i still need to obtain/retrofit?

I just want to be as sure as i can be i have all the bits and i can part make up all the looms ready so the vans not in bits for any longer than it has to be.

Thanks all

Hi folks,

I'm about to get my T6.1 booked into AlipneAir for a AirCon fit.

When I last spoke to the manager he provided the photo included in the post to show how the aircon would be switched on/off. After having another read of this thread I'm a little worried that by not having the aircon coded into the van is going to cause problems.

Are any of you able to give me some pointers on questions I should be asking prior to committing to the work and also give me some ideas on potential problems that I may face if I go down this route?

Potential issues/questions I'm thinking about include:
  1. On a normal system, if the aircon is on and then I turn of the blowers, the aircon is powered off. Will the "to be system" perform the same, or will I need to remember to turn the aircon off.
  2. If the "to be system" is simply on/off how hard would it be to get it wired up and coded into the vans system?
  3. The part of the dashboard when the button is placed, how easy would it be to get a replacement should it prove possible to wire correctly into the van and fit the control unit that has the aircon button?
Really grateful for any advice/tips.

Many thanks

Shaun

unnamed.jpg

Hi folks,

I'm about to get my T6.1 booked into AlipneAir for a AirCon fit.

Potential issues/questions I'm thinking about include:
  1. On a normal system, if the aircon is on and then I turn of the blowers, the aircon is powered off. Will the "to be system" perform the same, or will I need to remember to turn the aircon off.
  2. If the "to be system" is simply on/off how hard would it be to get it wired up and coded into the vans system?
  3. The part of the dashboard when the button is placed, how easy would it be to get a replacement should it prove possible to wire correctly into the van and fit the control unit that has the aircon button?
Hi Sean,

The OEM route and aftermarket (alpineair) are 2 completely different directions and unlikely to be interchangeable in any way

With the OEM route it will behave how VW intended it to, with After market it is really dependant on how the installers kit interfaces, so if your going down the AlpineAir route, they would be the best people to answer those questions.

id speculate that that AC button simply turns on and off the compressor (to make the cold happen!) and the existing controls work as they always did.

The centre vent temp sensor is actually fitted in the drivers side outer vent. The standard non aircon van doesn't have this so you will need to purchase one and wire it
into the loom.
Thanks @need4speed for the information, I'm glad i asked as i clearly missed his last year when i got all of the other bits.

Just to reclarify, is this part needed for all variants? did you also use 'Biderectional Climate Control (Climatic)' coding in your install as @Adam_T6 used and as @mmi suggested? i wondered if this temp sensor was only used in the semi automatic and automatic variants.

Also good steer on it not being in the center vent as its description would indicate! i don't suppose anyone has a part number?

Last edited:
Is there anyone doing the aircon retrofit, I'm interested for my 2016 T6? I don't want the aftermarket one from Alpine Air I heard is a hit and miss and also the price now is ridiculous. I would love to do it myself but I don't have a suitable location.

Great write up adam , I assume there differnt wireing for 2019 climate ac ? And is the climate pannel powered by canbus. , as I wired the. Main earth and 12v / and the 2 wires from control pannel earth and 12v but only fan speeds work

Back